Finasteride and minoxidil shedding 3 months finasteride 8 months minoxidil

Utopia888

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello there, so I have been on minoxidil for 8 months now and I added finasteride 3 months ago
Everything was good no shedding(20 hairs per day maximum) until I complete 1.5 months on finasteride I started to feel itch in my scalp with increased shedding(80-190 hairs per day) this continues 3 weeks then the rate decreased to 60-140 hairs per day for one week then it is stable on 50-90 hairs per day until now I am really confused why I shed until now I read that you must shed the weak small hairs
I am shedding both strong and weak hairs let's say 70% weak and 30% strong
Will they come back, should I continue on this regimen
Notices:
I changed my diet recently
I reduced my minoxidil dose to once per day because I thought that itch was from it
What do you advice me to do

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello there, so I have been on minoxidil for 8 months now and I added finasteride 3 months ago
Everything was good no shedding(20 hairs per day maximum) until I complete 1.5 months on finasteride I started to feel itch in my scalp with increased shedding(80-190 hairs per day) this continues 3 weeks then the rate decreased to 60-140 hairs per day for one week then it is stable on 50-90 hairs per day until now I am really confused why I shed until now I read that you must shed the weak small hairs
I am shedding both strong and weak hairs let's say 70% weak and 30% strong
Will they come back, should I continue on this regimen
Notices:
I changed my diet recently
I reduced my minoxidil dose to once per day because I thought that itch was from it
What do you advice me to do
Did you also experience a shed in the 5 months you were only using minoxidil? What’s your dosage of Finasteride? Did you experience a period of increased libido or acne since starting it?

It is fairly common for Finasteride users to experience a shed during the first year. Many have reported increased itch during that shed too. We don’t really know what causes it. It can take time for the body to adapt to the drug.

Hair grows in cycles and asynchronously naturally. Hair treatment drugs will synchronize hair growth and part of that process involves a necessary shed regardless of whether it’s a weak/strong hair. What matters is that the shedding eventually decreases and stabilizes…which seems to be the case now for you. This is a good sign.

At this point you will hopefully start to notice new growth after a brief dormancy period. If you are tolerating the drug, just try to stay consistent and reevaluate in 6-9 months.

Utopia888

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you also experience a shed in the 5 months you were only using minoxidil? What’s your dosage of Finasteride? Did you experience a period of increased libido or acne since starting it?

It is fairly common for Finasteride users to experience a shed during the first year. Many have reported increased itch during that shed too. We don’t really know what causes it. It can take time for the body to adapt to the drug.

Hair grows in cycles and asynchronously naturally. Hair treatment drugs will synchronize hair growth and part of that process involves a necessary shed regardless of whether it’s a weak/strong hair. What matters is that the shedding eventually decreases and stabilizes…which seems to be the case now for you. This is a good sign.

At this point you will hopefully start to notice new growth after a brief dormancy period. If you are tolerating the drug, just try to stay consistent and reevaluate in 6-9 months.
I had shedding after 3-4 months of minoxidil yes
My dose of finasteride is 1.25 mg per day
About sexual and libido before I use finasteride I was masturbating 2 times per day after starting it in the first 1.5 months I was masturbating 3 times each week I had low desire of it that was good for me my sex drive was good
But before 2 weeks I was masturbating 3 times per day there was increased libido yes but now I only do it once per day,I had low acne, I gained 1 kg of muscles in 1.5 week in gym
About body hair I already have thick body hair and beard long time ago
I am afraid that it goes reflex I heard terrible experiences here
I am 21 years old now, there is no bald areas just thininng in the crown and left template I noticed some new hairs I can feel them with my hands
Please tell me that it is not reflex

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
RH is something that only seems to exist in the forums. That being said, I cannot dismiss so many anecdotal accounts of it over the years either. I do know that many finasteride users briefly experience something akin to it in the early months after starting the drug and in most of these people it seems to resolve itself as their bodies adapt. I cannot diagnose you but what you have experienced so far is not exactly uncommon.

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had shedding after 3-4 months of minoxidil yes
My dose of finasteride is 1.25 mg per day
About sexual and libido before I use finasteride I was masturbating 2 times per day after starting it in the first 1.5 months I was masturbating 3 times each week I had low desire of it that was good for me my sex drive was good
But before 2 weeks I was masturbating 3 times per day there was increased libido yes but now I only do it once per day,I had low acne, I gained 1 kg of muscles in 1.5 week in gym
About body hair I already have thick body hair and beard long time ago
I am afraid that it goes reflex I heard terrible experiences here
I am 21 years old now, there is no bald areas just thininng in the crown and left template I noticed some new hairs I can feel them with my hands
Please tell me that it is not reflex

Since you don’t have a heavy increase of oily scalp/forhead then I wouldn’t worry about reflex at all.

Utopia888

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since you don’t have a heavy increase of oily scalp/forhead then I wouldn’t worry about reflex at all.
My scalp and my forhead is not oily now temperature now is 12 c° but the last summer before I start any treatments it was a bit oily at temperature 35 c° I don't know if it is related to temperature but it is dry most of times now

Jonah

My Regimen
Reaction score
My scalp and my forhead is not oily now temperature now is 12 c° but the last summer before I start any treatments it was a bit oily at temperature 35 c° I don't know if it is related to temperature but it is dry most of times now
Ok thats good to hear. Regardless of temperature - if you had RH then you will notice a heavy increase of oilyness.