Finasteride and gynecomastia

Lito2

Reaction score
Prior to me going into detail, I want to say that I am posting here for those who have similar issues. I looked everywhere during my struggle for answers, and I found very little information or help. With that being said, here it goes.

I am 27 years old and only noticed my hairloss last August - at least consciously. I noticed signs prior to this, but denied them or ignored them. When I realized that I was potentially "balding" I scheduled several doctor appointments in hopes that it would be diagnosed as something else - Telogen Effluvium, fungus, allergic reaction, etc. In fact, from my experience as a mental health therapist and from reading thousands of posts on here, I can tell you that "denial" is real. Dermatologist after dermatologist diagnosed male pattern baldness.
Finally it dawned on me - I'm effing balding. After the Initial shock of it all I finally decided to do something about it. I researched for hours, weeks, and months. I read about treatments, future drugs, the best hair transplant doctors - as I'm sure many of you reading this have or will do. I spent every waking moment trying to find a cure.
Through this process I became familiar with the famous "finasteride" and its associated side effects. I wanted to avoid it all costs, but from my research I knew it was my only choice. I was well aware of the minuscule chance that finasteride could destroy my body. I was vulnerable. I was desperate. I was willing to risk everything for a chance at keeping my hair. So, I contacted the best endocrinologist in my state, and the best hair surgeon within a 500 mile radius of me. I had my pre hormone levels tested. They both reassured me, and encouraged me. I was cleared for use and got my prescription filled the same day. I tapered onto the medication very slowly - starting at .25 EOD for two weeks, then .5 EOD for two weeks. A week into .5mg EOD (3weeks into finasteride) I started to get breast tenderness. I tried to ignore it and push through. But, the pain and discomfort continued to increase. Within two weeks (5 weeks on finasteride) I noticed I had started to develop gynecomastia.
I then stopped the medication. I stopped because of the pain in my breasts. At this point I felt defeated. I fell back into depression - feeling hopeless and staring at my hairline every chance I got. I began to obsess again. I told myself I had to find a way. I met with my endocrinologist again. He reassured me. He told me that he had hundreds of patients on finasteride, and not a single one had had this side-effect - in fact he didn't even really think it was a legitimate side effect for people to be concerned with. By this time my swollen and inflamed glandular tissue had died down and almost returned to normal. So, it appeared as if i was crazy or experiencing a placebo. I even convinced myself I was falling into the placebo effect - after all I am a therapist.
After this visit I tried it again, but this time after 3 days my breasts began to hurt tremendously. I told myself "boobs are better than bald", and I pushed through the itchy painful feeling in my boobs everyday for two weeks until my next endo visit. When my endocrinologist examined me this time he got to see my concern first hand. He acknowledged my inflamed breast tissue, and in fact seemed very intrigued. From this point on he was willing to help me in anyway he felt possible. I told him I really wanted to take this medicine, and I was willing to try anything within medical reason.
The first thing he did was test my hormone levels again. Everything fell into range - my estrogen levels were even lower norm. But, he explained that in a minority of instances even a very small and subtle increase in estrogen can have this effect. This is due to the sensitivity of the receptors in the breast tissue - stating I must have very sensitive receptors. He prescribed me tamoxifen for three months, which is a medication that blocks estrogen from binding to the receptors. Well, let's just say that after two more months of pain and very little progress I gave up the tamoxifen.
Again, I fell into depression. I couldn't take it any more. I was about to quit finasteride once and for all. But, my endo had one last thing he wanted to try. He prescribed me letrozole at a low dose for three months. Letrozole prevents production of estrogen. Within 3 days my breast felt phenomenal. No more Itchy pain in my nipples. After one week on letrozole I decided to go for broke and I started to take 1.25mg of proscar daily on January 15th of this year - near triple what I did before. I had no issues. It was working. For the moment I was happy.
Over the next three months I Noticed a decrease in hair shedding. I also slowly tapered off letrozole as well, and thus far haven't experienced any recurrence of pain. But, the glandular tissue that grew didn't shrink back to normal size. I am now left with slightly puffy nipples, but it's not really noticeable to anyone but myself. So, I accept it. I continue to take 1.25mg of finasteride daily without any more side effects. Currently, I am in the stage where I don't know if finasteride is working for me or if I just continue to get worse. I have posted several before and after pics for you all to see, so be the judge for yourself. I will be on here for the next week answering any questions you guys may have. The struggle is real, and I'm glad I have you guys to relate to and share this with. Good luck all!

