Feelings of disconnection

Deaner

Reaction score
Lately I feel intensely disconnected from my life, like a passenger inside my body. The things in my life that I'm not proud of haunt me on a regular basis, and the things that I like about my life feel undeserved. I don't understand why I feel this way, and I can't wait for it to change. Hairloss isn't that big of an issue when you feel like you're not even living your life. I want to feel plugged back into being me again, that's all I want right now.

You guys ever felt like this? I just feel out of touch with life right now. What'd you do to fix it? I just wanna feel "normal" again.

marsbtchsx

Established Member
Reaction score
i feel like that but i feel depressed cause of hairloss.... if i could get that fixed i wouldnt be depressed anymore....unless u can pin point a problem directly associated with ur mood i suggest you see someone about that

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey deaner - how are you man?

I know excactly what you're talking about - I have been going through that several times - starting after I discovered my hair thinning. It's very easy to get sucked into it and forget about the things that make life worth living. However, what has brought me back all the times is me focusing on the things I love to do. If you have any hobbies, or if you really like your job, then focus on that as much as possible and try to get some experiences of success out of that. Hope that helps.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Deaner you are most likely depressed, go see your doctor as soon as possible.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Deaner said:
Lately I feel intensely disconnected from my life, like a passenger inside my body. The things in my life that I'm not proud of haunt me on a regular basis, and the things that I like about my life feel undeserved. I don't understand why I feel this way, and I can't wait for it to change. Hairloss isn't that big of an issue when you feel like you're not even living your life. I want to feel plugged back into being me again, that's all I want right now.

You guys ever felt like this? I just feel out of touch with life right now. What'd you do to fix it? I just wanna feel "normal" again.

Deaner, I think that you sum it up when you state that "Hairloss isn't that big of an issue when you feel like you're not even living your life. I want to feel plugged back into being me again, that's all I want right now."

I think that too many of us here perhaps, only hope that if our hair returns then our self-esteem, pride etc. will to. This is totally false or at least from my perspective. I hate to say it Deaner, but your question is a typical fellow guy's response to this kind of a situation..."What do you do to fix it?" I guess that best way to "fix" the situation is to touch bases with the important people in your life. Ask them if they've noticed your sudden or gradual turn to a depressive way of looking at things. They will be able to tell you and will be fairly objective too. Also, don't forget to let your Doctor know about how you're feeling. Depression can kill. It's best to check this out instead of fooling yourself into the idea that you can "fix" this on your own.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good god, not so heavy people!! give the guy some breathing space!!

He's probably just a little depressed, it happens, its common.

No need to start searching your soul or evaluating you life or looking at you job/home/inner child.

Just go see your doctor, if it is serious things can be done, if its dysthymic go on holiday or go get drunk.

Depression is a common occurrence in many adults lives, often fleeting, sometimes not, if it is a persistent problem you need to address it and not ignore it, but don't start evaluating your whole life every time you feel a bit hollow / disconnected.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
Major Depression isn't diagnosed unless it is a distinct change from what is normal for you, lasts weeks (technically 6 or more), and involves a grouping of some of the following... crying, lack of interest in usual activities, guilt or worrying, suicidal thoughts, decreased energy, increased daytime sleeping or trouble sleeping thru the night, increased or decreased appetite... If your headed that way see a doctor... Some of the new meds are truely helpful. Also, take care to get enough rest, avoid alcolhol/drugs, and dont be too hard on yourself. Your new perspective (if depression) is a chemical glitch that can be shortened with treatment. Alternatives include frequent ongoing cognitive therapy (expensive) or waiting it out, 3 or more months. If you've had depression before you are more likely to have it a second time.

Melbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Mate... i had the worst month ive had in my life only a few weeks back... it can be like a snowball at times, the depressing feelings you have inside create more and more depressing feelings until your down so low you cant cope with much anymore. The biggest problem with this is it directly effects how you are percieved by people around you. Your then not the person you truly are and people will notice this and perhaps steer clear of you... again making the situation worse. All my family and friends noticed how different i was, it wasn't ME they were seeing and it was only because of what was going on in my head.

I made a decision one day as i looked in the mirror... and i said "f*** this... im going to be happy and appreciate all the good things around me and ignore my insecurities" Realistically there probably are more good things in your life than bad. Within a few days i was feeling much better and people started noticing the vibe i was putting out was right again. Nothing has changed as far as the bad things in my life a month ago, they're still there, but i am not letting it get to me and instead im snowballing in the opposite direction toward happiness. Give it a go... look in the mirror and say "f*** this, im going to be happy"

* Believe it or not, this is not a medically proven remedy... but it worked for me!

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
Melbs said:
* Believe it or not, this is not a medically proven remedy... but it worked for me!

Actually it is proven... Its called Cognitive Therapy. Buddhism takes the same positiion... That is, that if you control your thoughts and though patterns you can reshape your mood and experiences. It takes work, but cognitive therapy is as effective as medication : )

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Deaner said:

try to live in past sweet memories...think of the gal u once loved, got rejected or your first crush which u cant forget...

Nicholas

Reaction score
nicholas

Hey Deaner!
Try some running. It exceeds weight lifting when it comes to making one feel good IMO. Two times a week should suffice to increase physical condition and mood. It´s a bit hard to start doing it on a regular basis, but once you get there... Woha!

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Feeling like that now deaner , props for getting up and talking about it with otherss. Good luck on getting thru it.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
chewbaca said:
try to live in past sweet memories...think of the gal u once loved, got rejected or your first crush which u cant forget...

Sigh... Ok, now Im depressed. That doesn't work.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Two days ago I saw a German Shepherd humping a fat woman's leg. That was so funny it made life worth living for at least 26 more years.

Deaner

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great responses guys. I'm hearing that steer clear of alcohol and drugs thing, I was drunk/stoned for 3 out of the 4 last nights, and all it did was make me feel even more empty the following mornings. I definitely sleep all day, have way less energy than ever before, motivation is at an all time low, have no appetite, and constantly feel guilty or worthless.

The only thing keeping me regular is my beautiful girlfriend. When I spend time with her, I feel normal until we're apart again. I used to love the nightlife and partying and such, now it seems like a chore almost. I've noticed myself that I'm not as outgoing or personable, and I'm not as quick on my feet when it comes to witty comments and quick responses in social situations.

If it's depression and it'll go away with time, I can deal with it. Now that I'm finally getting happier with my hair, I can't seem to be happy with my life anymore. Funny how that happens. Again, thanks for your responses boys, much appreciated. Don't worry, I'm not gonna kill myself or anything, I'm just feelin' sedated and hollow and wish I could shake it and go back to being pumped on life.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Deaner
Try bright light therapy, a number of companies sell various kinds of light boxes. This therapy improves your seratonin levels which are lower in the winter especially. It worked for me. Now I take a positive attitude to problems. Don't look into the light directly, but the light should go into your eye from the side.
Boru

Deaner

Reaction score
One question related to the way I feel lately: Can quitting smoking (and subsequently through withdrawal and whatnot) cause these feelings of disconnection and depression?

G

When i quit smking i was very irritable and, yes, minorly depressed, but if youweren't depressed before quitting, this should go away w/in 3 days and you will physically feel much better

G

chewbaca said:
Deaner said:

Hmm...that will help.