Finasteride And Daily Hair Loss (during Shower)

oleg

My Regimen
Reaction score
So i've been taking finasteride for 11 months(daily, 0.6mg for the first 8-9 months, 1-1.25 now), and i'm not sure how well it's working for me.

The one thing that people who start to take finasteride keep mentioning is how they either start shedding more hairs, or how maybe after a few months they shed way less. That doesn't seem to be the case for me, i never noticed any significant increase or decrease in the amount of hair i lose in the shower, and i'm almost a year in. So, not sure what that means, any comments appreciated.
Although, before finasteride, almost with each new haircut(i don't cut it that often) i could sort of see the negative progression, but i just had a haircut a week ago, and it maybe even looked a bit thicker to me, not sure if i'm just imagining things.

Also, the other weird thing(or maybe not so much) is that many of the hairs that i shed during the shower also come out of my sides and back of my head, but i'm not loosing any density there, it's very thick.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
I still lose a sh*t load of hair daily and I get told I have BDD when I post pictures of my hair here. As long as you don't notice a decrease in how your hair looks try not to worry about it.

If anything, you might have just been losing this amount of hair even before male pattern baldness started and now you're just hyperaware of how much hair you're losing.

oleg

My Regimen
Reaction score
If anything, you might have just been losing this amount of hair even before male pattern baldness started and now you're just hyperaware of how much hair you're losing.
yea, that could be it. It's just that a lot of the times, when you find someone who is a good responder to finasteride, they usually say how their hair loss slowed down somewhere after the first 3-5 months.

Last edited:

g.i joey

Reaction score
yea, that could be it. It's just that a lot of the times, when you find someone who is a good responder to finasteride, they usually say how their hair loss slowed down somewhere after the first 3-5 months.

true, but being a good responder usually entails regrowth or cosmetic thickening, some average responders just maintain. I've read cases where it took people up to 2 years to notice that their hair is actually better or completely similar to baseline.

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still lose a sh*t load of hair daily and I get told I have BDD when I post pictures of my hair here. As long as you don't notice a decrease in how your hair looks try not to worry about it.

Curiously, by a sh*t load you mean how many hairs daily? Did you compare it against your baseline shedding?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Curiously, by a sh*t load you mean how many hairs daily? Did you compare it against your baseline shedding?

I find around 5ish hairs on my pillow in the morning (sometimes upwards to 10 on a bad day).
I don't count my hairs in the shower anymore, but I would lose anywhere from like 15 to 30 depending on the day.
When I blow dry my hair there are A LOT of hair on the floor (like 20 probably even more that I don't see).
Then throughout the day I'll find random strands of my hair.

I seem to be shedding a little less than 2 years ago; I remember the week before I started finasteride I was losing like 50 hairs in the shower I wanted to cry.

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I find around 5ish hairs on my pillow in the morning (sometimes upwards to 10 on a bad day).
I don't count my hairs in the shower anymore, but I would lose anywhere from like 15 to 30 depending on the day.
When I blow dry my hair there are A LOT of hair on the floor (like 20 probably even more that I don't see).
Then throughout the day I'll find random strands of my hair.

I seem to be shedding a little less than 2 years ago; I remember the week before I started finasteride I was losing like 50 hairs in the shower I wanted to cry.
So, this is your definition of a shitload of hair?.........

oleg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think i easily lose up to a 100 hairs each day in the shower.