finasteride And dutasteride And Hairline And Anxiety

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
I just want to give a little background and get some opinions. I have been on Rogaine foam for almost 8 years. I just turned 30 and have played around with finasteride and dutasteride off and on over the years.

I started taking 1 pill daily of Dutasteride on January 25th 2017. I gave it the one full year that everyone recommends and I didn't see any improvement. I did see my hairline recede at a quicker rate than usual. I had a pretty even hairline before I started. On January 26th 2018 I decided to switch up my regimen. I started taking finasteride Sun, Tues, Thurs and Sat and taking dutasteride MWF. Since then my hair has became even worse. I know I am only 7.5 months in on finasteride, but I have now been on dutasteride for over a year and a half.

Should I continue my current regimen? Or should I reduce my dutasteride to MF then finasteride the other days. I am unsure if the dutasteride is helping or making things worse. Plus the long term effects of dutasteride scare me a little. Thoughts? Also I have been anxious more than usual the last year. Could it be related?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Could be related. I would just use finasteride and never touch dutasteride. Dutasteride was never approved for male pattern baldness in the US was it? I think there are some more health risks with dutasteride like glucose metabolism, and things like that which finasteride might not change.
Not worth the risk for hair IMO. We think hair is important, and it is but there are bigger problems you dont want to risk just to keep some cosmetic hair.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride was approved in some Asian countries, i don't think asian scientists are less competent than western ones. If even 95+% dht inhibition isn't slowing down your hair loss, i would look in to other factors, or take dutasteride everyday.

iamgotham

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also I have been anxious more than usual the last year

I always think twice about linking this kind of symptoms with the medications.

Hair loss can increase our anxiety just by itself... We're waiting to see results, we get scared when we don't see them, etc...

I'm about to give Dutasteride a shot (combined with Finasteride), hope it works!

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it wise not to ignore symptoms since its easy to say it's all in your head but we are all different and our bodies all work very differently too.

Anxiety can be self created but if you do research it has been said you could experience depression or anxiety as a side effect of finasteride or duta.

Even when I bought dutasteride they said they couldnt let me buy it unless i let my doctor know I was taking it before hand because of possible mental effects that could accure. Although that's not to say that's what you have but still worth keeping an eye.

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
I always think twice about linking this kind of symptoms with the medications.

Hair loss can increase our anxiety just by itself... We're waiting to see results, we get scared when we don't see them, etc...

I'm about to give Dutasteride a shot (combined with Finasteride), hope it works!

I agree. It could be lots of things casing it. There really isn't a way to figure out what it could be. I was just thinking if I took out one dutasteride a week that it may help. Like M/F dutasteride and the rest of the days finasteride.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should probably have a thorough medical evaluation. Maybe your hair loss has a different (or an additional) cause. This way you would avoid not needed treatments or add needed ones.