F*ck finasteride fearmongerers - you mean bastards

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
F*ck these assholes

I was NW1 just 4 years ago, scared of getting on finasteride because of what I had read on the internet.

If it wasn’t for these finasteride haters, I would still have a full head of hair. Scared of becoming full shiny nw7 bald, I started and guess what, finasteride actually makes me horny.

So yeah just had to say this, a gigantic fick you to finasteride fearmongerers.

I am sure I am not alone. Many people must have been scared of sides and became deformed baldies rather than even trying finasteride

DyingOfTheLight

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
An initial boost in libido is normal, since inhibiting the conversion of DHT results in more serum testosterone

That doesn't change the fact that by modern medical standards finasteride is a stone age treatment

5alpha–reductases are enzymes found in different tissues all throughout the body. Inhibiting it doesn't only block the synthesis of hormones, but also a host of very important neurosteroids. ( Those enhance and mediate GABAergic neurotransmissions, and consequently have a strong anticonvulsant and mood-stabilizing effect, apart from their effects on cognition). Simply put, it's killing an ant with a sledgehammer. Or rather with a nuke

( To such an extent that there are actual cases of it exacerbating temporal lobe epilepsy)

Now, if you don't think that will have detrimental consequences on your brain health in the long run you live in cuckoo land my friend. That's not scaremongering, only science.

I understand making the sacrifice for the sake of hair, but don't sh*t on the science

Last edited:

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
An initial boost in libido is normal, since inhibiting the conversion of DHT results in more serum testosterone

That doesn't change the fact that by modern medical standards finasteride is a stone age treatment

5alpha–reductases are enzymes found in different tissues all throughout the body. Inhibiting it doesn't only block the synthesis of hormones, but also a host of very important neurosteroids. ( Those enhance and mediate GABAergic neurotransmissions, and consequently have a strong anticonvulsant and mood-stabilizing effect, apart from their effects on cognition). Simply put, it's killing an ant with a sledgehammer. Or rather with a nuke

( To such an extent that there are actual cases of it exacerbating temporal lobe epilepsy)

Now, if you don't think that will have detrimental consequences on your brain health in the long run you live in cuckoo land my friend. That's not scaremongering, only science.

I understand making the sacrifice for the sake of hair, but don't sh*t on the science

If you make a claim, you have to prove it. Show me a study where they show inhibiting some percentage of DHT causes brain damage. Keep in mind finasteride only blocks like 70%+- and not a full 100% blockage.

On the other hand, minoxidil is way more toxic. It is abandoned for heart conditions in favour of more safer alternatives, in rats it caused lesions and damage to heart, kidneys and other organs. It is simply a toxic drug but there’s no fearmongering associated with it so guess what, you get idiots who are taking the topical formulation orally which has not just min but ethanol, PEG etc. They don’t even think twice about it whereas with finasteride, there’s so much BS spread that nobody even dares touches it.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
F*ck these assholes

I was NW1 just 4 years ago, scared of getting on finasteride because of what I had read on the internet.

If it wasn’t for these finasteride haters, I would still have a full head of hair. Scared of becoming full shiny nw7 bald, I started and guess what, finasteride actually makes me horny.

I am sure I am not alone. Many people must have been scared of sides and became deformed baldies rather than even trying finasteride
Typical NPC. Blaming others for his own decisions.

DyingOfTheLight

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you make a claim, you have to prove it. Show me a study where they show inhibiting some percentage of DHT causes brain damage. Keep in mind finasteride only blocks like 70%+- and not a full 100% blockage.

On the other hand, minoxidil is way more toxic. It is abandoned for heart conditions in favour of more safer alternatives, in rats it caused lesions and damage to heart, kidneys and other organs. It is simply a toxic drug but there’s no fearmongering associated with it so guess what, you get idiots who are taking the topical formulation orally which has not just min but ethanol, PEG etc. They don’t even think twice about it whereas with finasteride, there’s so much BS spread that nobody even dares touches it.

Minoxidil is also a horrible drug. The difference between oral and topical is negligible however. Since about 2.4 to 5 mg goes systemic ED when you apply it topically ( which, ironically is more than many oral dosages). Many people also apply it twice a day. Taking it orally is a matter of convenience, and sometimes necessity, since it bypasses enzymatic conversion in the scalp. The trace amounts of PEG are also irrelevant compared to recommended daily intake.

The biggest problem with minoxidil long-term however is that it can cause LV hypertophy. Which is bad news. Ideally, you'd get your heart checked every few years.

