hair density after 4 years of continuous
finasteride therapy, and (d) hair
regrowth after addition of low-dose
dutasteride to finasteride therapy.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have really aggressive hairloss then I could understand taking both finasteride and dutasteride, but be careful on both. Finasteride and nizoral have done a lot for me. When I first noticed my hairloss I thought "that's it, it's over" but 13 months in and I'm seeing more and more temple/hairline regrowth/thicken with those two alone.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That doesn't really show so much that finasteride+dutasteride combined is more effective, as much as it shows that dutasteride is more effective than finasteride. I don't see any reason to combine the two if you are already taking dutasteride. If you are on finasteride, you could drop it and take dutasteride and expect the same results without the added risks.

paulsteel0

Reaction score
For those, who still haven't seen the photos from this article:
View attachment 19783
Figure 1 Clinical photographs of
patient showing (a) baseline pretreatment,
(b) good response after 6 months
of finasteride therapy, (c) reduction in
hair density after 4 years of continuous
finasteride therapy, and (d) hair
regrowth after addition of low-dose
dutasteride to finasteride therapy.

Thanks for the post. I am doing this right now. I am one and a half months in. Getting a little freaked out how the middle of my head has thinned out these past two weeks though. I never thought only 1 pill a week could induce a significant shed. I am wrong about that. Hoping for the best. Guess it means it's working. I get nervous though because 99% of posts it seems about duasteride are about how they shed and it never came back.

- - - Updated - - -

what the 'low dose' refers to?

0.5mg dutasteride once a week

- - - Updated - - -

This dude is on finasteride and a low dose of dutasteride:

At fist:

View attachment 19784

seven months after... pretty sweet:

View attachment 19785

Where did you find this?

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I am doing this right now. I am one and a half months in. Getting a little freaked out how the middle of my head has thinned out these past two weeks though. I never thought only 1 pill a week could induce a significant shed. I am wrong about that. Hoping for the best. Guess it means it's working. I get nervous though because 99% of posts it seems about duasteride are about how they shed and it never came back.

I am trying the same. It's been 9 weeks since I added dutasteride (0.5 mg every 4 days) to my finasteride regime. But my blood levels after 3 weeks showed that two pills a week were still too little. Currently I take 1 mg every 3 days (=0.33 mg/day).

paulsteel0

Reaction score
I am trying the same. It's been 9 weeks since I added dutasteride (0.5 mg every 4 days) to my finasteride regime. But my blood levels after 3 weeks showed that two pills a week were still too little. Currently I take 1 mg every 3 days (=0.33 mg/day).
What do you mean too little? Did you have a shed? The fact I'm having a shed makes me think I have enough in my blood.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you mean too little? Did you have a shed? The fact I'm having a shed makes me think I have enough in my blood.

I added finasteride to my minoxidil regime in late June 2012. I wanted to regrow hair in my temples. But after nearly 10 months, my experience with this drug is disgusting. I started in a stable state, after 15,5 years on minoxidil, but now my hair is worse than at the beginning. Well, I was experiencing an amazing regrowth after mere 6 weeks, but it quickly stopped and after 4 months, everything turned by 180 degrees and I started to lose hair in my temples.

Now I realize that the summer regrowth was due to the beneficial effect of SARMs that I was taking during July/August. Finasteride (by itself) does absolutely nothing for me. And it would be grotesque, if it eventually turned out that it has actually exacerbated my hair loss... But it doesn't make sense, because even after quitting SARMs, finasteride was just keeping my DHT levels below baseline...

To be frank, I appear to be a non-responder to 5-AR blockers. I had DHT 25-32 ng/dl during the winter months, more than half a year on finasteride. This is low from the standards of adult men (30-85 ng/dl), but quite high for a finasteride user, who should have ca. 15 ng/dl on average. But considering my past, with many hyperandrogenic diseases, I think that my DHT must be significantly below baseline (I don't know my initial levels, unfortunately.). This is why I added dutasteride (on 8th February). But even after 3 weeks on dutasteride, my DHT was only 26 ng/dl (!) I was absolutely desperate from it. One week ago, I had another blood test and I should get the results within 2 weeks. Currently I take 1 mg of dutasteride every 3 days + finasteride (1.25 mg/day), together with minoxidil. If I don't get under 15 ng/dl, then I am probably a mutant.

As for my hair, I really don't know, what to say. The last 6 months have been an ordeal for me. I don't know, where my hair is heading. The shedding in my temples started in late October, but only in late December it began to be harsh and my left temple was hit by it very brutally. I was continually shedding hair for ca. 2,5 months. Now my left temple is "borderline transparent" to the depth of ca. 1-1.5 cm. During March, it slowed down somewhat. Curiously, some parts of my left temple started to grow back during the last weeks (I am not delusional; the hairs were not there), but on other places, only few mms next to it, I observed new loses. Now, what is happening with my hair, when I am losing and regrowing it at the same time? It's perplexing.

In any case, I will be adding dutasteride, until I experience the same regrowth like in summer last year. At least, I know that such a regrowth is possible in me. So far, the only visible effect was an outburst of acne on my back. I don't know, what to think about it, because my testosterone is rather low, so I practically exclude a hyperandrogenic reaction.

Reactions: KSA

robertc

Reaction score
To be frank, I appear to be a non-responder to 5-AR blockers. I had DHT 25-32 ng/dl during the winter months, more than half a year on finasteride. This is low from the standards of adult men (30-85 ng/dl), but quite high for a finasteride user, who should have ca. 15 ng/dl on average.

Maybe these differences affect peoples' response to meds.

Reaction score
Dutasteride can inhibit to different allels of 5 alpha reductase enzyme than finasteride..And this fact works very well for some people..

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on the same regimen for the past month and a half

1mg finasteride ED
0.5mg dutasteride EOD

I've been on 1mg finasteride alone for the past year with very little progress. Hoping that adding dutasteride will do the magic

I've also started 20 min iGrow EOD for the past month and a half

No shed, no sides so far

OSWALD

Reaction score
For me, finasteride is better than dutasteride. I used two of them. Finasteride works for me with little side effects and great results.

I used dutasteride 2,5 years with zero results and sexual side effects like very low semen volume.

For some people like me, finasteride is the best treatment for hair loss.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I added finasteride to my minoxidil regime in late June 2012. I wanted to regrow hair in my temples. But after nearly 10 months, my experience with this drug is disgusting. I started in a stable state, after 15,5 years on minoxidil, but now my hair is worse than at the beginning. Well, I was experiencing an amazing regrowth after mere 6 weeks, but it quickly stopped and after 4 months, everything turned by 180 degrees and I started to lose hair in my temples.

Now I realize that the summer regrowth was due to the beneficial effect of SARMs that I was taking during July/August. Finasteride (by itself) does absolutely nothing for me. And it would be grotesque, if it eventually turned out that it has actually exacerbated my hair loss... But it doesn't make sense, because even after quitting SARMs, finasteride was just keeping my DHT levels below baseline...

To be frank, I appear to be a non-responder to 5-AR blockers. I had DHT 25-32 ng/dl during the winter months, more than half a year on finasteride. This is low from the standards of adult men (30-85 ng/dl), but quite high for a finasteride user, who should have ca. 15 ng/dl on average. But considering my past, with many hyperandrogenic diseases, I think that my DHT must be significantly below baseline (I don't know my initial levels, unfortunately.). This is why I added dutasteride (on 8th February). But even after 3 weeks on dutasteride, my DHT was only 26 ng/dl (!) I was absolutely desperate from it. One week ago, I had another blood test and I should get the results within 2 weeks. Currently I take 1 mg of dutasteride every 3 days + finasteride (1.25 mg/day), together with minoxidil. If I don't get under 15 ng/dl, then I am probably a mutant.

As for my hair, I really don't know, what to say. The last 6 months have been an ordeal for me. I don't know, where my hair is heading. The shedding in my temples started in late October, but only in late December it began to be harsh and my left temple was hit by it very brutally. I was continually shedding hair for ca. 2,5 months. Now my left temple is "borderline transparent" to the depth of ca. 1-1.5 cm. During March, it slowed down somewhat. Curiously, some parts of my left temple started to grow back during the last weeks (I am not delusional; the hairs were not there), but on other places, only few mms next to it, I observed new loses. Now, what is happening with my hair, when I am losing and regrowing it at the same time? It's perplexing.

In any case, I will be adding dutasteride, until I experience the same regrowth like in summer last year. At least, I know that such a regrowth is possible in me. So far, the only visible effect was an outburst of acne on my back. I don't know, what to think about it, because my testosterone is rather low, so I practically exclude a hyperandrogenic reaction.

Hey! How did this work out for you? I’ve been on finasteride 5mg for 20 months (albeit my story is complex as I was on stronger anti androgens for years as I was misdiagnosed with hyperandrogenicity too) and while occasionally sometimes I imagine I have sides on finasteride, my blood DHT is near undetectable at 6-7ng/dl, but then jumped to 10ng/dl in May and went back down. When I started pre meds in 2012 - I was at 120 ng/dl. I hear serum DHT is not as strong an indicator of response as scalp tissue DHT which cannot be measured. Idk. My doctors don’t want me to try dutas because they claim it will have no impact for me but I’m honestly fed up of them blowing smoke up my *** because, I’m certain I am only getting worse.

Last edited:

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ive been on finasteride for 8 months and avodart for 6 months. After the first 2 months this regime worked very well shedding had almost completetly stopped and inflammation/tingling went away.

I wanted to just take avodart as from common knowledge its stronger than finasteride so logically no point taken both at the same time so 4 days ago I quit fina cold turkey.
Conseqently, the bad sides came back, oily scalp, inflammation and tingling, and also been shedding dht must of crept back. My libido also shot down when before i was on fina i had a sky high libido(assume it was supressing the dht and convertinf it into T).

Its not something I logically thought is possible from our understanding of both drugs but clearly my body found taking both together 2× more potent or perhaphs it was just the generic finasteride which my body found more potent in blockading the dht.

I dont want to jump back on finasteride as it made me increadibly horny and i barely felt any oil serum in my scalp which made it very dry which cant be good for hair growth