Fighting Against Genes And Denial. Hope Needed.

Caffeineandstudies

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello. 24-year-old NW2-2.5 here. I still have small hairs coming out of my temples, so I guess I have hope since those follicles are not dead.

I probably have the usual story, but I feel like I need to express my feelings even though I wouldn't get any help for my situation.

Loooong story part:

So early in my life I did not really care about my hair. Well actually I cared about it a lot when I hit my teenage years, but it was only that I didn't have the courage to style it until I had to buzz it down for my military service. My only worry before was that I had to grow it long enough so the sides of my head wouldn't create a microphone type thing because they were and are sticking out really hard until the weight of the hair is enough. It was either really short hair or really long, until I found out that you could actually style your hair!

I once heard when I competitively played sports that I would look good if I'd do something with my hair - I took that only as a compliment and was happy about it, did still not worry about my hair. I also always got compliments from barbers that I have my mother's thick hair, and worst of all my mother always said that I didn't inherit my dad's almost-bald-toothbrush-on-top-hair. Don't get me wrong, my dad has always had that hairline when I've been on Earth, and he is not completely horseshoe bald, though not far away from that.

So, about my family. The mother side of the family have all really good hair. My maternal grandfather has still decent hair although he is already almost 85 years old. My uncle from mother's side got almost perfect hairline despite being 50 years old and his kid, my cousin, got the non receeded hairline also.

Now the side of my father is not that simple. My father has two exactly as bald brothers as he is himself. I have seen him in the old pictures as 29-year-old being almost as bald as now, I couldn't tell the difference if I were not balding myself and that way not having the knowledge about these things. Tricky thing is that I have many male cousins from my father's side and none of them are bald/balding. One is my age and one is older than me, so apparently I got the sh*t genes. I don't really know the odds I got the balding gene, but it can't be greater than 50%.

I first noticed something weird about my hair when I had to buzz it for the military. My ex-girlfriend that time said that you have a weird hairline (I was about 19-20 years old) but it was nothing big. I liked to buzz it down to minimum without actually shaving it because I thought it was the best style for me. Couple of years ago I realized why that fitted me the best, well of course because of the slightly receded temples.

That period of my life went without worrying about my hair and I actually really liked it after the buzzcut, because I finally realized how to style it. By the time I started to style it (I was 21-years-old) I noticed at some party that my hairline was receding just slightly but my friends said that I got nothing to worry about, 'you have had that same hairline as long as I remember'. Well obviously I didn't worry about it after that too much, only like once in a couple of months.

Couple of years went by and my hair did not really change until this spring. I had really rough time in the end of 2016. I was a bit depressed. I had no money, I didn't attend to my school, I did not workout as much I used to, or couldn't eat that healthy because of lack of money. I moved back to home to re-evaluate my future plans early this year and got accepted in other university. Slowly my slight depression went away, until our really loved dog died in February, so the process got little trickier. (Yes I know, it was only a dog but I have always had really bad fear of the death, since I was 9 years old)

One day this spring (May) I went to barber and decided to get typical haircut to kinda short hair. Last time I cut my hair was in February where I did not notice anything. This time I was devastated. I really wanted to show the barber that it was not about her work but I just couldn't do anything but stare my new bald spot on left temple. Since then I have worried about my hair daily and life is getting really rough - just when I was recovering from last upset. I had hard time reading to my most important exams for the new university's entrance exam but somehow managed to get in. I could say that my life has had kinda big amount of stress in past 8 months.

Situation now:

I am about to be in the spot that there is no way I can hide my balding temples even with styling my hair. I feel like over these two months my hairline has receded more than in 2 years combined. I really do have still thick hair in front and decent in back (no bald spots in the back) but my temples are going fast, especially left side. I am more and more embarrassed every time I go to work.

Last week I've noticed major thinning, even on faster pace than last two months. Could be also that I started Revivogen scalp therapy and shampoo one week ago which also has the shedding phase. I know that most of you guys here are not fan of that product and don't really think that works, but I don't have better solution right now.