Picture #1,3,5,6 were in April 17 2016
Picture #2,4were In October of 2015
Sorry for the weird order

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,709
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 12,002
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 3,765
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 5,537
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 2,766
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    551.3 KB · Views: 8,737

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Letrozole (AI) won't get rid of gyno, it will only prevent it from worsening.
SERMs (Tamoxifene), ideally along with an AI can shrink the glandular tissue. Doesn't work for everyone and usually depends how long you've had gyno. Of course, both SERMS and AIs are bad for hair, and come with their own sides, so you may be better of getting surgery if it bothers you.

So you now no longer have breast pain are just taking finasteride with no Letro?

Lito2

Reaction score
SERMs (Tamoxifene), ideally along with an AI can shrink the glandular tissue. Doesn't work for everyone and usually depends how long you've had gyno. Of course, both SERMS and AIs are bad for hair, and come with their own sides, so you may be better of getting surgery if it bothers you.

So you now no longer have breast pain are just taking finasteride with no Letro?

In fact, letrozole has been shown in limited studies to also reduce the size of gyno as well as reduce pain. Tamoxifen is more commonly prescribed for this due to it being relatively safer with less side effects. I tried tamoxifen for two months with zero improvement. Within 3 days I was pain free with letro. I am also under the care of dr Blau, one of the leading gyno surgeons. :) yes, currently I only take finasteride 1.25 daily and have no recurrence of pain. If by chance the pain does return, I have the option to just have it surgically removed by dr Blau, which will more than likely take care of the issue long term - small chance of recurrence. I took both tamoxifen and letro, and feel that my hair improved over time - granted I was taking finasteride also. please view my pics above. Obviously it didn't help my hair, but I don't feel that it hurt it either.

g.i joey

Reaction score
im a testimony to letrozole shrinking and neutralizing the growth of my gyno. Ive also been able to take it without it effecting my nipples ever since i ran that course of letro. I did run into some other side effects though (sex drive) but im taking .5-1mg 3-4 times a week right now and im doing fine so fingers crossed. I also realized that being over weight and being on finasteride is NOT a good combo, ever since i dropped 20 pounds ive been able to tolerate finasteride alot easier.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
im a testimony to letrozole shrinking and neutralizing the growth of my gyno. Ive also been able to take it without it effecting my nipples ever since i ran that course of letro. I did run into some other side effects though (sex drive) but im taking .5-1mg 3-4 times a week right now and im doing fine so fingers crossed. I also realized that being over weight and being on finasteride is NOT a good combo, ever since i dropped 20 pounds ive been able to tolerate finasteride alot easier.

How long did you run Letro for? Didn't it rape your hair?

Lito2

Reaction score

Ahh, just the man I wanted to see my post! G.i. Joey, I want to thank you for your posts and determination. If it weren't for your recent disputes with Other members who claims nothing can help, I would have never pursued letro as an option. I couldn't find any other information on this, and everyone else told me to just quit finasteride because I was doomed with gyno for ever. Not the case at all. Do you guys think my hair looks better in comparison to last October? I do, but again I guess I could be biased. I didn't think letro messed with my hair at all. Crazy thing is, for the three months o was taking letro my testosterone levels were between 1,300-1,600 consistently, and my baseline was 700. My estrogen never dropped below normal range. I experienced acne, tons of energy, increased weight by 13lbs, but my sex drive was shot! I could obtain elections, but I had zero desire to have sex with my girlfriend. Initially I thought it was finasteride causing this, but after weaning off letro I went back to my normal libido - erections nearly every morning etc. After overcoming the sides, now I'm just stuck trying to figure out if all my sacrifice and efforts was worth it! Just wish I knew of it was working.

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everytime I think I want to take the plunge with finasteride, a post like this deters me :/

g.i joey

Reaction score
How long did you run Letro for? Didn't it rape your hair?

About a month in total, although i have to say it didnt make my gyno dissapear, it definately shrunk like 80% of it, but 2 tiny pea sized glands remain. Doesnt really cause me a problem aesthetically so i dont really care.

