Few Questions About Transplants - Any Answers Appreciated

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always thought transplants would never be an option but as things get worse I am realizing they are really the only way I could possibly get my hair back to what I want, without going the wig route. So I have a few questions on whether they're really feasible for me. Most of my hair loss is at my hairline, but also have some diffuse thinning all over. I am still losing hair on finasteride, although slower than before (maybe?). Is it even possible to get a transplant if hair loss isn't stabilized? Also I cannot stand my head shape, and don't like the idea of walking around with a shaved head. Do all transplant doctors require shaving the head? Lastly, how long do those nasty sores on your head last post-op, and how easy is it to tell that someone had a transplant. Is it really manageable to get one when you have a full-time job and meet with clients regularly? I cannot have sores on my head, would look unprofessional and terrifying.

dr dhananjay

My Regimen
Reaction score
its good to hear that you are considering hair transplant as a viable option for your hair loss & you want to come out and live free of wigs which are very positive. Congrats. Also, you are not resistant to take medications which is a good sign. Because, after hair transplant, medications are compulsory to save hairs - transplanted as well as native. As a surgeon, I would be happily answering your questions. So, here we go:
1. Please go with hair transplant when you find your hair loss is stabilized and not progressing anymore. It is very important as, some of my young & repeat patients, who did hair transplant in early age & lost the native hairs which were destined to lose as progressing baldness. So, don't be in hurry. Just wait for it.
2. Yes, it is possible, but not advisable. Short hairs give you good results. Also, short hairs give ease work to the surgeon and help him to distribute grafts according to the desired density.
3. Generally, after hair transplant, healing takes 4-5 days in case of FUE hair transplant and more days in FUT hair transplant.
4. Hair transplant is common nowadays and does not need to hide from others. My patients generally go to the office with it within 4-5 days. Eventually, everyone is going to notice your transplant. So, why to hide or feel about it. Don't worry, It's about your personality & not for one's sake.
5. Yes, Hair transplant is very manageable and you can carry your daily activities after taking care of few precautions.
6. Your last point is very important. It is very important for you to choose correct hair transplant clinic & surgeon for successful hair transplant which will give you personality back. Here my blog on it: Do & don't while choosing hair transplant clinic

Let me know for anything else. I will be happy to help you out!