Finasteride and Dutasteride used daily together?

CrackedFox

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. Long time user of finasteride for nearly 20 years. Very gradual receding of hair at the temples over those years. Probably a N2 and now at 48 I have started shedding over the past few weeks: probably around 30-40 hairs a day from the front of my head (although it does coincide with warmer weather).
I started on dutasteride about 5 years ago - once a week. 9 months ago I upped that to twice a week.

Currently I am:
finasteride 1mg per day
dutasteride (Avodart) 0.5mg 2x per week

So the dilemma I have is:

1. Switch to dutasteride completely and use daily, thus stopping finasteride which I have been using for 20 years
2. Up finasteride to 1.5mg per day (maybe 0.5mg at night); dutasteride 0.5mg
3. Alternate between 1mg finasteride and 0.5mg dutasteride each day (Mon dutasteride, Tues finasteride, Wed dutasteride etc).
4. Use both daily (has anyone experience of this - is this safe?)
5. Any other suggestions? I am reading that RU is good, but haven't tried this. Minoxidil has been used just on my temples for about 6 months and apart from some peach fuzz and a few wire-like hairs has done nothing.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
20 yrs ago you started Finasteride and today you are a Norwood 2. That’s great success in and of itself.

Why did you start Dutasteride 5 yrs ago if Finasteride was working?

If you’re increasing doses increase dutasteride to every other day 0.5mg

RU would be a good addition to your regimen considering you’d be tackling your hair loss from another angle, topical anti-androgen

Last edited:

CrackedFox

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I started dutasteride 5 years ago due to some shedding at the time. Although of course it could just have been seasonal/temporary.
Just started back up on Minoxidil and maybe I should give it longer this time.
The RU option looks interesting in place of minoxidil but need to do more reading around the topic.
Not seen too many posts on people using finasteride and dutasteride daily together, which maybe indicates it isn’t a good idea!

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Many have experienced significant sheds when dropping finasteride for dutasteride. Unless you have sides from finasteride you’re better off either just staying on it or making a very slow and gradual transition. I personally take both for the reason mentioned as that was my experience as well. minoxidil+RU+ finasteride/dutasteride is a pretty strong combo. If you werent 48 I wouldn’t advise it. Always best to keep some treatments in your arsenal for when your body builds tolerance to the treatments you do use, you’ll have your arsenal to turn to like what you’re doing at the moment

CrackedFox

My Regimen
Reaction score
Super. Thanks again. I guess you are also dutasteride EOD too?
I was thinking I will steadily increase dutasteride to EOD to see how that works and then maybe ease off the finasteride. But yes I am mindful that finasteride could still be working and the shedding could be something else.
Will look into RU this weekend.

jazz1

Reaction score
Out of curiosity did you switch Finasteride brands when you was shedding?

CrackedFox

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same brand I have been using for years. Stopped shedding last week to only a few hairs from the front. Then today back to massive sheds with hairs coming out each comb.

CrackedFox

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would but my concern is that because I have been on finasteride for 20 years, then I could suffer a faster permanent shed.
I have read mixed reports of people switching, working ok for 6 months and then thinning rapidly.
Did you switch completely from finasteride to dutasteride?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would but my concern is that because I have been on finasteride for 20 years, then I could suffer a faster permanent shed.
I have read mixed reports of people switching, working ok for 6 months and then thinning rapidly.

I think i took finasteride a little bit until it ran out but its not really necessary, doesn't take long for dutasteride to suppress serum levels the same as finasteride. You can megadose dutasteride early on to suppress levels quickly ie 2.5mg a day, but i don't really think it is necessary. Just switch to 0.5mg dutasteride a day, you will be fine.

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been 2 days since I made switch from finasteride to dutasteride after being on finasteride for almost a year and I can see that I am shedding more hair already. My skin also feels less oily, which is good. Switching from finasteride to dutasteride will most likely cause shedding.

jazz1

Reaction score
Same brand I have been using for years. Stopped shedding last week to only a few hairs from the front. Then today back to massive sheds with hairs coming out each comb.
You lacking any vitamins or minerals/amino acids?

User707

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm the same as you. Been on finasteride and Min for 20 years and have kept all my hair. The last 2 months the front has got a little thin. Was thinking of incorporating DUA twice a week. Did you get good results? Any help would be appreciated.