( Keep in mind though that OM is frequently prescribed in the East as hairloss medication, especially in Japan. So it isn't simply some obscure, retarded internet thing, it is supported by data and has a decent safety profile)

Ultimately it comes down to picking your poison. Both are toxic so what area of your health are you willing to compromise: your brain/manhood or your heart

I tried finasteride initially, but since I have a very intellectually demanding job, I noticed deficits in my mental performance almost immediately. Really can't take the gamble in risking my performance and career. Others will have horrible palpitations on a slight dose of topical minoxidil, and for them the choice is also clear. It's a very individual decision, so I'm not shitting on finasteride in particular tbh, simply stating that from a scientific perspective, caution is warranted

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's a recent study about ALS;

Dihydrotestosterone in Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis—The missing link?

Conclusions:

DHT is probably integral to survival of motor neurons. In patients predisposed to develop ALS, there is possibly a sort of “testosterone resistance” at level of blood–brain barrier [BBB] existing right from birth and is likely the result of dysfunctional transport protein involved in testosterone transfer across the BBB. In these patients, lesser amount of testosterone is able to breach the BBB and enter the central neural axis. Lesser amount of testosterone is available to 5 α reductase in the anterior pituitary to be converted to DHT and lesser amount of DHT is generated. There is inadequate negative feedback suppression of LH at the level of anterior pituitary by DHT. As a result of higher LH levels, testosterone levels rise in the peripheral testosterone fraction [the fraction outside the BBB] and this explains the various physical attributes of ALS patients like lower Ratio of the index and ring finger lengths (2D:4D ratio), increased incidence of early onset alopecia etc. This deficiency of DHT leads to motor neuron death causing ALS.

Inhibiting various neuro steroids due to 5ar inhibition isn't smart, especially long term.

From that article itself

As mentioned above, patients with 5 alpha-reductase type 2 deficiency have high circulating LH levels, normal or elevated serum levels of testosterone and reduced serum DHT levels. However, these patients do not have an increased risk of ALS

So A) Type 1 is more important than type 2 and we know finasteride only inhibits type 2.

B) What this study shows is test doesn’t cross the BBB in some people and they are bound to have less levels which leads to ALS anyway. In normal people, more serum test would mean they get more free test in their brains too and if finateride doesn’t cross BBB ( which very few drugs do ) then the more test in brain would mean more DHT since that article says neurons produce the reductase enzyme locally too.

C) If finasteride doesn’t cross BBB then that means your DHT levels actually increase in brain due to local enzyme production and increased free test in serum which will cross over to the brain. This means finasteride might actually be a good thing for ALS since it increases free test and so more of it crosses to the brain.

D) ALS is a long term condition, with finasteride even if the enzyme is suppressed in brain, the levels of finasteride reduce quickly and enzymatic action will resume in normal people. Good thing you can take finasteride EOD with reduced dosages which would further make this irrelevant. What that article is talking about is a pathology where the brain is starved of free test due to a malfunction always, it’s not due to some drug that’s temporarily in body.

I am going to find out if finasteride crosses the blood brain barrier but the good thing is type 1 enzyme is more important and finasteride doesn’t cause that much suppression anyway for all this to be clinically relevant. Indeed, this must be the case because many people use it for decades without any noticeable side effects

Last edited:

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil is also a horrible drug. The difference between oral and topical is negligible however. Since about 2.4 to 5 mg goes systemic ED when you apply it topically ( which, ironically is more than many oral dosages). Many people also apply it twice a day. Taking it orally is a matter of convenience, and sometimes necessity, since it bypasses enzymatic conversion in the scalp. The trace amounts of PEG are also irrelevant compared to recommended daily intake.

The biggest problem with minoxidil long-term however is that it can cause LV hypertophy. Which is bad news. Ideally, you'd get your heart checked every few years.

( Keep in mind though that OM is frequently prescribed in the East as hairloss medication, especially in Japan. So it isn't simply some obscure, retarded internet thing, it is supported by data and has a decent safety profile)

Ultimately it comes down to picking your poison. Both are toxic so what area of your health are you willing to compromise: your brain/manhood or your heart

I tried finasteride initially, but since I have a very intellectually demanding job, I noticed deficits in my mental performance almost immediately. Really can't take the gamble in risking my performance and career. Others will have horrible palpitations on a slight dose of topical minoxidil, and for them the choice is also clear. It's a very individual decision, so I'm not shitting on finasteride in particular tbh, simply stating that from a scientific perspective, caution is warranted

finasteride causes no danger to manhood. We consume anti-DHT food daily and slight suppression doesn’t mean any damage. It is also temporary. finasteride itself isn’t toxic and the sides are due to inhibition of an enzyme that your body produces and will produce forever.

I find minoxidil more dangerous, the heart damage it causes is irreversible.

Yet do you see how there is so much fear associated with finasteride and little knowledge about minoxidil. That’s how much fearmongering that’s been done about finasteride.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
F*ck these assholes

Finasteride or dutasteride dont even work to stop hairloss. So stop crying. You need hrt to fully stop it these other treatments just slows it down.