Few Questions Regarding Starting Minoxidil

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My hairloss has gotten to the stage where I need to do something and I'm 100% sure it's not a mature hairline now. I would say I'm around a NW2 now, mostly temple recession. I'm hesitant to get on finasteride because of sides, so I'm looking into try minoxidil. I have a few questions:

1. How long until you start seeing results, and realistically what can I expect? Has anyone gotten decent temple regrowth from it?
2. Should I try min alone or also do dermarolling?
3. Any side effects? I heard it can cause your skin to age and puffy/tired eyes, and less so I've heard that it can cause brain fog and even mess with your BP.
4. How bad is the shedding phase exactly?
5. Has it made anyone's hair worse?

I'm hoping this can buy me at least 2-3 years and pray that a cure comes out until then. I'm also considering going out on a limb and trying Trinov though I know that's risky and truthfully doesn't look too promising.

What do you all think? Thanks.

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My hairloss has gotten to the stage where I need to do something and I'm 100% sure it's not a mature hairline now. I would say I'm around a NW2 now, mostly temple recession. I'm hesitant to get on finasteride because of sides, so I'm looking into try minoxidil. I have a few questions:

1. How long until you start seeing results, and realistically what can I expect? Has anyone gotten decent temple regrowth from it?
2. Should I try min alone or also do dermarolling?
3. Any side effects? I heard it can cause your skin to age and puffy/tired eyes, and less so I've heard that it can cause brain fog and even mess with your BP.
4. How bad is the shedding phase exactly?
5. Has it made anyone's hair worse?

I'm hoping this can buy me at least 2-3 years and pray that a cure comes out until then. I'm also considering going out on a limb and trying Trinov though I know that's risky and truthfully doesn't look too promising.

What do you all think? Thanks.

1. It's different for everyone. You may see results quick or it may take awhile. A general rule is to give it 6 consistent months before casting a judgement .

2. Dermaroll with it. Follow the study to a T. It's cheap and can have potential dramatic results.

3. I haven't experienced any of the side effects you have listed yet and I'm monitoring myself close. I have experienced one side effect from minoxidil. Headaches. Pounding headaches. They disappeared after my body adjusted to the medicine.

4. I didn't go through a shedding phase. Most importantly, if you do experience one you must continue on using the medication like normal. Do not stop and get discouraged, otherwise you will ruin potential results.

5. I'm not sure, but I would bet it's a possibility and has happened. But this has to be the gross exception and isnt a reason to not try it. There will likely be a shedding phase. This isn't permanent.

With that said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are actually thinning (Don't fix what isn't broken). I had positive results on my crown and temple and I was only using it on my beard for awhile (This apparently isn't typical, and is so rare people still doubt me and call me a liar). The stuff works. At least for me.

If you want to actually stop the male pattern baldness in it's tracks and see potential re growth long term you need to consistently use Finastride with it. I'm hesitant to do it due to the reported side effects but it's something to consider. At that point add a ketaconzole shampoo and you have basically covered all bases.

Last edited:

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
1. It's different for everyone. You may see results quick or it may take awhile. A general rule is to give it 6 consistent months before casting a judgement .

2. Dermaroll with it. Follow the study to a T. It's cheap and can have potential dramatic results.

3. I haven't experienced any of the side effects you have listed yet and I'm monitoring myself close. I have experienced one side effect from minoxidil. Headaches. Pounding headaches. They disappeared after my body adjusted to the medicine.

4. I didn't go through a shedding phase. Most importantly, if you do experience one you must continue on using the medication like normal. Do not stop and get discouraged, otherwise you will ruin potential results.

5. I'm not sure, but I would bet it's a possibility and has happened. But this has to be the gross exception and isnt a reason to not try it. There will likely be a shedding phase. This isn't permanent.

With that said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are actually thinning (Don't fix what isn't broken). I had positive results on my crown and temple and I was only using it on my beard for awhile (This apparently isn't typical, and is so rare people still doubt me and call me a liar). The stuff works. At least for me.

If you want to actually stop the male pattern baldness in it's tracks and see potential re growth long term you need to consistently use Finastride with it. I'm hesitant to do it due to the reported side effects but it's something to consider. At that point add Nizoral and you have basically covered all bases.
Thanks for the reply bro, I'll make a thread in the coming days with new pictures to show my recession. My biggest fears are it messing with my skin or worsening my hair. Do you think it'll buy enough time for a hopeful cure by 2020-2022?

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply bro, I'll make a thread in the coming days with new pictures to show my recession. My biggest fears are it messing with my skin or worsening my hair. Do you think it'll buy enough time for a hopeful cure by 2020-2022?

It basically won't worsen your hair, I can all but guarantee that. Although I guess it's a possibility it's an irrational fear. I haven't experienced skin issues yet, perhaps other's can comment about it.

I truly have no idea if they will find a cure or not. Let's cross our fingers

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
On the topic of skin, the only other side effect experienced was dry skin. My scalp flakes like crazy from it. Honestly not a bad side effect at all

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
On the topic of skin, the only other side effect experienced was dry skin. My scalp flakes like crazy from it. Honestly not a bad side effect at all
Shampoo didn't keep it under control? And did you see any positive results?

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shampoo didn't keep it under control? And did you see any positive results?

I'm only using a ketaconzole shampoo twicea week, which doesn't exactly help with flaking haha. I'm trying to keep stuff away from my scalp basically. I'm sure with the right shampoo or whatever it's an easy fix.

And yes, I was only using it on my beard and after about a month and a half I experienced significant growth on my crown and temples. I've been using it on my scalp now 2x a day since the 23rd of November and I already see a hairline starting. I made a topic on this and posted pictures, for some strange reason people think I'm lying.

Perhaps I'm just a good candidate for minoxidil. I really have no idea. But I have a theory or two.

You can literally ask me anything, and I will explain in detail to my most honest ability. Regimen questions etc. The only topic i tend to shy away from here is speaking on brands because I don't want people to think I'm pushing anything. (although I did post pictures of the minoxidil I used in the previous thread, but whatever)

Last edited: