finasteride and brain fog - a frequent issue?

rgbnm

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is a question to all of you who are/have been on finasteride. The sexual side effects of finasteride are well known, but I've recently read about the other thing - the brain fog. There are some complains about the mental side effects, worse perception, deteriorated memory etc. Therefore I'd like to ask you - did you experience any of these? I wonder if messing with 5AR influences indeed the cognitive performance. I've seen some opinion that the "depression" side effect, as the Merck company has put it, is a lighter notion for all those mental-related sides (although it smacks a bit of conspiracy theory). Is it really true, or just an exaggerated claim? [And if it's true, is it a frequent symptom, or a seldom one?]

Many thanks for any answers, and good luck to all of you :)

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a real potential side effect which can occur in some users. How many or how often is unknown.

finasteride inhibits neurosteroids in the brain, and these neurosteroids are implicated in memory, depression, cognitive function etc.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70581

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I, too, was concerned about brain-fog. I felt like my short-term memory was getting pretty bad.

However, I started a new job about a month ago. I have less stress, and I get paid more money to do less than what I had been doing for the last 4 years. I've noticed that my short-term memory is MUCH improved in the last month or so.

Moral of the story: It might be other things in your life that are affecting your memory :)

MisterMister

Established Member
Reaction score
I heard about this too, but finasteride can also cause insomnia as a side effect, and lack of deep sleep can cause brain fog and forgetfulness too.

BritishUser

Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for just over a year and I've been experiencing a period of 'fog' for maybe a week or two. It's like a sort of slightly drunk/hungover feeling(I very rarely drink), with lack of mental sharpness and some issues with memory and recall, to a varying degree. It's worse sometimes than others, but I've never experienced this ever before.

I've not had any such problems until now and I'm not saying it's def the finasteride, but it could be. I've used finasteride from the same supplier since the start, but my latest batch is from a different, though trusted site, due to some problems with the other. That's the only thing that has changed recently.

Again, it could be coincidence and unrelated. I've currently been off the meds for about 4 days to see how I feel. I'll give it a bit longer before resuming with a different supply; I'm also looking into supplements to raise neurosteriod activity, as my research suggests that this could be related to finasteride lowering NS activity.

Just some thoughts.

I should say also that when I took my very first pill, I did experience a period of mental fog & detachment, which cleared after several hours and did not return.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe the term “Brain fogâ€￾ is usually observed as a side effect in mainstream medicine, but I could be wrong about that. I haven’t seen any studies that directly observed this symptom as a result to taking finasteride, but also, I haven’t seen any studies that were specifically designed to monitor for mental side effects either. This neither confirms nor denies that this is a symptom of finasteride, so unfortunately we don’t currently have much to go on.

All I know that is brain fog; or more specifically, the underlying symptoms that typically are associated with this term are commonly experienced with anxiety and depression. I am not saying this will be the case in all situations, but it is a fairly well known set of symptoms that surface as a result of these mental states. Many people seem to experience anxiety when starting on finasteride treatment (fear over experiencing side effects) which may in itself bring on symptoms of brain fog. Since the symptoms started after taking finasteride, one might jump to the conclusion that finasteride directly caused it. But this is just conjecture; we don't know for certain what is happening.

Hopefully we can see some more studies on finasteride that can monitor some of the mental symptoms so that we can get a clear understanding of the cause of these types of effects.

BritishUser

Reaction score
Ok, so still experiencing issues with memory/recall, cognition and mental clarity. If it is due to the finasteride then I don't get why this did not happen sooner, since this started around 13 months in? Logically I would think it is something else, but I can't point to anything.

I will try a few supplement options to see if it helps. If not, then I will have to stop the finasteride for a few months, which I'm loathe to do as I feel my hair has improved.

Oh well.

BritishUser

Reaction score
Also, I should add that I have been on SSRI anti-depressants for 15 years, so depression shouldn't be an issue. Other than lowering my libido - a well known side of SSRIs - they have done nothing but help me.

T

Timi

i had never Brain Fog from Finasterid
but with minoxidil! when i apply it, my Heat is so dizzy
and tired by my last attempt i sleep 16 hour's
i was 4Days so ill ,I thought I must die, as i week up
after this 16Hour's-Heartracing-breathing-my Head sing and ring

Timi

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Personally, I had a lot of these sides when I tried finasteride... Couldn't sleep properly at all, had a total lack of focus and concentration and a real lack of drive too... felt like I had a permanent hangover.

