Finasteride and Nizoral - initial observations

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, I know 10 days of use don't mean a thing, but I'm gonna post my observations regardless :p

1. I've seen the picture that explains how to split Proscar into 5 pieces, but haven't been able to duplicate that success :wink:

2. I'm already experiencing one of finasteride's side effects (a decrease in the amount of semen).

3. I've been getting every possible side effect associated with Nizoral 2%: Scalp is very itchy for about 4 hours (during which I also sense a slight headache), and somewhat itchy for another 8 hours. I do feel the benefit of having the place less oily, but my hair is now considerably more difficult to style.

Let me know your thoughts :)

Avri

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
No comments but I am also on day 10 of finasteride. I don't think I've noticeed any sexual side effects but trying not to think about it much. I tried Nizorelle (a UK version same ingredients) I think its 1% cos it was on the shelf, but it didn't say. I used it in a mioxture of t_gel, no irritation at all.

Also take MSM 1000g as of today. May start on minoxidil soon

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll switch to Nizoral 1% too, to lessen the side effects. I've also been keeping it on the scalp for 20 minutes each time, rather than the recommended 5. So from now on I'll be playing by the rules. :wink:

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Yikes... 20 minutes?

1% for 5 minutes, maximum, is sufficient.

HairLossTalk.com

KeVlaR

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with using 2% but leaving it on for 20min. is plain insanity. Of course you have irritation now.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd limit the use of nouns like "insanity" to situations a bit more dramatic than mine :p Yes, it was my bad; I originally thought it was meant to be there for a minimum of 5 minutes, and only later realized my mistake. Thanks for your advice, pharoh, HairLossTalk.com and n00p :wink:

G

It's both a crap and pointless task if you don't add minoxidil.

minoxidil is the one that improves things in a short period of time by re-growing lost hair.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Gunner said:

minoxidil is the one that improves things in a short period of time by re-growing lost hair.
Then how come minoxidil doesn't show in your regimen here? Even if it did show, how were you able to tell it's the minoxidil you added that made the difference, and not the finasteride that's kicking in?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Gunner said:

I think it depends on what his goals are. Yes if substantial hairgrowth is targeted then minoxidil is essential. If hes trying to keep the hair he has and is not losing at a decent clip and just wants to do a little filling in, propecia and nizoral is not a bad idea for 8-12 months to determine if he gets his desired results.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

You're right, ShedMaster, my primary goal is to maintain what I still have (Norwood 2).

Good news:
Using Nizoral by the book eliminated all its side effects. Sorry for such an obvious case of RTFM (Read the Fu***en Manual) :mrgreen:

avri