finasteride And dutasteride Combo? Any Advice Please

Jude79

Reaction score
Chaps any recommendations regarding this combo? I've been on finasteride for years and want to add dutasteride but don't want to go full blown dutasteride (1 a day @.5) because of the side effects. Anyone had good results with this. Any advice gratefully received.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am currently doing this. It's been 4 months. Nothing noticeable yet, slight thinning in front but I'm not sure if I can blame that on Dutasteride, minoxidil, or if this would happened anyways on finasteride. I started topical spironolactone last week too, so now I really don't know what to thank or hate.

All I can advise is to try it out for 6 months, then reevaluate.
Take photos!

Jude79

Reaction score
Cheers for that, any idea how many times to take dutasteride per week? Obviously everyday is the optimal amount I'm just a bit apprehensive so If I can get away with once/twice a week or even Monday, Wednesday, Friday and substitute finasteride on those days off? Reckon anyone has success with this approach?

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The only reason I am using both finasteride and dutasteride is because I get a head change with Dutasteride. Otherwise I'd be taking every day. I can tolerate it once a week. If you don't experience sides. I'd work your way up. Once a week- finasteride on off days, twice a week-finasteride on off days, etc. eventually I'd say 3 times a week you'll be good. At that point I don't think the finasteride is necessary, especially if you aren't experiencing sides.

Jude79

Reaction score
Thanks for that. That was plan... the softly softly approach. Has anyone had success using this method the half finasteride half dutasteride method?

Jude79

Reaction score
Anyone at all? It's my last throw of the dice....... I've been on finasteride/min/keto for 8 years and started thinning out in the last year (itch has been huge too).I was really hoping the addition of dutasteride might do something? I've started rolling once a week, emu oil every night and castor oil orally once a day. Love to hear from other dutasteride finasteride users and how they are going. Thanks

Jude79

Reaction score
Thanks a million for that comprehensive answer! Think I'll go with the 3 times a week and see how I go and reassess in a years time.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Taking both of these drugs together will not yield you no additional benefits, your DHT reduction is going to reflect upon whatever drug/dosage is strongest. Think of Dutasteride as a full cup of water representing effectiveness, and Finasteride as a half cup of water. Pouring the Finasteride into the cup of Dutasteride isn't going to make a cup and a half of water, it's going to spill over and now you have just wasted a half cup of Finasteride. Good going!

Why in your analogy is there a limit to the cup of water? Wouldn't Finasteride and Dutasteride have a DHT reduction that they both bring? Why couldn't you stack them if they do the same thing? With dutasteride giving even more reduction in DHT.

Jude79

Reaction score
Sorry...... I'm not the sharpest tool but is that in terms of taking them together on the same day or is it also a "waste" if you alternate between the two -dutasteride Monday, Wednesday, Friday and finasteride alone on the other days? Thanks a million for your help!

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently on the dutasteride 3 days a week. I took dutasteride daily for 1 year and thinned much more. So 17 days ago I added 1mg finasteride on Tuesday, Thursday and the weekend and cut back dutasteride to mwf. Nothing to report yet. Possibly more shedding the last couple days.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
I use to take dutasteride 3/4x a week and finasteride everyday. Now I do dutasteride and finasteride ED. No sides - it's been roughly 2 months.

For me, finasteride is so cheap (I use a generic brand that it's no issue using that also). I believe that finasteride and dutasteride also work differently, so I want the best suppression of DHT. I had a hair transplant 7 months ago and want to keep the results!

Jude79

Reaction score
Just a little update. So it's roughly 5 months on Dutasteride 4 times a week and finasteride the other days. I've had definite frontal loss and a mild shed. All in all definitely below base line. That said the upside is the itch is completely gone. At this point I think I'm all in and I am going to try and ride out this shed/frontal loss and see what happens. Anyone else recover or comeback stronger? The strange thing is the hair that's there seems to be in much better condition/fuller.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just a little update. So it's roughly 5 months on Dutasteride 4 times a week and finasteride the other days. I've had definite frontal loss and a mild shed. All in all definitely below base line. That said the upside is the itch is completely gone. At this point I think I'm all in and I am going to try and ride out this shed/frontal loss and see what happens. Anyone else recover or comeback stronger? The strange thing is the hair that's there seems to be in much better condition/fuller.

I went all in on dutasteride for an additional 5 months and the frontal shedding just got worse . Went back to finasteride, and it's slowly coming back. If you're already getting that shed in the front, I would stop. IT IS NOT A NORMAL SHED

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I went all in on dutasteride for an additional 5 months and the frontal shedding just got worse . Went back to finasteride, and it's slowly coming back. If you're already getting that shed in the front, I would stop. IT IS NOT A NORMAL SHED
How do you know this?