falling out phase after transplant

jsmith19

Reaction score
I had a tranplant with armani last monday on the hairline, 2500 grafts. Are the transplanted hairs guarunteed to fall out before they regrow, or could some of them stay? Also, I need to go to classes for a few hours a day and that requres me to wear a hat. I know its says two weeks for a hat, but it doesnt hurt at all when i wear it and its only for a few hours a day. could this do seriuos damage to my results? thanks.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I've heard that loose-fitting caps are alright, but check with your doctor. If you do get a hat, maybe wear a beenie, that's extremely loose fitting and contours to your head.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
I've heard that loose-fitting caps are alright, but check with your doctor. If you do get a hat, maybe wear a beenie, that's extremely loose fitting and contours to your head.

All i wear is beanies but they would rather you wear a ball cap and not a beanie that is touching where the graphs are.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
jsmith19 said:
I had a tranplant with armani last monday on the hairline, 2500 grafts. Are the transplanted hairs guarunteed to fall out before they regrow, or could some of them stay? Also, I need to go to classes for a few hours a day and that requres me to wear a hat. I know its says two weeks for a hat, but it doesnt hurt at all when i wear it and its only for a few hours a day. could this do seriuos damage to my results? thanks.

how did it go? I just had mine done with him on the 16th.

I can finally take a shower now, im hoping the scabs fall off soon.

G

Guys,

If possible, try to use a "loose fit" bandana. Then there's very little to no pressure against any sutures or grafts. It can be easier to manage than a cap with a rim. Use what works best for you.

You will never know how many of the implanted grafts will remain in anagen (growth) phase and continue to grow. Only time will tell. Most of the transplanted follicules enter telogen (resting) phase a short time after the procedure due to the trauma of the procedure. That is when you lose the hair stubble inside the graft. When that falls out, you know that follicule supporting that fallen out hair went into its resting phase. It will remain in telogen for approximately three to four months before it re-enters anagen again. Catagen (shedding) is of course when the old hair is pushed out of the scalp from a new hair growing beneath it.

You will notice tiny stubbles of hair in some of the crusts that fall off and this is normal. If a crust falls off but the stubble of hair does not, generally speaking that's an indication that follicule remained in anagen. Eventually, all of the transplanted follicules will resume the fulfillment of their respective growth cycles. Just think what it will be like when new terminal hair starts popping through all over! :hairy:

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
Guys,

If possible, try to use a "loose fit" bandana. Then there's very little to no pressure against any sutures or grafts. It can be easier to manage than a cap with a rim. Use what works best for you.

You will never know how many of the implanted grafts will remain in anagen (growth) phase and continue to grow. Only time will tell. Most of the transplanted follicules enter telogen (resting) phase a short time after the procedure due to the trauma of the procedure. That is when you lose the hair stubble inside the graft. When that falls out, you know that follicule supporting that fallen out hair went into its resting phase. It will remain in telogen for approximately three to four months before it re-enters anagen again. Catagen (shedding) is of course when the old hair is pushed out of the scalp from a new hair growing beneath it.

You will notice tiny stubbles of hair in some of the crusts that fall off and this is normal. If a crust falls off but the stubble of hair does not, generally speaking that's an indication that follicule remained in anagen. Eventually, all of the transplanted follicules will resume the fulfillment of their respective growth cycles. Just think what it will be like when new terminal hair starts popping through all over! :hairy:

So if i have stubble after these scabs fall out they will continue to grow?

G

You bet they will continue to grow but remember, these transplanted follicules move between their phases at different intervals so there is no way of predicting how long they will remain in anagen post-op. Even a stubble that continues to grow might go into telogen next week, next month, who knows. :roll:

The phase variances in cycling is exactly why most competent hair transplant docs will advise their patients to give their procedures at least 12-14 months post-op to really reach the fully matured result. They know by that time that lots of cycling has occured and those follicules that went into telogen are now in their anagen phase and on average should have three to six inches of new growth from the transplanted hair.

