fathering children while on dutasteride?

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
Buffboy said:
Slartibartfast said:
...would I be correct in saying that the sexual development of a foetus occurs approx. 3 months after conception, thus making this the most crucial period for a mother-to-be to avoid contact with 5ar inhibitors?

Slarti

Could be. But if it's in your semen while making the girl pregnant, I think your kid is in trouble. Remember Dutasteride can stay as long as 4-6 months in the body.
For anyone who has been taking the standard dose that's certainly true. I was thinking more of how quickly a woman would metabolize the small volume of Dutasteride transmitted via the semen of a man on said drug.

Slarti

I don't know Slarti. All I know is that I consider it really selfish to take ANY changes when it comes to the well-being of your girl and unborn child. As long as the warning is out there, who are we to judge otherwise? My advice is: Get off the pill 6 months before you get her pregnant, and after that you can resume the treatment.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I agree that it would be supremely irresponsible to take such a risk.

But I'm still interested to know how long any trace of dutasteride absorbed via semen would persist in a woman.

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
i dont konw if this adds anything to the topic, but my girlfriend had a baby while i was on finasteride
and he is fit as a fiddle and very fat and happy

kiwi

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
I agree that it would be supremely irresponsible to take such a risk.

But I'm still interested to know how long any trace of dutasteride absorbed via semen would persist in a woman.

Please keep in mind that dutasteride has a long half-life, but ONLY at the standard doses that are taken (0.5 mg/day). When the doses start to decline from that level, the half-life starts to drop-off rapidly.

Don't worry about the trace amounts in semen. If the FDA doesn't even worry about it, why should YOU?

Bryan