Finasteride 0.05mg and 5mg: No Difference in effectiveness?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The following is some discussion from another website that I found to be very interesting (PM me if you need a link)..it basically says that there is no much difference in effectiveness between 0.05 mg (yes! it is not 0.5 but 0.05!!) and 5 mg finasteride!!!

Note: links provided in the discussion are all dead...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, after reading this article, I was left with some questions/concerns regarding Propecia dosages. Some of you probably know the info contained in it already, but I'll sum up the important parts.

"the percent change of DHT for placebo and .01 mg finasteride were identical and essentially zero within a reasonable statistical estimate. The change dropped by 60 % for a .05 mg dose and stayed that way for all dosages up to 5 mg. Thus a 20 times smaller dose than PROPECIA had the same effect on the DHT."

"Thus the fact that the dosage has been set by the manufacturer at a level far larger than the level measured as necessary for the main function, has not been reported publicly. Yet, the vastly lower dosages, reported in the data submitted to the FDA, would be expected to reduce the chance of side effects."

So, if such a small dosage of finasteride has the same inhibiting effects on DHT, why would Merck recommend such a higher dosage??? Especially on a person who is just starting out on it. It makes no sense to me, seems like they are not only condoning, but recommending their consumers to take a USELESS risk.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Article: http://www.physics.upenn.edu/faculty.../propeciafda2/
http://www.physics.upenn.edu/faculty...pcrapmerck.htm
http://www.physics.upenn.edu/faculty.../propeciafda2/
------

Now, there were no efficacy tests done for dosages of 0.02mg-0.2mg (not sure why), but there were for 1mg and 0.2mg. However, the sample of participants (100) was small and the differences between the .2 and 1.0 dosages in the first two cases were not apparent and, in the photographic assessment, which showed a larger mean improvement for 1 mg, the values overlapped statistically at the 95% confidence level. ---> 68.7
+/- 17.3 and 54.9 +/- 17.

From the looks of it, Merck/FDA did not care to thoroughly look into the effectiveness of a lower dose. Why? Beats me.

Another excerpt from one of the articles which basically sums up the whole situation nicely.

"I cannot understand why saving money ``cannot be condoned'' when the cost is approximately $1000 per year, not covered by insurance, and the drug must be taken forever in order to preserve any hair growth.
There are no data proving that the lower dosages are ineffective while the physical T to DHT conversion measurements are flat from .05 to 5 mg. Considering the cost to take the drug for the rest of one's life and
that the drug is too expensive for most young men, an intelligent user might want to do a few month trial at lower dosage. Nothing to lose but some fuzz."

I've been reading about hair loss for about a month, I'm no expert, but so far this is what stuck out to me the most. I know for sure if I go on propecia, I'm starting at 0.25mg and taking it days apart to start.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I feel like this is very important information and I haven't seen many people talk about it on here. You have an almost identical story to a guy that called in The Bald Truth radio show the other week. Had bad side effects at 1mg, went off, went back on at 0.25mg and had minor side effects at first but stuck it out and is good now. Only thing is that guy started to slowly up his dose, not sure why, even Spencer asked why he didn't just remain at the low dose if it were working.

I can't say it with certainty because I am no expert, but it seems like 0.25 definitely has way less chance for adverse sides, but the fact you and that other guy and probably other people did experience minor sides, tells me that the drug it still working (plus your having good results on it, and if your hair got worse you could always up the dose slightly).

If you read all of this, thanks bro haha. Peace.

(To anyone reading don't take my word for nothing check the links and do your own research)

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I haven't read through those articles and links, but from previous research I've done, it probably varies per person .The two graphs usually reffered to when this question comes up are below. I don't know how relevant or accurate they are. 1mg per day does seem potentially unnecessarily high. 0.5mg is almost as effective but not quite (according to graph 1)- you may be in the small percentage where the 0.5 makes the difference though- that would be a bummer.

Merck probably chose 1mg per day because it was a good compromise dose that would be effective for most men, but any higher dose wouldn't give much extra benefit and might have a higher risk of unwanted side effects.

This together with the DHT suppression times in the second graph suggest that lower less frequent doses may well be as effective. I've been on (roughly) 1mg per day for years, but now I'm experimenting with lower doses and different frequencies. Difficult to do when you use 5mg tablets, but still.

x5Pdu.jpg

32210168_DHT.GIF

out of interest, why is that website prohibited?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow!! Thanks for the graphs and explanation!

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
on the other hand, dosage may have an effect on male pattern baldness but not necessarily on reducing/increasing side effects. Whether you take 0.5, 1, 2, or 5mg doses, the amount of DHT suppressed is more-or-less the same. And it's the DHT suppression (presumably) that causes the unwanted side effects, not the drug itself. Reducing the amount may not lessen side effects, but may cause you to lose more hair.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I always thought that the lower the dose, the less likely you are to get side effects!!!!:shock: but having read what you've written, it seems like you are quite right about that.....

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
DHT Suppression is necessary for your hair to improve.

Finasteride and Dutasteride. Are treatments for the Prostate Gland. The prostate gland is linked to your semen or something. It produces less of it the longer you take the medicaitons which is also how it suppresses DHT and DHT is a male sex hormone there are really no side effects. if you supress and lower the levels of a sex hormone it will lower libido ? correct me if i made mistakes but it is complex

I think the theory behind Propecia when it was developed for hairloss, is that DHT isn't vital for the adult male body. If it suppressed testosterone that would be a different matter - it would be disastrous

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I always thought that the lower the dose, the less likely you are to get side effects!!!!:shock: but having read what you've written, it seems like you are quite right about that.....

well that's what I thought, and it may be true if you take very low doses of finasteride, because not enough DHT is being suppressed to cause the problems. At the same time, at very low doses, not enough DHT is being suppressed to stop hairloss. So you can't win really.

That said, I would suggest it's wise to take the minimum amount of the drug necessary that doesn't negatively affect your hair