Finally obvious results after 18 months (no pics, sorry)

ctulhu

Reaction score
Well, here I am, finally able to post in the success story forum.

Like the title says, I'm finally getting results I'm happy with, after 18 months of worrying endlessly about my hairloss, and lots of experimenting.

Short timeline:

I first noticed hairloss in about 2007, when a friend of mine noticed some thinning on my crown. It was pretty much unnoticable at that point, it only became apparant when I had my hair buzzed short, and under direct sunlight. After my friend commented on it I got on finasteride for about a year. I stopped because my hair was fine, and I didnt think it made much of a difference.

My hair stayed pretty much the same until 2009, when it started falling very quickly. At the end of 2009 I got a real shock when I looked at my families christmas pictures. My hair was TERRIBLE, and I seemed to have lost it in only 6 months.

At that point in my life I was a complete mess. I was overweight, bordeline alcoholic, had health problems due to an extreme diet I did at the start of 2009, and my long term relationship with my first real girlfriend ended, which left me extremely depressed. I'm quite sure this contributed to my hairloss, even though the main culprit was of course genetics.

I started treatment in march of 2010, but I did it very naively, and inconsistent. I took differend doses of finasteride, switched amount and brand of minoxidil a lot, and just kept losing hair. In Nov of 2010, my hair looked the worst yet, and I decided to get it over with and buzz it all off. BIG MISTAKE! I look absolutely horrible bald, and this realisation made me revamp my regiment. So in December of 2010 I started with the following:

- Regaine foam in the morning, spectral dnc in the evening.
- 1.25g of finasteride
- Revita shampoo and conditioner
- folligen for blondes and emu oil.

The results were promising, but lacking. A couple of friends mentioned that my hair looked better a couple of times, but my crown still looked horrible, and I wasn't satisfied at all. The folligen ran out at some point, and I didn't order any new bottles. I did try tricoming though. Also, my scalp was horribly inflamed, and hurt a lot. Mostly in the ares where the thinning was worst, i.e. the temples and crown.

One month ago, I decided that I had to do something against the itching, and changed my regiment as follows.

- 1g of finasteride
- Regaine foam in the morning, spectral mx5 low alcohol in the evening.
- Folligen for bloneds and emu oil every 2 days.
- A rotation of shampoos
- Ket once every 4 days, tee trea shampoo the following day, and revivogen on the other days.
- A generous amount of pure aloe vera gel with the shampoo, daily.
- Apple cider vinegar rinse once a week.

Immediately after starting all this, the itch and irritation dissapeared, and has yet to become a problem again. My scalp is not 100% perfect, but I can finally comb my hair again without the skin hurting. Some days before, even the wind blowing through my hair would cause it to hurt!

The reason for finally posting is that my hair has improved tremendously in the last 4 weeks. My temples, which went almost to the level of my ears, have filled in a lot. My hairline stayed the same after it initially recovered a bit, but when looking "between" the existing healthy hair, I can see a lot smaller hairs poking through.

When I part my hair, there are a lot of hairs showing, which seem to slowly grow longer, and have started to get pigmented again. My crown is also recovering noticably, 2 months ago I would need to use a fair amount of toppic for it to look acceptable, today I only used a tiny amount, and it looked quite good! The hair on my crown is lighter in color, and when you look closely in the mirror you can still see the scalp a bit, but it's worlds better than it was before.
The hair is also recovering the same dark blonde color it used to have, before I got improvements, my side and back of the head was a dark and dense blonde, while the top was a lot lighter. You could basically see a border of dark and light hair where my scalp was thinning, and this is almost completely gone now

Last week I went to the barber, and got my hair cut a bit shorter than I wore it the last 18 months, closer to the length I used to have it before my hair loss started, and when I look into the mirror I finally see the man I was before this all started. When I shower, or comb my hair, there is also a lot less hair in my hands afterwards.

I'm satisfied with my regiment right now, the next step is getting my body in shape, I know this is quite controversial on these forums, but I absolutely think that living a healthy life style at the very least compliments a solid regiment. I want to ditch smoking, sugar, and fast food in the next couple of months, as well as starting exercising regularily. I'm hopeful that my hair will continue to improve, but also scared that I may only be experimencing some short lived success, like others on hairlosstalk have. We'll see how it goes!

Some experiences of note that I made in the last 18 months:

- Patience is ABSOLUTELY VITAL. Hairloss can take a lot of time to revert, even with a good program.

- Revita and the conditioner didn't do a lot for me, I don't think it made things worse, but it may have contributed to my irritation.

- Eating healthy at the very least reduced how oily my hair would become at the end of the day.

- Most supplements are propably a waste of money, at some point I ordered a huge amount of different stuff, which I took for 3 months, without any changes, exept for the amount of money I had. When you eat healthy you can propably get a lot of the vitamins and minerals you need without paying as much. I still do take fish oil, b vitamins, and milk thiste (I had liver problems a year ago)
I'm not bashing them completely, but they are very expensive.

- Folligen for blondes is propably one of the things that had the most impact for me, it helped my irritation and my hair started recovering a lot faster after I started using it again.