You would be amazed at the e-mails and calls I'll get at times and the patients may be in their sixth and even nine months post-op. They will often e-mail me their pics and ask "is this it?' I always tell them to give any procedure fourteen months post-op to fairly evaluate it. It can take as long as fourteen months or so to not only have the transplants grow in but to ALSO regain caliper of the hair cylinders.

Caliper or what some docs refer to as the level of hair coarseness is the single most attributable factor in attaining coverage of the scalp. I used to think it was the level of density and yes density is a factor, but IMO not as important as hair caliper.

jsmith19

Reaction score
What if I use a loose-fit, knit cap? I have tried it already and there was little pressure and really no irritation at all.

G

That will be fine to be honest! 3/4 days post op theres not much you can to to damage the grafts

G

At this point it's ten days post-op so the crusts should be falling off.

billiboy

Reaction score
Shockloss/falling out

I had 6450 grafts 8 days ago by H&W and I had a fair amount of fine, blond hair (NW2-3) so I'm hoping for great result. Scabs and crust started to come off yesterday. Some stubble came out, but most did not. MY understanding is that all the hair transplant hairs will fall out at 2 to 4 weeks and I might also have termporary shockloss.

This seems to differ from Gillenators answer that the hairs that don't fall out with scabs will not go inot log term resting phase. I'd love to hear your comments on this as well as the prospect for shockloss given that the grafts were made in areas where I lots of hair for the most part.

Thanks

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Transplants seldom work, you are wasting your money. The good news stories are few and far between. Mostly, clients end up scarred both mentally and physically. Doctors and even dentists and unqualified con merchants who can't make it as good medics are scamming vulnerable patients with more money than sense. Sorry for the bad vibe, but this is absolutely as big a scam as wigs with superglue. Stop advertising these charlatan doctors you idiots!!!!!
Truly Boru

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Re: Shockloss/falling out

billiboy said:
I had 6450 grafts 8 days ago by H&W and I had a fair amount of fine, blond hair (NW2-3) so I'm hoping for great result.

Holy crap! I've never heard of that many grafts being placed in an entire session! H & W does some extremely good megasessions, and in my honest opinion are the best hair transplant surgeons in the world.

Billiboy, are you creating a journal for your hair transplant (http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/) or a blog to keep track of your progress. Please tell us you have pictures. This is something that I have to see.

Thanks

G

Billiboy,

Please allow me to clarify. Try to distinguish between the "transplanted hair" left in the grafts and the "natural hair" in the recipient area that can be shocked out. These are two different issues altogethor.

So it is the "natural hair" that can be lost to shock and on average occurs two to three weeks post-op.

The hair stubble within the transplated graft "may" or "may not" go into telogen right away post-op. Some grafts take right off and continue to grow in their anagen growth stage post-op but most of the stubbles are lost when the crusts fall off because a majority of them do go into telogen post-op. Can this vary somewhat patient-to-patient? Of course.

But hey Billiboy, CONGRATS on choosing some very fine doctors. It's nice to know there are indeed enough talented hair transplant surgeons around. HAPPY GROWTH! :hairy:

billiboy

Reaction score
Shockloss/falling out/pictures

Aplunk

I have some before pictures and will take a few along the way. Right now, it is ugly and I don't want to break my camera. The wait is the absolute worst part of hair transplant.

Gil - thanks for clarification. I'm at 22 days now. My top was shaved for hair transplant and I used to have long hair so I can't tell anything for sure. That said, it appears that virtually all of my preexsitng hair will not go into shockloss, but virtually all of the transplanted hairs will. One thing I had not realized is how dark my hair is when really short. When long it turns super blond from sun, swimming, etc. Also, I am avoding the sun to avoid hurting grafts.

G

BB,

I know what you mean about "the wait" on the regrowth. It will come sooner than you think. BTW, I am glad you have not noticed shockloss and as I mentioned in my prior post, it usually happens three to four weeks post-op. A very small percentage of hair transplant patients with existing hair have unnoticable shockloss so I truly hope you are one of them! :)

Also glad to hear you are being wise and protecting your transplanted follicules from the sun. You want the best yield possible. :hairy: