Extracting finasteride from tablets to make topical

db135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get finasteride out of tablets to make topical?

I'm using ethanol to try and extract the finasteride from my 1mg tablets but most of the drug seems to remain un dissolved with the fillers.

To cut a long story short, I crush a finasteride tablet in stainless Steel mortar and once in fine powder I add a few ml of 96% ethanol, I continue mixing and crushing in the mortar for a few minutes. I remove with a syringe and allow solids to settle on the plunger before pushing out the clear liquid on top. In this liquid finasteride should have dissolved, if its lying in the powder its too big for scalp penetration.

On oral I experienced brain fog with every dose, I did experiments with a placebo and out of 3 capsules( one containing 1/4 mg finasteride) and 2 containing vit d I could easily tell the day I took the drug so it not in my mind.

If I take 1ml of ethanol (with juice) which should contain 1/4mg finasteride dissolved I get very very slight brain fog, if I take a dose of the solids that settled in the syringe I get hammered. So most of the finasteride is not dissolving and it needs to for scalp penetration.

If anyone is good at chemistry I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm wondering if all these people chucking finasteride tablets in minoxidil are really getting any benefit.

I also attach an extract from a study that was done on finasteride stability in different conditions. In it the scientist extracted finasteride from 5mg propecia tablets to make their solutions. If you notice in lab conditions with proper equipment they only extracted a 10th of the finasteride from the tablets with ethanol so it's not that easy.

50 ug per ml is 0.05mg of finasteride per ml. So they ended up with 1.25mg of finasteride in 25ml of ethanol, that's only 1/10 of what was available
Screenshot_20230125-205241_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Hairguru

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe tablets contain fillers, i tried mixing myself but gave up! I buy mine from a compound pharmacy.