Finasteride and Depression - any advice?

true_poet25

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have taken finasteride off and on now for about 16 years, starting when I was 26. I have probably gone through 5 different periods of using it, the first 4 periods using the oral pill and the most recent time I tried topical finasteride.

Finasteride has proved simply amazing for me in stopping hair loss and encouraging hair re-growth, especially the first period when I used it for maybe 2 years. However the side effect of depression for me was and continues to be very real every time I take this drug.

I thankfully practically never suffer from depression or low moods normally but every single time I have gone on finasteride, I have ended up in feeling mildly to moderately depressed on many days. This was especially confusing when I was first taking the drug back in 2008/2009 as depression was not listed as a side effect then and I had no idea it could be finasteride causing this.

It was only after 2 years of using it (roughly 2010) - during that first period - that I began to read theories developing that finasteride could cause depression. I decided to see what happened if I stopped taking the drug, and within a week, my 2 year long depression had lifted.

I have tried it again and again in the hopes I may have a different result, because it is very effective for me for my male pattern baldness, but every single time it ends up the same. The depression always comes like clockwork, and like clockwork, it always lifts within a week once I stop taking it. I hoped topical finasteride might be different but my more recent attempt with that ended the same.

I am going to try one more time, this time microdosing the oral pills. I have not felt any depression or low moods anytime in the recent past. I suspect it will come back once I start taking the oral pills but I want to try one more time with microdosing this time, before I give up and go for a hair transplant. I never experienced anything resembling severe or suicidal depression but even mild to moderate depression is not a price worth paying for avoiding baldness.

If anyone has any tips or ideas I can try to avoid the side effect of depression, please let me know.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
U need to get laid more often thats my suggestion to offset the depression. I myself dont use finasteride due to sexual sides.

jensyy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it gets really bad, better consult a doctor. Depression is not a joke. When the things get really tight in my life I do everything to have less stress , even found guys who can write my essay https://academized.com/write-my-essay . This saves me a lot of time to do things I like, sports and long walks in the forest for example. There are couple of other things of course , but those are my main hobbies.

Last edited:

Modill

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will give you the best advise: stop taking finasteride, don’t take this sh*t before it destroy you.
There are no solutions for hairloss yet in the market.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will give you the best advise: stop taking finasteride, don’t take this sh*t before it destroy you.
There are no solutions for hairloss yet in the market.
Truth. I wish I never tried finasteride after dutasteride. It permanently fucked me. Now I just use 100-150mg of RU58841 daily with oral minoxidil.

Regan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Truth. I wish I never tried finasteride after dutasteride. It permanently fucked me. Now I just use 100-150mg of RU58841 daily with oral minoxidil.

Glad to know that after experimenting with finasteride and duta, you have picked the safe and healthy choice.

Modill

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is even worst than finasteride. Finasteride kills you at 70%, and duties kills you at 95%.
RU is even worst than dutasteride, is the perfect heart attack drug

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is even worst than finasteride. Finasteride kills you at 70%, and duties kills you at 95%.
RU is even worst than dutasteride, is the perfect heart attack drug
No sides from RU whatsoever. Yes duta is worse. But I switched from dutasteride to finasteride. And side effects stayed after quitting.

Last edited:

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
What topical finasteride percentage were you using? I had sides on oral for 14 years and switched to topical 0.025% and have zero sides. I realize everyone's sensitivity can be different, but topical at this % has been a godsend of efficacy with no side effects.

KarennJames

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you talked to your doctor about your experiences? They might have some suggestions or be able to monitor your progress with microdosing. It's always important to prioritize your mental health, so don't hesitate to seek professional advice if needed. Anyway, it's interesting how many different products are out there these days. I recently found CBD lubes. Who would've thought, right? If you're curious, it might be worth a shot. You can also check out this article I found about CBD lubes: https://joyorganics.com/