Feel Like My Hair Is Thinning But Doesn’t Seem To Be In A Pattern...

London32

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 34 and under normal light it looks like a pretty good head of hair. Under certain light it looks thin and you can see scalp.

I was wondering about getting a transplant with a bit more hair on the crown to re-inforce what’s there.

I use Minoxidil, could this be diffuse thinning? I’ve noticed it a bit for a while but it’s not terrible. I’ve shown it under a spotlight in one of the pics.

Any advice appreciated. Also, have a random 10 cents size patch of what I believe is alopecia areata on the back of the head. It appears to be self-limiting and hasn’t really changed in about 4 years. Would this rule out a transplant?

Thanks

Attachments

• 7C369A60-FC7C-41AC-9CFA-D894DDFD174C.png
    7C369A60-FC7C-41AC-9CFA-D894DDFD174C.png
    316.6 KB · Views: 414
  • D64F6603-6545-4483-81F0-EA78DFE0AA4C.png
    D64F6603-6545-4483-81F0-EA78DFE0AA4C.png
    295.7 KB · Views: 395

London32

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take Minoxidil (5%). I don’t really fancy finastride (I am 34 years old). I would prefer a transplant as it isn’t actually that bad or noticeable usually, it looks worse right under a spotlight.

What treatment other than finastride is there?

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take Minoxidil (5%). I don’t really fancy finastride (I am 34 years old). I would prefer a transplant as it isn’t actually that bad or noticeable usually, it looks worse right under a spotlight.

What treatment other than finastride is there?

Unfortunately finasteride is the only current treatment that is effacious. Can’t really get a transplant without it unfortunately

London32

My Regimen
Reaction score
How bad would you say it is for 34?

I feel like I’ve done alright for my age but would like to keep it where it is.

Not averse to a transplant.

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes you have a pattern, it appears to be nw5-6. Diffusely. Your fukkd with a capital F especially without finasteride.

London32

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean “how are they”?

They’re fine apart from a small patch the size of a coin from alopecia areata which has stayed the same for the last 4 years on the back.

I like to keep the back and sides short.

Is having a head of hair at 34 really “fucked with a capital f”?

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean “how are they”?

They’re fine apart from a small patch the size of a coin from alopecia areata which has stayed the same for the last 4 years on the back.

I like to keep the back and sides short.

Is having a head of hair at 34 really “fucked with a capital f”?
Sorry didn't mean to sound critical. I didn't realize it's been that way for four year and thought it might be possibly progressing. You said you didn't want to do treatments which is really the only way for most to maintain for the long run....if it is areata it should grow back naturally and I hope it does for you....best of luck

London32

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, I would say the thinning on top of the head is normal male hair loss.

The small patch on the back of the head is alopecia areata, they’re two separate things.

The small areata patch is on the back of the head out of shot, you can’t see it in the picture.

The hair on top was thinning a bit even before that but as I mentioned, it isn’t that bad or noticeable unless right under light.

Because I haven’t receded I kind of thought I was okay and it was just normal thinning of hair with age, but then I read about diffuse thinning and it started to spook me.

I think I’ll book an appointment at the Belgravia Centre and get them to look at it. If I could keep what I have now, I’d be doing okay.

I’m not sure whether the small areata area would affect my ability to have a transplant as that as I understand it is the donor area. I’ve been put off finastride by the alleged sexual side effects, is that scare mongering?

Thanks for your input as this is a bit of an unusual case.

Also, would you really say that’s Norwood 5 or 6? Like I mentioned, you wouldn’t normally notice anything under normal lighting. As I understood it, Norwood 6 is severe balding.

Last edited:

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Correct it doesn't look bad at all but I you were pointing at the spots and those are rather deep spots as in the high Norwood rating. But over all density still looks really good and not anywhere anytime soon going to that class. I think your best bet is to get that consultation. I really do believe alot of the finasteride talk is scare mongering. Even if you did hop on finasteride you could start low, say .25 for ahwile and build yourself up Tina comfortable dosage with even less chance of sides which are already very minimal. Feel free to keep us update if you have any questions. Hope everything goes good for you man, I know how stressful the worrying can be.

London32

My Regimen
Reaction score
Uploaded what it looks like just normal styled and what the side of the hair looks like, not sure if that gives any indication of potential donor areas etc.

thanks for input

Attachments

• 2377A126-4885-4617-8CDB-E0E71A92FC6A.jpeg
    2377A126-4885-4617-8CDB-E0E71A92FC6A.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 235
  • CE71CA25-AB3D-42DB-B5E6-BBA0CA4A0C88.jpeg
    CE71CA25-AB3D-42DB-B5E6-BBA0CA4A0C88.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 223

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
front is still good. So no receding hairline but still balding nonetheless. Probably diffuse. I would go on treatment. Topical seems to be the best solution with a lesser chance on sides.

London32

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been using topical Minoxidil, is there anything else topical I can use in addition to that?

Can you get Topical Finasteride?

I’ve got an appointment tomorrow at the Belgravia Centre.

Thanks

Last edited:

London32

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I went to the Belgravia Centre and they recommended 1mg of finastride a day and minoxidil which I’m already using.

They said I still have the follicles (minus a few at the front) so am a good profile.

I’m a bit spooked by the sexual side effects, could anyone who has taken it answer a couple of questions:

Did you notice any side effects?

Did you get hair regrowth from the regimen?

Thanks

BMax

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical finasteride can be bought you can get it compounded with minoxidil so it can be an all in 1 solution for you, should help

I have been on it for some time with zero sides and hair is generally speaking good though i have also done a transplant.

Was on 1mg tablets before that and had sides.

Id go for 0.25% get it done professionally. Its worth trying at least before going on tablets imo and can always try a hybrid later on of say 1/4 tablet and topicals so your not getting as much through the system if topical alone doesnt work.

London32

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, do you know where I can find it?

It doesn’t seem to be readily available.

Were the sides bad?

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try topical finasteride tbh it will probably work quite well for u. If us tart treatment now u'll probably keep ur hair atleast another decade easily.

London32

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just ordered the pills as it’s diffuse thinning and I can just start to see the scalp under light which has kind of jolted me into being more proactive than just Minoxidil.

Do you know where you can get topical finastride? It doesn’t seem to be readily available in the UK.

Are the pill sides that bad?