finasteride And Min, Palmar Erythema Red Patches On Hands And Feet

Tarzan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi folks

I've been suffering from hairloss for around 10 years ever since I turned 25 when I noticed gradual progressive shedding in the shower. I started a course of minoxidil 6 years ago but stopped taking it after 1 year due to life circumstances, the treatment was working but I just had bigger things to worry about at the time and didn't care about going bald.

Fast forward to last month and I realise having seen myself in the mirror just how bad my hair loss has become (around norwood 3 vertex to 4) that I started a course of finesteride 1mg along with 5mg minoxidil. All was going well until last week when I started getting red patches on my hands and now recently my feet. They look like mini scold marks and feel itchy at best or like you've been burnt when pressure is applied. I googled it up and it looks like a case of Palmar Erythema, a condition that signals something is up with your liver or hormones. Pregnant women tend to get this due to the increase in oestrogen in their system.

I should also add that around the same time I started the hairloss treatment I also started going to the gym lifting weights and taking supplements. Around a week before the red patches started flaring up I started taking creatine and one of the tests for liver issues is your blood creatine levels. I went to see the Dr who initially dismissed it as just a sporting injury as it was only on one hand although the marks have since appeared on both hands and now feet. Because I told him about the creatine supplements he decided not to take any risks and ordered a blood test. The results were inconclusive and they have asked me to do one again next week.

Obviously something is not right and I have stopped taking everything, except the minoxidil. So no weight training supplements or even the finesteride since 5 days ago. I'm still getting the red patches and it's now progressed to my feet as well.

Please could anyone share their experience or opinion as to what may be going on and the best way forward. Initially I thought about taking the finesteride at half a dose as it was already working regards the reduction in shedding but after careful consideration it's best not to take anymore until the blood tests are more conclusive.

TL;DR- I've developed itchy red patches on my hands and now feet, feel like burn marks when pressure applied. Started appearing 1 month into course of 1mg finasteride and 5mg minoxidil, but also one month into weight training, taking loads of multivits and 1 week into taking creatine. Had blood tests, inconclusive so taking another one next week. Anyone have similar experiences?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi folks

I've been suffering from hairloss for around 10 years ever since I turned 25 when I noticed gradual progressive shedding in the shower. I started a course of minoxidil 6 years ago but stopped taking it after 1 year due to life circumstances, the treatment was working but I just had bigger things to worry about at the time and didn't care about going bald.

Fast forward to last month and I realise having seen myself in the mirror just how bad my hair loss has become (around norwood 3 vertex to 4) that I started a course of finesteride 1mg along with 5mg minoxidil. All was going well until last week when I started getting red patches on my hands and now recently my feet. They look like mini scold marks and feel itchy at best or like you've been burnt when pressure is applied. I googled it up and it looks like a case of Palmar Erythema, a condition that signals something is up with your liver or hormones. Pregnant women tend to get this due to the increase in oestrogen in their system.

I should also add that around the same time I started the hairloss treatment I also started going to the gym lifting weights and taking supplements. Around a week before the red patches started flaring up I started taking creatine and one of the tests for liver issues is your blood creatine levels. I went to see the Dr who initially dismissed it as just a sporting injury as it was only on one hand although the marks have since appeared on both hands and now feet. Because I told him about the creatine supplements he decided not to take any risks and ordered a blood test. The results were inconclusive and they have asked me to do one again next week.

Obviously something is not right and I have stopped taking everything, except the minoxidil. So no weight training supplements or even the finesteride since 5 days ago. I'm still getting the red patches and it's now progressed to my feet as well.

Please could anyone share their experience or opinion as to what may be going on and the best way forward. Initially I thought about taking the finesteride at half a dose as it was already working regards the reduction in shedding but after careful consideration it's best not to take anymore until the blood tests are more conclusive.

TL;DR- I've developed itchy red patches on my hands and now feet, feel like burn marks when pressure applied. Started appearing 1 month into course of 1mg finasteride and 5mg minoxidil, but also one month into weight training, taking loads of multivits and 1 week into taking creatine. Had blood tests, inconclusive so taking another one next week. Anyone have similar experiences?

I've read 10 years worth of threads and comments in this section (going back to 09) and this is probably the first time anyone signals this type of side effect. If this is from finasteride, it is probably a very rare side. (I am not saying it is or it's not). Since you've started finasteride, minoxidil and loads of supplements, it's kinda hard to pinpoint which drug/supplement causes the concerns. Finasteride absolutely can wreck the life of a small number of people (small compared to the general population taking it) but it can also be a godsend for those that get good results and no sides (or sides they can live with) so it's a tough choice whether u should continue or not. The thing is that many of the OTC supplements can be pretty dangerous because they are not regulated. While finasteride and minoxidil have somewhat known risks, many supplements (especially the enhancing ones) can have unknown risks. If I were you, I would prioritize my goals: hair gains/maintenance v.s. body building. Not meaning that you have to stop working out but if you decide to fina and/or minoxidil, cut other supplements for now (especially enhancing ones). If hair loss is your main concern then maybe start/continue w/ finasteride if that's the road u wanna take, give it six months and see if it sits well in your body (without stressing about sides but also not being ignorant to them - this is not a sugar pill - some ppl also recommend taking zinc along with finasteride) then maybe add minoxidil, follow the same course and then, if all goes well, maybe add creatine if really needed or whatever supplements needed for your workout.

This way you have a better chance to monitor any flaring of sides and their probable source than starting all at once.

chak

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same problem as yours, palmar erythema (2 months after back to finasteride and minoxidil).Could you please update your finding. Please let me know what cuases it. Thank you very much.