Finally on Proscar, Byaaaaaaaah!

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
040121_DeanSpeech_hd.hmedium.jpg

I finally was able to get a prescription for proscar today at a medexpress. At first he was very reluctant to prescribe it, but then I started spitting out knowledge that I learned from this site and he knew I had a good understanding of what it was and the sides so he ended up prescribing it to me. So I have a couple of questions. About 6 months ago, I had a really nice head of hair, a little thin but unnoticeable. Over the past 6 months ive been shedding like crazy and have went from an Norwood 1.5 to close to a diffuse nw3. The hairline is great but is just generally thin all over to the point where I can't gel or style it anymore...also is considerably thin at the crown. Is there a good chance that I will be able to get some of that back since i caught it so early, or is it kind of a hit or miss situation?

Also here is my regimen as of now

1 mg of Proscar (daily)
Rogaine Foam (2X daily)
Nizoral (3-4 times a week)
Emu oil (for scalp maintenance)
MSM (to speed up hair growth)

Any suggestions for addition to the regimen? Also, I know its hard to predict as each person responds differently ..will I most likely have a significant amount of regrowth or will it be mainly just for maintenance?

mu0325

Established Member
Reaction score
if i were you i will drop rogaine i think its is too early for it...

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
Does everyone else agree, that I should drop the foam? If so why? Any other suggestions?

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Since you just started the foam, the hair isn't really dependent on it. You could go ahead and drop it and add it if you're not satisfied with the proscar.
Any hair that you did grow while on the foam will fall out as proscar probably won't protect any 'mino dependent' hair.

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason why the foam should go? Will the propecia take care of the majority of the problem? The thinning started 2 years ago around the crown area, but didn't become diffuse and particularly noticeable till around 6 months ago where I lost massive amounts of hair.I took rogaine (liquid) about a year ago and my crown filled in completely but I dropped it and lost it all...so I know I'm a good responder to minoxidil thats why I'm a little concerned about dropping it.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you're an NW3, you might want some regrowth and minoxidil could help. i think what they're saying is that minoxidil makes the hair dependent on it and it's a bit annoying having to apply it all the time.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well lets se youre about a diffuse nw3, for most people finasteride only maintaine.. and can give some regrowth. But if you really want results finasteride and minoxidil (rogain foam) is the best combo to get regrowth.
I would stay on the foam.
The old minoxidil was alot of bother..but this foam dryes in 2 min and is greate so it wont be such trouble to use.
GL

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks guys....now that I'm on finasteride do I have a better chance getting a lot of the hair back that I lost since it happened so recently, or is it hard to say?