F***ed up hairline since start of puberty.

Frosteez

Reaction score
First of all, I know I need to post pics but I currently can't. I will post as soon as I can.

I'm currently 17 year old (almost 18) male. I've always had my hair cut short since I was a child, but last year I decided to grow it out. Before I did though, my mom gave me some medical shampoo that helps against thin hair. My hair was (and is) extremely thin. The shampoo definitely helped as I could finally grow my hair out and everything was well. I've had that hair for maybe 7 months. During the summer of that year I noticed that I couldn't style my hair that way I used to like. The left and right side of my FRONTAL hairline were getting thin. Yes, no temple recession (even now). I never really paid much attention as I could always style some other cool way. I THINK I stopped using that shampoo after I noticed the thinning as the bottle finished and I was too lazy to get another one. I also lost a lot of weight during the year. Probably 15 kilos in 2 months or something like that.

School started and it had become way much harder to stylize. Someone even commented that I was balding! During this same time, I had gained lots of zits so I decided to tell my father to make me an appointment with a derm. I didn't actually care about the zits, I was just using it as an excuse to diagnose my hair. At first I was too embarrassed to talk to him about my hairloss because he was my dad's friend, so I just told him about the zits and the dandruff that I have. He gave me some pills for the zits and nizoral 2% for the dandruff. Before I left, I mustered my courage and spoke up about the hairloss. Ehh it was pretty anti-climatic as he just glanced over it from 3 feet away and said I have early male pattern baldness.

I became extremely depressed and self-conscious about my hair. I would always look at a mirror or reflection of myself too see if my hair was stylized in a way that would hide my thinning or not. I became tired of checking a lot so I just increased my usage of hoodies. My hair was also slowly going back to its normal thin state. To make it worst, I don't know how but hair just suddenly appeared on my forehead where it never was. The hair that appeared formed a small v-shape. This part was extremely weak and thin. You can see my forehead under from anywhere you can see me. It would ruin my styling and and it was just hard to maintain, so I just shaved it off (Probably the worst thing I've ever done to my body). My frontal hairline finally was back to where it looked like. Still some thinning but extremely manageable. Oh and my hair has been becoming thinner and thinner as time goes by. The thinning included all my hair. My moustache was starting to grow unequally, beard becoming much less thick after every shave, and even the two sides of my head hair experienced this thinning.

I started to look up old pics of me. OMG I was shocked. My 14 year old self had EXTREMELY thin hair and a f***ed up hairline. Like it was receding on one side while the other was full. I tried measuring my where my 14 year old hairline (if you can call it that anymore lmao) was from my eyebrows and wrinkles. I couldn't find a good reference point, but I did notice that even though my hairline is high, my forehead wrinkles are extremely low and close to my eyebrows and temples. Yeah, I know. Random fact'n'all, but I just want to see if it's normal. everyone in school had forehead wrinkles covering their whole forehead and were relatively close to their hairline. I was only the exception.

So, to summarize:

Thinning all over my head, f***ed up frontal hairline with weird v-shaped hairline growing on my forehead, no temple recession (Hopefully it remains that way). Will post pics as soon as I can.

Oh I forgot soem questions:
1- For privacy reasons, is there a way to delete this thread later? I need to know before I post pics.
2- Will hair regrown by minoxidil remain with only finasteride? Is it okay to drop mino after the desired regrowth and remain on finasteride only?

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Yeah don't worry about anybody identifying you. Just use a photo editor and black out your face and no one will know who you are. Pics would definitely be helpful to see what you are describing.

As far as your derms response to your inquiry about your hair. It has happened to me too and I am sure to many others. Way too many doctors down play our concerns with our hair loss. It's BS. Obviously it is a big deal to us if we are bringing it up and should be taken seriously.

doublebatman

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah don't worry about anybody identifying you. Just use a photo editor and black out your face and no one will know who you are. Pics would definitely be helpful to see what you are describing.

As far as your derms response to your inquiry about your hair. It has happened to me too and I am sure to many others. Way too many doctors down play our concerns with our hair loss. It's BS. Obviously it is a big deal to us if we are bringing it up and should be taken seriously.

Before I discovered sites like this and hlh I went to my GP (who was nw6) he said I was balding and it's "just part of life". He eventually referred me to a derm( who was slick bald) who basically said exactly the same. You'd think fellow baldies would be more sympathetic, if anything I think they like company.

I think that might be part if the reason why the early Balders here (nw1) get such abuse when they are concerned about hair loss (Envy as well)

Frosteez

Reaction score
Finally got some pics (Sorry for the blurry quality, Only had my phone)

Frontal hairline (14 years old): http://i.imgur.com/iAW7Trp.jpg

Frontal hairline (Last September): http://i.imgur.com/gTcYoNW.jpg

Frontal hairline close up (Now): http://i.imgur.com/NVtMgxs.jpg?2

Frontal hairline from further away (Now): http://i.imgur.com/C8QmRg6.jpg

Left temple (Now): http://i.imgur.com/Af61ogD.jpg?1

Right temple (Now): http://i.imgur.com/HJ1XIpb.jpg?2

I might have mixed the temples up (My phone inverts the pictures).

You can clearly see the new hair on my forehead that I shaved, and my temples haven't changed since puberty (I think it got better lol)

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Very strange.