I might try finasteride if this does not work, but I am really scared to start that, and is also more expensive and harder to get than Revivogen (obviously). Also minoxidil is almost certainly out of question because it does not really block DHT and is only efficient when used every day or even twice a day.

Why I am so worried about my hair loss? Maybe it is because I never had a good relationship with my father, I have always wanted to go different path than him, and I think as a person I am of course kinda like him but on the other hand not even near. The fact that I am almost certainly inheriting his worst and probably only bad attribute is really appalling, I'd rather have glasses like my whole family (who wouldn't).

Also I know I have insanely good genes other than hair, which is only half good, where the other half does not really matter since I am losing it. I am 6'4 tall guy and I'd say I am reasonably good looking also. I have good genes for muscle building and sports in general. Last week when I was working, some group of girls actually asked my number and after that one customer told me that I am in the approximately in the 5 % of people if judged by looks.

Third. The biggest reason why I am so feared about this is that I don't get to choose who I am. I have always wanted to have options in my life but this forced road to lower standard of living is driving me nuts. I don't wanna be cocky but I really don't think anyone deserves this - at least not me. I have done so much work to get body (yes I am quite muscular) and myself in this point I am right now, and I feel like something I cannot control is taking it from me.

I would not be scared about fact that I would go bald in my fifties, it would be kinda natural. But these years from this point on to maybe mid thirties should be the years I am on my top of attractiveness and performance level. I don't wanna waste these years worrying my hair but I cannot help it. I hope someone else can and reads this massive text I wrote, or even part of it.

I accept that everyone is dealt a hand when they born but I don't like the fact that some people suddenly get robbed and dealt new worse cards during the game. In addition I think today's society is not as accepting for balding as people were 30 years ago, that's why I need to start my fight.

TL: DR

Same story as many of you guys, but I am really scared for my future. Also I am probably going to upload some pictures with my progress with Revivogen. My first week and post is done.

If any of you guys have some experiences with Revivogen in early stages of balding, I would like to hear them out. I couldn't find that many of them, some more promising, some less. I am ready to pay 30 dollars per month or two for this treatment.

If you have more regiments you guys are recommending I would like to hear about them. Like I said, I am NW2-2.5 temples receding only and just losing my NW2 hairline, still have some follicles alive there (you can actually see the old line).

Well this was not supposed to be this long but I am a perfectionist. Thanks for reading.

dualwield

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good to hear that you are taking action. Just curious, have you started finasteride yet? I am new on this forum but have been on finasteride soon 1,5 half months and I feel that it has, at least, halted my hair loss. I think that it could be nice of you to take some photos (starting point and go from there) to measure any progress made. My own theory is to take photos 1 time per month or 1 time every second month. I can totally relate to the depressing feeling of losing hair and I am also quite muscular and I think that hair is an important part of looks. I wish you good luck with your journey!

Caffeineandstudies

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good to hear that you are taking action. Just curious, have you started finasteride yet? I am new on this forum but have been on finasteride soon 1,5 half months and I feel that it has, at least, halted my hair loss. I think that it could be nice of you to take some photos (starting point and go from there) to measure any progress made. My own theory is to take photos 1 time per month or 1 time every second month. I can totally relate to the depressing feeling of losing hair and I am also quite muscular and I think that hair is an important part of looks. I wish you good luck with your journey!
Really cool to see that someone actually read this post.

I haven't started finasteride yet, but I will ask whenever I get to start at my uni (free doctor appointments there). I have taken some pictures but my regimen has only lasted 25 days. I have noticed some shedding in the area I have targetted, so I really hope it is a good sign.

I have added zinc and d-vitamin to my regimen. D-vitamin is mainly for winter and lack of sunlight and I decided to prepare early this year (I am moving to waaay north). I am also considering 0,5mm/1mm dermaroller, which is proven to work. Also really intrested in ketoconazole shampoo and might go to buy one later.

I am not sure, but I don't really lose that much hair anymore I used to. I really noticed losing some hair back in spring. I have been testing my hairloss by mildly pulling hairs from my scalp - I used to see 2-4 hairs between fingers and now I usually wont see any or maybe one.

Itching was not that big of a problem for me, but I think it might have been reduced also.