Finasteride and body hair

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
Does finasteride have any effect on body hair? Do you know any studies on this?

I'm a Proscar veteran and I've been taking it everyday for the last 14 years. Ever since I started taking finasteride, it seems the the growth of new body hair has stopped - which is great, I hate body hair and I don't want to look like an ape. I have hair in my legs and genitals, but the back and chest are smooth, which is not very common for a 33 y.o. hispanic man.

Is there a cause and effect relationship here?

Cassin

Reaction score
Belmondo said:
Does finasteride have any effect on body hair? Do you know any studies on this?

I'm a Proscar veteran and I've been taking it everyday for the last 14 years. Ever since I started taking finasteride, it seems the the growth of new body hair has stopped - which is great, I hate body hair and I don't want to look like an ape. I have hair in my legs and genitals, but the back and chest are smooth, which is not very common for a 33 y.o. hispanic man.

Is there a cause and effect relationship here?

14 years? How has your hair held up? Do you have it in a post anywhere?

Also I am on 6 + years of finasteride and my body hair has GREATLY reduced. Pretty amazing.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
What, you did not know finasteride has an "inverse reaction" on body hair. It helps you keep your scalp hair thicker, YET makes body hair more scarce and thinner in time. I personally believe it might prevent body hair in certain areas completely if one has no hair in these areas due to young age or depending on what stage of development one is at. This is mostly in timing with what age you are when you jump on finasteride. But I have seen no studies. In the mean time the body builders who think they need all that DHT will just have to keep shaving vigorously, ha!

backintime

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using hair-removal creme (i.e., Veet) on my chest for about 12 years. Before I started finasteride, I would have to do this at least once a month to keep chest hair growth under control. In the past 6 months, I have "Veeted" by chest twice :) The chest hair is definitely growing at a slower pace and is very soft and I have about 25% less hair on my chest than I did about a year ago (when I started finasteride). I've also have a couple of moles on my upper arm that each used to sprout a VERY thick hair that I had to shave once a week. No hairs growing out of them now! My hands also used to have a peach-fuzz kind of hair that grew almost to my knuckles and now that hair stops at my wrists. It's great.

beaner

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a couple of patches of hair starting on my back which thankfully disappeared about 6 months after starting finasteride. I also used to have hair on my upper arms/shoulders which is also now gone.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think androgens are male pattern baldness and body hair. Without androgens you never get any body hair or facial hair but that is preventing it not removing it once you have it. I think testosterone keeps body hair going even in the absence of DHT but DHT probably plays a role in triggering the hair initially much like it starts male pattern baldness. I think if we saw a real super powerful anti androgen that stopped T and DHT we would see complete stoppage of male pattern baldness but we cant do that yet safely.
I think most men are very sensitive to androgens and that is why most men lose hair with age its just that simple we need to stop androgens but I think DHT has to be completely stopped and maybe even testosterone since it all might affect hair.

kaustubh.s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I already had less hair on my body and after starting finasteride, my body hair was barely visible till first few weeks
But since last two weeks my body hair is growing more than the normal.......and my hairline has also become bad
Is it than finasteride has stopped working on me in just 2 months?