If you research the science of 5AR inhibition and its effect on neurosteriods and the Central Nervous System etc... it's perfectly logical that SOME people could suffer these side effects, so watch out for them, but obviously don't get too paranoid about it either.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never had brain fog with finasteride - wouldn't know what it feels like, either - but in my first week on Propecia it did kind of overtake my thought process to the point where it was the last thing on my mind when I went to bed and the first thing on my mind when I woke up... so that could account for lack of concentration.

I hardly think about it any more, though, since the one side effect I experienced faded after the first week (weak orgasms) and everything seems normal (for now, and fingers crossed forever...)

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
For milder forms of the brain fog caffeine will help. If it's really bad caffeine + efedrea will kill the fog really good. I am using it now but mainly because my Dr wants me to lose weight fast before I get diabetes. And it is working as the weight has been dropping fast.

T

Timi

i had never Brainfog the first 12Years, But then it started
it got worse and worse my Head so confused and tired
and my Libido from one Day after the other was Zero!

Ok i stoped finasteride and take minoxidil
but minoxidil is not better my Head so dizzy and tired
Tinnitus and Heartproblems minoxidil is worser than finasteride

minoxidil and finasteride Dustpin!

i have ruined my Live with this Drugs

Timi

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
Timi said:
i had never Brainfog the first 12Years, But then it started
it got worse and worse my Head so confused and tired
and my Libido from one Day after the other was Zero!

Ok i stoped finasteride and take minoxidil
but minoxidil is not better my Head so dizzy and tired
Tinnitus and Heartproblems minoxidil is worser than finasteride

minoxidil and finasteride Dustpin!

i have ruined my Live with this Drugs

Timi

You life will not be ruined if you take action and do something about it. Don't be like those people on that other board who are all sitting around waiting to die.
I have already mentioned what will get rid of the fog. Also in a pinch, nicotine patches will work as well. Exercise - like running a mile or 2 will also knock the crap out of that fog as well and I recommend you do that anyway regardless.

For libo you may have to go to your dr ...mine put me on T . One thing you may want to try first is DHEA. But be careful as it can cause a rise in DHT. You will feel good but it can speed up male pattern baldness. Also when I started running again I started to feel bad in the morning due to allergies from being outside so much. So I started taking claritin and it sure seemed like it raised my libo even more.

Anyway you do need to take action but it is worth it to feel normal again!

T

Timi

i hope the side effects go away

i was a Idiot for the Hair ruined my Body

Timi

BritishUser

Reaction score
Update....

Well, I'm feeling a lot better now, so not sure if it was related or just a transient side? I bought some pregnenolone after a bit of research and reading this page below....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qcmfAw&usg=AFQjCNGEZUFvCYY9DRFh_3na1_y9Mrd9VQ

Not sure if I will use it yet, as I'm worried it will increase DHT levels. Presumably the action of finasteride would counter this increase anyway?

Mens Rea

Reaction score
BritishUser said:
Update....

Well, I'm feeling a lot better now, so not sure if it was related or just a transient side? I bought some pregnenolone after a bit of research and reading this page below....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qcmfAw&usg=AFQjCNGEZUFvCYY9DRFh_3na1_y9Mrd9VQ

Not sure if I will use it yet, as I'm worried it will increase DHT levels. Presumably the action of finasteride would counter this increase anyway?

Preg wouldn't increase your dht levels. Certainly not by any tangible amounts.

Try it, it's good stuff.

Although you should try magnesium first and foremost. Very good stuff for brain function.

T

Timi

what helps without finasteride-minoxidil by Hairloss?

minoxidil is not better than finasteride make more Brain Fog as finasteride!

Timi

BritishUser

Reaction score
Mens Rea said:

Try it, it's good stuff.

Although you should try magnesium first and foremost. Very good stuff for brain function.

Well, from what I've read hairloss can be a side effect of taking preg, possibly due to it increasing DHEA which may convert downline to DHT?

I suppose the question is - If you're taking finasteride to inhibit DHT, would that matter?

Mens Rea

Reaction score
BritishUser said:
Mens Rea said:

Try it, it's good stuff.

Well, from what I've read hairloss can be a side effect of taking preg, possibly due to it increasing DHEA which may convert downline to DHT?

I suppose the question is - If you're taking finasteride to inhibit DHT, would that matter?

Preg isn't going to make that much of a difference, the amount that actually is absorbed isn't likely to make a difference to DHT levels. In any event, pregnenolone also converts to progesterone which works against DHT. So, even without finasteride i don't believe preg would cause hair loss.