Feel outcasted by family for being the first to go bald in generations.

Magma

Reaction score
Anyone else know this feeling? At least those who go bald with a strong family history of it kind of expected that it was coming and had some support to lean on from their other male family members who lost their hair. I don't have such a support, and feel as an outsider when cousins, uncles, and even granduncles comment along the lines of me being the first to catch this "unfortunate" condition for at least several generations and do so with looks of disgust. My parents are frightened that I'm losing hair, considering my own dad is Norwood 1 at age 50 and his dad (or my grandfather) is 78 or so and still going strong at Norwood 1.5 (if that). Same story for all the males on my mother's side and my maternal grandfather. I can sometimes see the disappointment in my parent's eyes, and the worse thing about it is it's something I could never control. That's the worst thing about this whole ordeal.

It's one thing to lose the great hair that once defined you and trying to overcome that which is hard enough, but also dealing with the subtle ridicule from my family for something they once always complimented me on is taking its toll, both mentally and psychologically. I'm only an Norwood 1.5-2 right now so it's not so bad and it's good that I've caught it early as I hope current medication is enough to maintain what I currently have.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone else know this feeling? At least those who go bald with a strong family history of it kind of expected that it was coming and had some support to lean on from their other male family members who lost their hair. I don't have such a support, and feel as an outsider when cousins, uncles, and even granduncles comment along the lines of me being the first to catch this "unfortunate" condition for at least several generations and do so with looks of disgust. My parents are frightened that I'm losing hair, considering my own dad is Norwood 1 at age 50 and his dad (or my grandfather) is 78 or so and still going strong at Norwood 1.5 (if that). Same story for all the males on my mother's side and my maternal grandfather. I can sometimes see the disappointment in my parent's eyes, and the worse thing about it is it's something I could never control. That's the worst thing about this whole ordeal.

It's one thing to lose the great hair that once defined you and trying to overcome that which is hard enough, but also dealing with the subtle ridicule from my family for something they once always complimented me on is taking its toll, both mentally and psychologically. I'm only an Norwood 1.5-2 right now so it's not so bad and it's good that I've caught it early as I hope current medication is enough to maintain what I currently have.

Yeah try finasteride and MINIX. You might take well if your history is good..... But I base that on nothing but good intentions and no scientific merit lol.
I'm in the opposite where my entire male side of the family I know is all bald yet somehow my brother is like norwood -8. So every time I see him it's like a smack in the face. Me and my half sister ( well both our half sister) think he may not be my pops and lucked out. That would be so awesome to me since he was my idiot pops favorite.

Try the minoxidil first and if that isn't working then maybe look at Finn. I had a bad experience though so my opinion to that is hesitant.

der29

Established Member
Reaction score

im surprised your family would notice a Norwood 1.5 (not even considered a mature hairline)...thats minor temple recession that could be easily covered up. are you thinning?

Magma

Reaction score
Yeah try finasteride and MINIX. You might take well if your history is good..... But I base that on nothing but good intentions and no scientific merit lol.
I'm in the opposite where my entire male side of the family I know is all bald yet somehow my brother is like norwood -8. So every time I see him it's like a smack in the face. Me and my half sister ( well both our half sister) think he may not be my pops and lucked out. That would be so awesome to me since he was my idiot pops favorite.

Try the minoxidil first and if that isn't working then maybe look at Finn. I had a bad experience though so my opinion to that is hesitant.

Yeah, definitely going to hop on something to maintain what I currently have. As for your brother, maybe he's just lucky lol. Or, more probably he's on some regiment right now that you aren't aware of and he wants to keep you in the dark about.

As for finasteride and minoxidil, can I expect any regrowth of my hairline or will it just maintain what I currently have?

- - - Updated - - -

im surprised your family would notice a Norwood 1.5 (not even considered a mature hairline)...thats minor temple recession that could be easily covered up. are you thinning?

Yes, I'm thinning as well. It would be almost impossible to hide it from my parents, and I guess they mentioned it passingly that I may be sick to my uncles and from there it eventually spread like wildfire.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely going to hop on something to maintain what I currently have. As for your brother, maybe he's just lucky lol.

Hes a lazy idiot who has never done anything for ANYONE else growing up and did nothing but leech from everyone.... YET if you pushed him off a building he would land *** first in a GIANT pile of money.

