Facial Fibrosis Alopecia & Pattern Hair loss: Association with facial care products

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TAKE-HOME MESSAGE

Recent studies have reported an association between facial care products and frontal fibrosing alopecia (FFA). To further investigate this association, the authors sent a survey to 50 FFA patients, 100 pattern hair loss (PHL) patients, and 100 normal controls, inquiring about their use of facial care products and their hair care practices. The age of onset of hair loss was significantly higher in the FFA group than in the PHL group (52.74 years vs 36.31 years, P < .001). The use of facial moisturizer was significantly higher in the FFA group than in normal controls (78% vs 40%, P < .001). Subjects in the FFA and PHL groups reported more frequent use of both sunscreen and moisturizer compared with healthy controls (P < .001). There was no statistically significant difference in hair product practices between the groups.

The use of facial care products was higher in both FFA and PHL patients, suggesting that their increased use may be related to appearance-related issues more than to the mechanism behind the development of FFA.
– Katherine M. Stiff, MD

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
do they say which facial care products?

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sunscreen protects your skin from black spots, skin damage, wrinkles, etc.
Moisturizers is for dry skin.
Hair loss is caused by miniaturization of hairs through primarily DHT sensitivities.
You’re grasping at straws.

Johnson40

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sunscreen protects your skin from black spots, skin damage, wrinkles, etc.
Moisturizers is for dry skin.
Hair loss is caused by miniaturization of hairs through primarily DHT sensitivities.
You’re grasping at straws.
Miniaturization is caused by DHT not hair loss.
There are other conditions that can cause hair loss.