Your temples are strong and intact, the rest of your hair looks thick minus the front part. Bouncing from last september to today's hairline it does look like you did a reversal instead of going back its moving forward in a v-shape. Always looked like you had a semi crooked hairline from your 14 year old picture. I would reschedule with a BETTER dermatologist or maybe even your GP.

Hopefully you get this sorted out.

Frosteez

Reaction score
Very strange.

Your temples are strong and intact, the rest of your hair looks thick minus the front part. Bouncing from last september to today's hairline it does look like you did a reversal instead of going back its moving forward in a v-shape. Always looked like you had a semi crooked hairline from your 14 year old picture. I would reschedule with a BETTER dermatologist or maybe even your GP.

Hopefully you get this sorted out.

Thanks.

Scheduling an appointment is not going to be easy for me. My dad keeps telling me I'm fine and that I shouldn't worry. I'll need to wait until summer.

I guess I should post my family history:

Father: thick mature mature hairline in his 20s, started thinning in his 40s. Still has his mature hairline and his balding seems to have stopped.
Grandfather (Father's side): Started balding in his 40s or 50s. My father is the one who told me and he doesn't remember exactly. Probably NW3 when he passed away.
Grandfather (Mother's side): He passed away before I was born, but from pictures I think he only had a mature hairline.
Uncles (Father side): I honestly don't know lol
Uncles (Mother side): Two in their 40s. One is NW1 with gray hair. The other is also NW1, but is thinning. The third uncle is pretty young compared to them. He's also NW1.
Cousins: I'm the second oldest male out of my cousins in my Mother's side, and they're all not balding. I haven't met all my cousins from my father's side, but the ones I did meet have nice thick NW1 hair.

I already accepted the fact that I'll thin/bald one day (Pretty common in old people where I live, actually), but not this young lol. Oh and my hair is definitely not thick. I'll post some crown and scalp pics later hopefully.

Last edited:

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks you shouldn't really wait because whatever is happening to your hair isn't waiting. If anything try to monitor it see if it progresses forward more or fills out or any other changes in your hair. If anything you could always get laser hair removal to make it return to your original hairline.

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks.

Scheduling an appointment is not going to be easy for me. My dad keeps telling me I'm fine and that I shouldn't worry. I'll need to wait until summer.

k im sorry, going to sound rude probably but **** that lol

my dad did the same **** to me, my NW7 dad convinced me that its just a normal part of getting older. well now that im older and a NW5 at 22 i have to tell you it is not normal, idc what the stats say when i go out the vast majority of men i see do not have anywhere near the level of balding my future holds (NW7 if i dont treat it).

idc what you gotta do buddy but dont let up if your hair is important to you... which im assuming it is because you're on a hair loss support forum. just keep pressing the issue til something gets done about it, and by something i mean getting on the big 3. dont waste your time with anything else

Frosteez

Reaction score
^

Yeah, I know. However, this isn't your average balding pattern. I don't want to risk using finasteride if I don't need it. I noticed my hairline in October, and it hasn't really changed since then.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I'm VERY hairy. I can grow a moustache (It will look weird since it grows unequally as of late), I can grow a beard (I need a lot of time, though), and practically my whole body is covered in hair. I'm mentioning this because I heard hairy people are good responders to finasteride. Is this true? I also heard they are less likely to experience sides.

And about the laser thing: I don't want to use laser, because I might need those hairs when I eventually get a hair transplant.

Oh and can someone please answer my second question in the OP? It's this: Will hair regrown by minoxidil remain with only finasteride? Is it okay to drop mino after the desired regrowth and remain on finasteride only?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Will hair regrown by minoxidil remain with only finasteride? Is it okay to drop mino after the desired regrowth and remain on finasteride only?

No. Hair regrown by Minoxidil will not maintain with only Finasteride. Quitting the use of Minoxidil after desired regrowth will lead to a shed, even while remaining on Finasteride. Both Finasteride and Minoxidil are different medications and work in different mechanisms.

steveo1218

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil hair only remains as long as you take minoxidil - but it will also strengthen your current hair follicles ... Why are you worried about finasteride ? 1mg a day is such a small dose and very safe FDA approved drug .

Frosteez

Reaction score
minoxidil hair only remains as long as you take minoxidil - but it will also strengthen your current hair follicles ... Why are you worried about finasteride ? 1mg a day is such a small dose and very safe FDA approved drug .

I'm not worried about finasteride. Quite the contrary, actually. I prefer if I just use finasteride and not minoxidil if I ever experience some actual hairloss.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with my hairline? Is it normal to not recede at the temples?

Frosteez

Reaction score
UPDATE:

[Link Deleted]

Ok it's somewhat better now? I honestly don't know. Temples and crown are still the same, V-shaped hair still there, but somewhat reduced on the sides. The dark spots on my forehead are the shadow from shaving haha. I don't know what's up with my hairline tbh and I really don't have the time to visit a (better) derm any time soon (Because of midterms and projects). Like, I just want some temple recession so I can at least have an excuse to use finasteride. The only thing I have been using since my September 2014 pic is nizoral. So you can say I've been on nizoral for a year. Is this even related to male pattern baldness? I don't even know.

Last edited: