finasteride - 4 years on - time to quit? Advice appreciated.

do it

Reaction score
Hi All

After finding this site over 4 years ago now I took the plunge and started taking 1mg finasteride daily (actually Proscasr cut into fifths) - I don't have any of the big side effcets (in fact, I'm unaware of any side effects) . I also use Nizoral 3 times a week.

I'm now 36 and while my front hairline had held reaonably well, the crown is much thinner than when i started.

I'm a diffuse thinner with more so on the crown. I also use Nanogen to thiken out the crown but i'm nearing a point when it's becoming touch and go whether or not its obvious I'm trying to hide it.

Anyway, I've got about 5 weeks of my current batch of Proscar left so am wondering if now is good time to cease with the drugs (I'm becoming more and more concerned over the long term effects on my body of taking the drug and reduced DHT in my body).

I lead a busy lifestyle so lotions and potions that have to dry etc aren't practical.

I'd appreciate your views on this all, particulary:
1. long term side effects
2. other (topical i guess) options that are simple to use and maintain
3. anything i've missed!!

Thanks and apologies for the long post.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I don't think you should stop, especially if you've had no side effects. It could be that your hairloss would have been much worse if you weren't on finasteride.

I think you should continue the finasteride and also add minoxodil.

I'm sure you can spare 6-7 minutes a day to apply minoxodil, no matter how busy you are.

KeepTheHair

Established Member
Reaction score
I would not stop the treatment. It depends how important hair is to you... to me it is VERY important.

The drug is safe. Safe enough, anyway. I think a few more years until better options are available might be a good idea. Maybe take less of the drug rather than nothing, also.

Your decision.

do it2

Reaction score
Mods: apologies but i've created a 2nd login as I couldn't log on with "do it" and my email address has changed - please can you put my new email address back with the old login? thanks.

Cheers guys. Both fair points.

I've not "noticed" any of the obvious side effects other than I'm finding it harder to get rid of body fat these days but that could just be my age :0)

Problem I have with this process is that my hairloss has not stopped and I've not had any regrowth but the catch 22 is that you never know whether or not this amount of hairloss would have been worse without the finasteride?

Regarding the minoxidil, it already takes me 30 mins to sort my hair out and I'm not sure I want to keep adding to the regime or cost of it. My hair is improtant to me but flooging a dead horse also springs to mind.

I'm just concerned about the long term use of the drug really and I'm at a point anyway where another 6 - 12 montsh and I won't be able to use the cover ups withit being obvious. Time to a tan and a number 3 buzz cut maybe!

do it2

Reaction score
Oh well. I've decided to order another batch of Proscar with a view to reducing the daily dose to zero over the next 6 months.

Time to except the fact that my hair is going to thin and live with it. I've spent far too much time and money on drugs, shampoo's and cover-ups not to mention a £50 haircut every 5 weeks!

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

Defiance

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you should give your tan and buzz cut idea a go, meaning no pricey haircuts/coverups/ 30 min a day spent on hair.
Stay on finasteride, and add minoxidil to your crown morn and night, seriously takes less time than brushing teeth.

For all you know you could respond great to minoxidil and grow most of your crown back,
Worth a shot...

do it2

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Does minoxidil grow new hair or just ressurect the exixtinf stuff?

Defiance said:
I think you should give your tan and buzz cut idea a go, meaning no pricey haircuts/coverups/ 30 min a day spent on hair.
Stay on finasteride, and add minoxidil to your crown morn and night, seriously takes less time than brushing teeth.

For all you know you could respond great to minoxidil and grow most of your crown back,
Worth a shot...

McFlyer

Reaction score
To the OP, have you experienced any shedding while on finasteride? If so, could you guesstimate as to how much per day?

do it2

Reaction score
I've not had any shedding (that I've been aware of at least).

Cappy said:
To the OP, have you experienced any shedding while on finasteride? If so, could you guesstimate as to how much per day?