Federer - Best ever!?

dimitar_berbagod

Established Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the Wimbledon final yesterday..?

There are some people now saying that Federer is the best sportsman (not only tennis player) ever.

I'm intrigued to know what everyone thinks on this. He did win his last 2 slams without having to play Nadal, who has got the better of him in their last 3 slam finals.

Incidentally, I was supporting Roddick and was absolutely gutted to see him lose. I imagine you guys in the US were backing Roddick as well...

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
I watched the final. It was an epic as expected. This game though highlighted that servers win the set. Was very predictable but the final set was even making me exhausted just watching them giving their all.

I was kind of supporting both. Federer to win so I can see Sampras' expression having his record broken. Roddick to win because he truly deserves it, and I felt his pain deeply when he lost, it must feel horrendous training so hard, playing exceptionally well and then losing merely by the thinnest of whiskers.

I hope he returns and if he plays the same final again I'll be rooting for him.

Nadal though will muddy the waters I suspect.

Prince V

Reaction score
I think over time people will consider Nadal and Federer to be the best two in history.

I would have said Federer is the greatest but because of his losses to Nadal in grand slam finals I just can't see a strong enough argument for it.

The most technically gifted, effortless and eye catchingly beautiful player yes, but he has to settle a rivalry with Rafa before he can be called the greatest ever in my book.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Greatest tennis player ever? Perhaps.

Greatest athlete ever? Not even close.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Federer is going to go in history as the best tennis player ever IMO.
His style is powerful, effortless...he rips in any playing surface..(grass, hard, dirt), mentally strong-can handle pressure like only the best can. He`s also the nicest guy on and off the court.

*comparing athletes from different disciplines to see who`s the greatest of all times is just absurd. For example how can one compare a boxer, a swimmer, a marathon runner and a tennis player?? ridiculous.... their sports are completely different...the specialization of the body of a marathon runner has nothing to do with the requirements a boxers physique must have.
The average span of the careers in their sports is very different as well.... the way in which their competitions and championships are organized is also very different... etc