I definately noticed increased shedding while on it but it wasnt anything too intense, but i was also dosing .25mg/day of finasteride so who knows if that was doing anything.

g.i joey

Reaction score
letro could shrink early onset of gyno, SERM's are used to prevent gyno. Surgery is needed in MOST cases of gyno, but when you're talking super recent, you can get it under control with meds.

Lito2

Reaction score
Everytime I think I want to take the plunge with finasteride, a post like this deters me :/

Don't let my experience deter you. I was well informed and educated on the potential risks and rewards of the medication before pursuing it. I fall in the one percent. It was a risk I was willing to take after I weighed the potential pros and cons, and I'd do it all over again - making all the same choices. Think of it like this...many people die everyday driving their cars. This number is minimal compared to the actual amount of people that drive everyday. Just because I here a story about an unlucky guy who wrecked and died doesn't mean I should avoid driving my car out of fear of wrecking too. I currently experience no side effects what so ever. Despite what Fred may believe, it is possible for thrse two medications to greatly reduce the size of recent onset gyno. I am testimate to this as well as gi Joey. I read all of Fred's posts months before pursuing letro and tamoxifen, but I put my trust in my endocrinologist who has the education and experience to be advising me, and I am glad I did. He was right in my case and treatment was extremely effective. We are not experts. We are not doctors. We are all only sharing our own personal experiences. But, despite what anyone says, our negative side effects are the minority and are not likely to happen to you. You will never know what your experience with it will be until you try it. You must weigh the pros and cons yourself and judge whether or not it's worth the risk for you. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

And suffer the (sometimes horrible) sides effects, which of course include hair loss. Yeah totally a smart move for someone on this forum. Surgery is safer and easier, always.

Yes Fred, sometimes people suffer side effects from all medications. I have a severe allergy to aspirin, and if I take it I could potentially die. But, you don't see me over here advising people not to take it. As this is my experience, and I know I'm the minority with this issue. I am also allergic to lactose, but again I don't get on forums and tell others to stay away from dairy products as it could cause them to get sick, because this is only my experience. As far as hair getting worse on tamoxifen, I didn't experience this at all, and don't really see a serious correlation between taking tamoxifen and hair loss. Maybe with letrozole yes, as it has the potential to greatly diminish ones estrogen in the boddy - which we all know is important for hair growth. But again, this is why I was under the care of several medical experts including my primary care physician, my hair surgeon, and my gyno surgeon dr Blau (who is seen as one of pioneers of gyno surgery). So, forgive me for putting my faith in these highly qualified experts m, and not trusting some poor sap on the forum who is bitter about his experience.

UserVali

Reaction score

I am in the exact same boat as you. For some reason, everytime I fell extremely confident about taking finasteride I immediately want to search some more about it and there it goes: another thread which puts me off. It has become rather funny though, I must admit. Sadly, I quickly remember that I am 19 and I start to shed a tear

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know a ton about gyno, but I would just get surgery if it is bothering you. I have a buddy who took prohormones (similar to steroids) at 16 and developed gyno. Most people barely noticed it, but he was super insecure about it so went into a plastic surgeon and snip snip, all good. If you have the money, surgery would definitely be the best option if it is bothering you. Not sure if that type of procedure would be covered by most insurance companies though as it is considered mainly cosmetic.

- - - Updated - - -

I am in the exact same boat as you. For some reason, everytime I fell extremely confident about taking finasteride I immediately want to search some more about it and there it goes: another thread which puts me off. It has become rather funny though, I must admit. Sadly, I quickly remember that I am 19 and I start to shed a tear

I am pretty sure these side effects are much more uncommon than these forums make it seem. I have been on finasteride 2 years, started at 20 and have had no side effects. It hasn't really slowed my hair loss much though, which you hear of even less. If you get a side effect your best bet is to just quit if you are super worried about the sides.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score

This. Be careful when messing with SERMs, even Raloxifene caused me to go through a long period of Telogen Effluvium of which I seem to be finally recovering from after nearly six months. Fingers crossed that I keep making progress, but after a finasteride shed, combined with thin temples, Telogen Effluvium had me near suicidal. Not something to play around with IMHO.