Finasteride Alone - Or Minoxidil Too?

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have noticed my hair slowly getting thinner over the last 4 years, in the last year alone it seems to have gotten dramatically worse than before, so I finally took the plunge and started finasteride alone in an attempt to do something about it. Here it is the day of starting, just after a shower - not bone dry/not wet:

imageedit_1_7499433670-jpg.jpg

Its been 3 weeks since I started and the good news is I don't appear to be experiencing any of the side effects. The hair does look like it could be a little thinner than starting - this could be due to a shed or because I have had a haircut since.

I understand that typically you should wait at least 6 months before reviewing progress but after seeing a few threads saying finasteride alone will do nothing for regrowth, in particular with diffuse thinners. I am now thinking maybe I should start minoxidil along with it?

What is the general consensus on finasteride alone? or should it always be coupled with minoxidil for the regrowth element?

I am likely to start using Nizoral soon too along with the finasteride, but should I add in Minoxidil at this point? or wait and see what (if any) difference finasteride makes first? I guess the main fear is that in waiting, the thinning could possibly get worse and be more difficult to recover further down the line

Thanks

Shera

Reaction score
You should just stick with the Finasteride for now, take pictures each month and compare. It can take 3 to 4 months to make a noticeable difference.

Good luck to you.

Jim-101

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have ordered a 3 month supply of minoxidil foam but im unsure whether or not to bother yet, I guess I dont want to be dependant on something else if it wont be necessary

Am i right in thinking that finasteride will just block dht and maintain what is there? Not actually regrow anything?