- Apple cider vinegar made a huge, huge difference on my scalp, I recommend it to anyone who has itchy scalp or dandruff. I use 1/2 glass of acv, and 1/2 water, and rinse my hair once a week after shampooing my hair. DO NOT do this more than once a week, when I did my scalp burned horribly.

Ok.. quite a lot of text here, but I wanted to get this off my chest :) I hope this is interesting to some of you, and feel free to ask me about anything I forgot or is unclear. I am not posting pics because I don't like the idea of having my hair on display, and because I think a friend of mine is browsing here. IF my hair ever returns to a status I am 100% satisfied with however, I will post pics.

Seiya

Reaction score
Are you still in the same regimen?
Btw, can you upload some pictures? Doesn't matter if you don't have before pictures, I would like to see the current results you are getting from these products.
Thank you!

ctulhu

Reaction score
Short update, no pics still though.

My hair is pretty much the same. The frontal half is thin, but ok, and my scalp is still noticably thinner than the rest. There still are buckets of short and unpigmented hairs all over the scalp, and I think that there are more of these on my vertex. I never noticed them before, but when I comb my hair back in that are I see them standing up. Hopefully they'll turn terminal at some point..

On the upside though, I have NO irritation or itching anymore since I'm using the new products, and I barely shed any hair right now. Even if I comb my hair over a surface I only see maybe 2-3 hairs. If anything, I have completely stopped my hairloss. I'll post an update when I see any changes.

ctulhu

Reaction score
24 Month update (still no pics)

So I said I'd post an update when things change, and they have.. fortunately for the better!

I'm now at the 24 month mark with my treatments, and my hair is pretty close to what it was 3-4 years ago, before my hairloss got really aggressive.
The crown is still thinner than the rest, and my hairloss is still spotty, but it's reached a point where I'd say it's O.K.

I've not changed my regiment much, but I have added:

- curcumin and resveratrol daily, which is one of the supplement combos that I've found to be quite interesting for hairloss. I'm only about a month in, so I doubt it's made any difference.

- avalon biotin complex shampoo. Good for thickening and it makes my hair look pretty nice. It's also slightly helped with irritation.

The main reason why I'm posting at this point is that I've been getting some positive comments about my hair. My roomate who I've known for a while commented on it first, followed my my GF. Biggest suprise and high moment in my hairloss story is that my regular hairdresser said that she was very suprised at how much better it has gotten in the last couple of months expecially. Made me feel very good :)

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Congratz man with the succes you got while on treatments !

You wrote that it takes a long time to see hairloss revert, and get better.
Which month did you start to see results?

+ Have you ever shedded more hair than usual because of these treatments ?

Grtz !

ctulhu

Reaction score
Hi!

For the first 9 months or so I shed a lot more than I do now, and my hair got worse for quite some time. I'd say that the first noticable results came around month 12, and the really obvious results after month 15. So basically from month 12-24 it's been going slowly uphill.

cat3appr

Reaction score
hello, with finasteride you mean finasteride I guess right? I used it for 3 weeks and stopped, now I'm on my 4 month of Minoxidil and my hair are very good in general, some regrowth. Did you notice the lower libido side effect of finasteride? I'm trying to have the most objective approach to this but it looks like, from what i found online, medical demonstrations, that it can really affect the sexual life.
Any input are welcome thanks!

ctulhu

Reaction score
Update: about 36-40 Months now.

Hair is still pretty much the same. Front half is stron, vertex kinda thin, hairline stayed the same. My temples have at best improved a tiny bit. It's still not hair where I'd say I'm happy with it, but I don't stress myself anymore. It's not horrible, and I'm not losing right now.

I'm currently using:

1.25 mg finasteride
2.5 ml Regaine foam (1ml in the morning, 1,5 at night)
Nizoral sparingly, I keep forgetting it.

I've started dermarolling due to the current hype, but it's only been one week, so nothing to report yet.

Not very exiting, I know, but keeping my hair regrowth stable for a bit over 3 years is worth noting I think.

Some things I noticed:

-When I have increased periods where I skip applications, I think I can see increased loss. There was a month where I started a new job, which left me very tired in the evening, and stressed in the morning, in which I also traveled on the weekends. I'd say I missed about 1/3 of the applications in that time, and I definitly saw some loss. Currently I'm using it very strictly, and the loose hairs have stopped.

-Folligen and Emu oil may or may not have had an effect, but the application is messy, so I stopped. There was no major improvement/loss, so I don't think it's a major player. Same with supplements, I don't really have enough money to spend more than 20€ a month on this stuff, and remembering 4 pills and 2 powders in the morning and evening is kinda stressfull. There was never a major difference here either, so while I do think it can make a difference, it's a lot of work for minor benefits.

- Hairloss is still not that big of a deal. The biggest reason why I wanted to regrow my hair was simply attractiveness to women. I'm pretty convinced that I'd look way better with full hair, but honestly all the girls I've been with, as well as friends I asked never really cared that much. I also asked about 5 female friends about my hair, and not one even really noticed it before I asked them about it. Out of the 5, 3 asked "Huh? What hairloss? You mean your temples?" and the other two just said "A little bit maybe, but it's not really that important is it?".
I'm pretty relaxed with it, and I've found that I don't go for girls who seriously would reject me because of my hair anyway.