Finasteride and body hair | HairLossTalk Forums

Finasteride and body hair

Discussion in 'Antiandrogens - Propecia, Dutasteride, etc.' started by Belmondo, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Belmondo

Belmondo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Does finasteride have any effect on body hair? Do you know any studies on this?

I'm a Proscar veteran and I've been taking it everyday for the last 14 years. Ever since I started taking finasteride, it seems the the growth of new body hair has stopped - which is great, I hate body hair and I don't want to look like an ape. I have hair in my legs and genitals, but the back and chest are smooth, which is not very common for a 33 y.o. hispanic man.

Is there a cause and effect relationship here?

2. wannakeepitall

Dislikes Received:
    Very likely. It also explains why some balding men can still have very thick body hair. While DHT seems to kill scalp hair, it seems to strengthen body hair. That's why it would be great if body hair could be transplanted to scalp without any issues.

3. Cassin

Cassin Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    14 years? How has your hair held up? Do you have it in a post anywhere?

Also I am on 6 + years of finasteride and my body hair has GREATLY reduced. Pretty amazing.

4. Belmondo

Belmondo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your replies, guys.

My hair is doing fine and I'm really proud of it.

There has been some recession but I'm still a solid NW2 and the crown is perfect.

5. Nene

Nene Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You guys grew less body hair on finasteride??? I'm never getting off of it now!

6. hairrific

hairrific Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    What, you did not know finasteride has an "inverse reaction" on body hair. It helps you keep your scalp hair thicker, YET makes body hair more scarce and thinner in time. I personally believe it might prevent body hair in certain areas completely if one has no hair in these areas due to young age or depending on what stage of development one is at. This is mostly in timing with what age you are when you jump on finasteride. But I have seen no studies. In the mean time the body builders who think they need all that DHT will just have to keep shaving vigorously, ha!

7. backintime

backintime Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using hair-removal creme (i.e., Veet) on my chest for about 12 years. Before I started finasteride, I would have to do this at least once a month to keep chest hair growth under control. In the past 6 months, I have "Veeted" by chest twice :) The chest hair is definitely growing at a slower pace and is very soft and I have about 25% less hair on my chest than I did about a year ago (when I started finasteride). I've also have a couple of moles on my upper arm that each used to sprout a VERY thick hair that I had to shave once a week. No hairs growing out of them now! My hands also used to have a peach-fuzz kind of hair that grew almost to my knuckles and now that hair stops at my wrists. It's great.

8. Wuffer

Wuffer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, certainly a significant reduction. It's very convenient, since women generally dislike body hair, it's fine enough that I don't have to bother shaving / trimming my chest. I don't really have to shave my face as often either.

9. beaner

beaner Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I had a couple of patches of hair starting on my back which thankfully disappeared about 6 months after starting finasteride. I also used to have hair on my upper arms/shoulders which is also now gone.

10. abcdefg

abcdefg Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think androgens are male pattern baldness and body hair. Without androgens you never get any body hair or facial hair but that is preventing it not removing it once you have it. I think testosterone keeps body hair going even in the absence of DHT but DHT probably plays a role in triggering the hair initially much like it starts male pattern baldness. I think if we saw a real super powerful anti androgen that stopped T and DHT we would see complete stoppage of male pattern baldness but we cant do that yet safely.
    I think most men are very sensitive to androgens and that is why most men lose hair with age its just that simple we need to stop androgens but I think DHT has to be completely stopped and maybe even testosterone since it all might affect hair.

Japnicks India likes this.
  11. kaustubh.s

kaustubh.s Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I already had less hair on my body and after starting finasteride, my body hair was barely visible till first few weeks
    But since last two weeks my body hair is growing more than the normal.......and my hairline has also become bad
    Is it than finasteride has stopped working on me in just 2 months?

Japnicks India likes this.