FDA Approved HairMax Laserband 82 released today at CES. Thoughts?

JustAnotherNoob

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember in the past there was this guy who had tutorials on how to make a laser helmet and some people swore that it worked, some said it did not. Today at CES I heard that the Laserband 82 was released and it is FDA approved with clinical results on safety and efficacy. I have never heard of this before, nor have I seen any discussion about this product on any of the major hair-loss forums.

http://www.hairmax.com/product/laserband/

I have been taking ketoconazole shampoo for the past few years. I took minoxidil and had a ton of sides (Insane dandruff and flaking which nizoral did not help, and libido problems, yes -- from minoxidil and I tested it several times because I denied it was due to minoxidil too) and so I cut it out. I have not taken finasteride because of my bad experience with minoxidil, I just feel like i'll have the same effects from finasteride. I am a diffuse thinner with receded temples but I still have enough hair on my head that if I grow it 2-3 inches you cannot tell that I am balding other than the receding hairline. I am really considering buying this Laserband because it's only $795 (I want to get hair transplant, but i'm worried it may screw up future treatments like Histogen and Replicel), and they have a 5-month money back guarantee. If this can buy me a few years that is all I need... These are medical-grade lasers so i'm sure this is designed better than the makeshift laser helmets that people were making a few years ago. According to HairMax you only have to use it for 90 seconds every other day.

This is the third treatment for hair-loss that has been approved by the FDA, there has to be something good here right? Paging all male pattern baldness-experts.

Thanks.

EDIT:

FDA Cleared. Not approved. However, their spokesman claims it has been "Cleared for efficacy and safety".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0ZS6oJvoGc

bald7802

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this for real? I can't believe it's FDA approved! whatsoever, I hope so

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anything for a buck.

Johannes

Banned
Reaction score
5 month money back guarantee, and probably it takes at least 6 months until you see results according to them.

beaner

Reaction score
This is not FDA approved for hair growth. The FDA has only determined that it is safe to use but not necessarily effective. Hairmax has been touting this 'FDA Cleared' bull**** for years knowing that the average consumer wouldn't know the difference.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
This is not FDA approved for hair growth. The FDA has only determined that it is safe to use but not necessarily effective. Hairmax has been touting this 'FDA Cleared' bull**** for years knowing that the average consumer wouldn't know the difference.

Yep, same with the stupid Theradome as well.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep, same with the stupid Theradome as well.

Bro don't trigger Stevo

MpTpRGl.gif

JustAnotherNoob

Established Member
Reaction score
Anything for a buck.
Can you clarify? I actually specifically was waiting for a response from you :D. Based off of what you learned at the Hair Congress, and Dr Hoo Jin Joo's interview, what is your take on this? Can it help revitalize some of the early-miniaturizing follices in thinners?

Right, it does seem like it is FDA cleared. There does seem to be some "peer-reviewed studies" on their website, see below.

http://www.hairmax.com/downloads/PDF/CLINICAL_PAPER_4_STUDIES_HM_JAN2014.pdf

http://www.hairmax.com/clinical-research-results/fda-clearance/

In an interview, the spokeswoman said that it has been FDA approved for efficacy as well. Here is the youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0ZS6oJvoGc

5 month money back guarantee, and probably it takes at least 6 months until you see results according to them.

According to the spokesperson above, she claims that it takes 12-16 weeks to see results, hence the 5 month money back guarantee. I am willing to take a shot at this and post a log of my results as long as there is no catch to the money back guarantee. I will reach out to HairMax and see what their policy is.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you clarify? I actually specifically was waiting for a response from you :D. Based off of what you learned at the Hair Congress, and Dr Hoo Jin Joo's interview, what is your take on this? Can it help revitalize some of the early-miniaturizing follices in thinners?

In only a few words:

Lasers are a scam.

JustAnotherNoob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd still be curious to see someone buy this and do a 5-month log and keep or return it depending on if they see any results.

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In only a few words:

Lasers are a scam.

On their own the overall effectiveness is not spectacular. But i think it should be borne in mind that lasers of the correct wave length, have been shown to considerably reduce tissue fibrosis.

Fibrosis in male pattern baldness is in itself a significant barrier to follicle re-enlargement, so the right laser should boost the effects of other treatments, particularly in those with longer term male pattern baldness.

JustAnotherNoob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what thoughts are on the proven studies of LLLT on hairloss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23970445

CONCLUSION:

LLLT for hair growth in both men and women appears to be both safe and effective. The optimum wavelength, coherence and dosimetric parameters remain to be determined.

And here are the terms on their 5 month money-back guarantee. Basically, if you decided to return it you'd get all but $160 back, which makes it about $32/mo for the 5 months you were using it that goes out the drain. This seems pretty tempting because $800 to buy me another year or two is not a bad deal, considering i'm still in the somewhat early-stages of male pattern baldness.

Money Back Guarantee – 5 monthsWe guarantee your satisfaction. HairMax laser devices can be returned within 20 weeks (5 months) less a 20% restocking fee of the purchase price. This money back guarantee is effective from the date of delivery. You will be required to pay for the return shipping costs and the applicable restocking fee (stated above). Please note that only orders placed directly through Lexington International are eligible for the money back guarantee.Over 90% of our users do see noticeable benefits with continued HairMax use. Money back guarantee only valid for orders placed directly with Lexington International LLC. Shipping fees on orders placed and shipped are non-refundable.
We are pleased to offer the 3Pay Installment Plan as a payment option to give our customers the flexibility of paying over time. When this payment option is chosen and the customer wishes to return before all payments have been collected, the restocking fee is calculated on the entire purchase amount agreed upon at checkout and not the sum of payments collected. For 3Pay transactions, PayPal cannot be used as a payment method, the shipping address must be in the United States or Canada, and the use of gift or pre-paid credit cards are prohibited.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
On their own the overall effectiveness is not spectacular. But i think it should be borne in mind that lasers of the correct wave length, have been shown to considerably reduce tissue fibrosis.

Fibrosis in male pattern baldness is in itself a significant barrier to follicle re-enlargement, so the right laser should boost the effects of other treatments, particularly in those with longer term male pattern baldness.

Wounding brakes up fibrosis as well, so does a DMSO peel, it's not hard to stop fibrosis but if you're not on an AA or a PGD2 inhibitor then it will come back.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using a hairmax laser comb and probably not getting results. I do have starting photos, I'll post end photos in March or something.

It's actually a real hassle to use. You have to find 15 minutes every second day. It doesn't sound so bad in the abstract, but it gets boring real fast, even watching DVDs or netflix it's boring. If you're ever lazy about brushing your teeth, that takes about 60 seconds, this takes 15 minutes.