finasteride 5MG - still very horny - DOES IT WORK?

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
First off, why do people keep saying you need to give finasteride from 1-2 years, or even 5 years. If finasteride does not work in a year then it will not work it even says it in the box, period. But 4 months? Yeah that's not enough time to let it act.

Also, 5 mg? I don't think it's worth to take that amount of finasteride everyday. You are risking permanent sides with it (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17655657) and when comparing to the 1mg standard dose the higher levels of dht blocked are not that significant.

If I were you, I would slowly decrease the dose until getting to 1 mg, and then wait for a full year.

yid_1984

Reaction score
What about hair growth? when did new hair come or when hair loss stopped?

Give it a year atleast..

I am happy with what finasteride gave me... gave me a slight regrowth on the hairline and stopped my aggressive male pattern baldness dead on its tracks.. visible results took a year

Reaction score
First off, why do people keep saying you need to give finasteride from 1-2 years, or even 5 years. If finasteride does not work in a year then it will not work it even says it in the box, period. But 4 months? Yeah that's not enough time to let it act.

Also, 5 mg? I don't think it's worth to take that amount of finasteride everyday. You are risking permanent sides with it (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17655657) and when comparing to the 1mg standard dose the higher levels of dht blocked are not that significant.

If I were you, I would slowly decrease the dose until getting to 1 mg, and then wait for a full year.
In fact 5mg gave no no side effects. If i had feel like "no erection ever" then something would wrong. It says that its not good to split this pill. So i have no choice anyway. Some studies says taht 5mg works better than 1mg blocker.

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
In fact 5mg gave no no side effects. If i had feel like "no erection ever" then something would wrong. It says that its not good to split this pill. So i have no choice anyway. Some studies says taht 5mg works better than 1mg blocker.

Not really, it's very common for people to buy Proscar and then use a pill cutter to manage the doses.

Again, yes 5mg will be more effective in stopping hair loss than 1mg but there's more risk of sides as I pointed out, and the actual effectiveness and lower of dht in the scalp isn't even THAT big when comparing the two.

Anyway, I just wanted to warn you but I look forward following your experience with the 5mg dose.

Good luck man!

Reaction score
Not really, it's very common for people to buy Proscar and then use a pill cutter to manage the doses.

Again, yes 5mg will be more effective in stopping hair loss than 1mg but there's more risk of sides as I pointed out, and the actual effectiveness and lower of dht in the scalp isn't even THAT big when comparing the two.

Anyway, I just wanted to warn you but I look forward following your experience with the 5mg dose.

Good luck man!
Thank you. Well there is no Proscar in my country. Just finasteride and it says: do not split pills. So i have no other choice.
I hope i see some results with year. Thanks ;)

chipsy

Reaction score
Buy a pill cutter from any pharmacy. They're cheap as chips and split you pill as you go into 4 quarters. They don't have to be exact. 5MG finasteride doses are prescribed for enlarged prostate.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Again, yes 5mg will be more effective in stopping hair loss than 1mg but there's more risk of sides as I pointed out,

where on earth did you get that information from?

the level of misinformation and naivity on this board never fails to amaze me... this whole thread is just an example of facepalming :doh:

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
where on earth did you get that information from?

the level of misinformation and naivity on this board never fails to amaze me... this whole thread is just an example of facepalming :doh:

No need to be a douche. Anyhow, I should've been more specific with that.

Even though the studies claim the sides are unable to distinguish between 1 mg and 5 mg, there is still a high possibility 5 mg may increase the chances of getting sides.

Publimed has a publishing where the 5 mg finasteride higher sides might be nocebo bias phenomenon.

Here's the conclusion, remember the study was based on the 5 mg dose, one hundred and seven patients finished the studies (of one hundred twenty patients) after 1 year of therapy.

In the current study, blinded administration of finasteride was associated with a significantly higher proportion of sexual dysfunction in patients informed on sexual side effects (group 2) as compared to those in which the same information was omitted (group 1) (P = 0.03). A scenario similar to group 2 of the current study is likely to occur in clinical practice, where the patient is counseled by the physician and has access to the drug information sheet. The burden of this nocebo effect (an adverse side effect that is not a direct result of the specific pharmacological action of the drug) has to be taken into account when managing finasteride sexual side effects.

Of course, we still need a study where they compare sides dose to dose to come to any formal conclusions (outside from the brochures and companies).

However, the 5mg finasteride dose is proven to increase the risks of having prostate cancer. Here's the excerpt:

"Men aged 55 and over with a normal digital rectal examination and PSA ≤3.0 ng/mL at baseline taking Finasteride 5 mg/day (5 times the dose of Finasteride tablet) in the 7-year Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) had an increased risk of Gleason score 8-10 prostate cancer (Finasteride 1.8% vs placebo 1.1%). [See Adverse Reactions (6.1).] Similar results were observed in a 4-year placebo-controlled clinical trial with another 5α-reductase inhibitor (dutasteride, AVODART) (1% dutasteride vs 0.5% placebo). 5α-reductase inhibitors may increase the risk of development of high-grade prostate cancer. Whether the effect of 5α-reductase inhibitors to reduce prostate volume, or study-related factors, impacted the results of these studies has not been established."

That alone proves relevance on the dose. And we are ignoring how in practice many users can support reducing the dose and coincidentally lower the sides (trusty users at least).

Anyway, I still stand to what I said initially and would advice that such dose is overkill.

Sabbah

Reaction score
No need to be a douche. Anyhow, I should've been more specific with that.

Even though the studies claim the sides are unable to distinguish between 1 mg and 5 mg, there is still a high possibility 5 mg may increase the chances of getting sides.

Publimed has a publishing where the 5 mg finasteride higher sides might be nocebo bias phenomenon.

Here's the conclusion, remember the study was based on the 5 mg dose, one hundred and seven patients finished the studies (of one hundred twenty patients) after 1 year of therapy.

In the current study, blinded administration of finasteride was associated with a significantly higher proportion of sexual dysfunction in patients informed on sexual side effects (group 2) as compared to those in which the same information was omitted (group 1) (P = 0.03). A scenario similar to group 2 of the current study is likely to occur in clinical practice, where the patient is counseled by the physician and has access to the drug information sheet. The burden of this nocebo effect (an adverse side effect that is not a direct result of the specific pharmacological action of the drug) has to be taken into account when managing finasteride sexual side effects.

Of course, we still need a study where they compare sides dose to dose to come to any formal conclusions (outside from the brochures and companies).

However, the 5mg finasteride dose is proven to increase the risks of having prostate cancer. Here's the excerpt:

"Men aged 55 and over with a normal digital rectal examination and PSA ≤3.0 ng/mL at baseline taking Finasteride 5 mg/day (5 times the dose of Finasteride tablet) in the 7-year Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) had an increased risk of Gleason score 8-10 prostate cancer (Finasteride 1.8% vs placebo 1.1%). [See Adverse Reactions (6.1).] Similar results were observed in a 4-year placebo-controlled clinical trial with another 5α-reductase inhibitor (dutasteride, AVODART) (1% dutasteride vs 0.5% placebo). 5α-reductase inhibitors may increase the risk of development of high-grade prostate cancer. Whether the effect of 5α-reductase inhibitors to reduce prostate volume, or study-related factors, impacted the results of these studies has not been established."

That alone proves relevance on the dose. And we are ignoring how in practice many users can support reducing the dose and coincidentally lower the sides (trusty users at least).

Anyway, I still stand to what I said initially and would advice that such dose is overkill.

But that study shows older men, it does not mean the 5 mg will effect younger men equally.

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
But that study shows older men, it does not mean the 5 mg will effect younger men equally.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Basically, 5 mg is proven to increase risk of prostate cancer when compared to the standard dose. Prostate problems are often connected to impotence and libido issues in general. Even treatments for prostate are known to induce gynecomastia. Am I making any sense or just connecting random dots? Yes, I heard it. Risk of getting sides does not depend on the dose, but common sense tells me otherwise. I'm sure everything is well with the op but be cautious, that's all I am saying. ;)

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score

People keep saying you need to give finasteride between 1 to 2 years because its true. It took 2 years before I noticed results.

Aesthetic

Established Member
Reaction score
First, you're probably getting a biased sample. It is generally accepted that you need 1 to 2 years to reach max effect. Second, many people are also using rogane, which will give you faster visible results. I am not because I'd rather see what finasteride does before I commit to a lifetime of rubbing that nasty **** into my head. Third, I would be worried about starting off with such a strong dose. I don't know much about DHT (i.e., this is wild speculation), but I'd worry that if you over-supress, your body might have a compensatory response. But I'm on some buIl**** with that third point, so maybe 5 mg is fine, but settle down all the same.
same situation im in

OSWALD

Reaction score

You are right.

5 mg dosage is the best finasteride dosage for preventing hair loss.

No more sexual side effects and best results according to 1 mg finasteride(propecia )

http://s13.postimg.org/8cwr6qmfr/different_dosages.jpg