On the other hand I have worked worked worked and should I land in the same pile of money I would get nothing but papercuts, be sued by the owner for bloodying up his cash and then be arrested for attempted robbery where I would promptly be prison raped by the super thick haired mullet gang! (Well I guess it wouldnt be ALL bad)

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Hes a lazy idiot who has never done anything for ANYONE else growing up and did nothing but leech from everyone.... YET if you pushed him off a building he would land *** first in a GIANT pile of money.

On the other hand I have worked worked worked and should I land in the same pile of money I would get nothing but papercuts, be sued by the owner for bloodying up his cash and then be arrested for attempted robbery where I would promptly be prison raped by the super thick haired mullet gang! (Well I guess it wouldnt be ALL bad)

haha :D that is some funny ****.. At least you haven't lost your sense of humor.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
haha :D that is some funny ****.. At least you haven't lost your sense of humor.

Im going through something pretty bad right now. I havent told anyone not even my sis who called me last night. She asked about our brother and it turned into a discussion about how lucky he is for such a dumb ***..... mean while Im sitting here contemplating why this thing is hapening to me! If I dont have a sense of humor then it relegates me to burning THE WORLD, which if I had a large enough match I would.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Im going through something pretty bad right now. I havent told anyone not even my sis who called me last night. She asked about our brother and it turned into a discussion about how lucky he is for such a dumb ***..... mean while Im sitting here contemplating why this thing is hapening to me! If I dont have a sense of humor then it relegates me to burning THE WORLD, which if I had a large enough match I would.

Don't go postal over it! What happened? u back on finasteride?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Norwood .5 or 7.0 it's all relevant. Swing, whatever it is you are going thru I hope things soon change for the better. Keep smiling friend. Tomorrow only seems like forever, you will be alright.:) Thanx for sharing and all the best.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saved and worked for my hair transplant within the first week my body's immune system goes ape **** and I end up with awful folliculitus. My entire area where the hair transplant was done is covered in scabs, pus and pain because it trying to push out the hairs like crazy.
I drove all the way up to MA to the docs to have him look at it. He still thinks the grafts will be fine, told me he would fix whatever may have been damaged but really even he says this is a super rare thing that happens to like one in a million and just like finasteride sides that's me.
I do think he will fix anything that's messed up and I'm lucky my existing hair covers it but the frustration that anything I try fukzmeup so bad is killing me from the inside out.
He spent 30 mins popping pus heads on my temples this afternoon.
He said my donor area healed better than anyone he's seen but my immune system does not like the hairs and is trying hard to push them out.
My head looks like a greasy high school kids face, it's gross and painful.
I can only hope my money isn't flushed because all I can think about is getting rid of my guns right now.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Hi Swing, I would be a liar if I said I can relate to the depth of pain and helplessness you are experiencing. I have no doubt that your fears are very real and justifiable. If I had the power or authority to approve you for a 1+ week of vacation I would not hesitate. It is imperative to your overall health and healing that you focus on making "time off" your first priority even if this may cause your work status and/or working relations to be temporarily put on hold or slightly compromised. Actually your doctor should be willing to cooperate with this approach by providing your workplace with the necessary medical release papers. When your health is optimally restored you will be motivated to confront any new challenges with the energy and passion of a "renewed and restored" you. Take care of you first, you are worth the sacrifice(s)! My prayers are with you.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Swing, I would be a liar if I said I can relate to the depth of pain and helplessness you are experiencing. I have no doubt that your fears are very real and justifiable. If I had the power or authority to approve you for a 1+ week of vacation I would not hesitate. It is imperative to your overall health and healing that you focus on making "time off" your first priority even if this may cause your work status and/or working relations to be temporarily put on hold or slightly compromised. Actually your doctor should be willing to cooperate with this approach by providing your workplace with the necessary medical release papers. When your health is optimally restored you will be motivated to confront any new challenges with the energy and passion of a "renewed and restored" you. Take care of you first, you are worth the sacrifice(s)! My prayers are with you.

I was exaggerating with the gun comment.

Not with the severity of my pissyness but with the gun comments. I can only hope these hairs are not dead and still grow in. Its like everything I try just slaps me in the face and laughs.