Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy For Alopecia

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This has systemic effects(scalp hair growth) too as it was noticed at some clinics when breaking up kidney stones.

https://mts-science.com/dermatology/aesthetics/

Along time ago, I heard from a friend at a local hospital of how they used electrostimulation to speed bone fracture healing time. Well....the guy had male pattern baldness and also started regrowing his hair.

Until recently I didn't know of the bone-vascular axis but it is all starting to fall down like some preset dominos.
The real reason we are balding is because of vascular health and mostly due to the decline of eNOS.

OneDay_NW0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this a new finding by accident or is it well known for years or is it a Study? I also can't find a Date.

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont think there is a study but just anecdotal reports coming from clinics.

Here is a pretty good study showing all of what ECSWT can do to the blood vessels. Although, these studies are most likely based on local application areas there are good things going on systemically.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5796073/

Extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT) is a non-invasive physiotherapy that was first used in the lithotripsy of kidney stones [12]. With its development, it has been gradually applied in the treatment of musculoskeletal diseases, such as plantar fasciitis and chronic lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow), for which it is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration [13].

Several experimental studies demonstrated that ESWT induces nitric oxide (NO) production and inhibition of nuclear factor kappa B (NF-κB) activation in an in vitro model [14], and significantly induces the expression of 84 angiogenic genes in normal mice or mice with non-healing diabetic ulcers [15].

Further, ESWT induces angiogenic and proliferative growth factors, such as nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), and proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA), at joints to stimulate the formation of new capillaries and muscularized vessels, thus improving blood supply and tendon regeneration in animal models

I see you can get them on ebay!!! What can't you get on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/i/233346769214...MIsoKmsa7y5AIVRRx9Ch3bagn1EAQYASABEgKuZ_D_BwE

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some other drugs that are vascular related and have been known to grow hair.

spironolactone- thought of as an anti-androgen and it is. BUT, there haven't been any good discussions of WHY the 80 year old man after 6 years suddenly started growing hair. Anti-androgenic? NO WAY!! Even castration and anti-androgens don't regrow hair much as this experiment gets done routinely every day in sex offenders and prostate cancer patients. Anti-androgens are for maintenance.

Could spironolactone have taken 6 years to regress atherosclerotic plaques?? Remember they are slow to be removed and was once thought impossible.

https://www.uhhospitals.org/for-cli...exhalted-trials-seek-ways-to-monitor-disease-
progression-and-improve-outcomes

Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker and can also reduce vascular calcification and has a study in one person that it grew hair. Give me time I will find the study.

Hydralazine is another BP drug and has reports of growing hair.

Hair growth is all about getting back normal vasculature again.

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is interesting too:

Obstructive sleep apnea, low transferrin saturation levels, and male-pattern baldness.
Baik I1, Lee S2, Thomas RJ3, Shin C2,4.
Author information
Abstract

BACKGROUND:
There are limited data on the association between obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), which is characterized by intermittent hypoxia, and male-pattern baldness (male pattern baldness). Low blood iron levels are reportedly associated with hypoxia and hair loss. This study explored a possible link among OSA, iron status, and male pattern baldness.

METHODS:
Polysomnography (PSG) and hair assessments were conducted in a cross-sectional study including 932 men aged 46-76 years. OSA was defined as an apnea-hypopnea index ≥5 by PSG evaluation and male pattern baldness as scales from IV to VII according to the Norwood-Hamilton scale classification. Serum transferrin saturation (TSA) levels were assessed.

RESULTS:
A total of 224 men (24%) were identified as male pattern baldness cases and 495 men (53%) as having OSA. After considering potential risk factors, OSA and other sleep-related variables were not associated with male pattern baldness. In joint analysis of OSA and family history of hair loss, men with these two factors showed a sevenfold higher multivariate odds ratio (95% confidence interval: 3.70, 12.56) for male pattern baldness than those without both of them (P < 0.05 for the interaction between OSA and family history of hair loss). TSA levels were significantly associated with male pattern baldness and OSA. OSA cases without male pattern baldness as well as male pattern baldness cases showed lower TSA levels than those with neither OSA nor male pattern baldness (P < 0.05).

CONCLUSIONS:
These findings suggest that OSA may be a risk factor for male pattern baldness in men who have a family history of hair loss and that low serum TSA levels associated with hypoxia may be involved in a pathway linking OSA and male pattern baldness.

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
More about systemic effects of EWST:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1743919116308615

Our study revealed significant increases of serum biomarkers including angiogenesis (NO3 and VEGF), osteogenesis (BMP-2 and osteocalcin) and regeneration (IGF) within one week to one month after the application of high dosage ESWT.

At the same time, significant decreases in inflammatory cytokines (TNF-α and IL-6), pain threshold (substance P and CGRP) and tissue regeneration inhibitor_________ (DKK-1)________ were also noted within one week to one month after ESWT especially in high dosage Group C.

Therefore, it appears that high dosage ESWT is associated with systemic changes in serum biomarkers for angiogenesis, osteogenesis, anti-inflammation, pain threshold, and tissue regeneration in one week to one month after shockwave treatment.

It appears that ESWT showed both local and systemic effects in early hip necrosis.

In our study, medium ESWT dosage (Group B) did not demonstrate significant differences with high ESWT dosage (Group C) in all serum biomarker levels and dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI study in microcirculation (Ktrans) and plasma volume (Vp). Nonetheless, Group B delineated significantly better effects only in some serum biomarkers (osteocalcin, BMP2 and DKK-1), Ktrans and Vp. It seemed that Group C showed best therapeutic effects in the study.

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://mts-science.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/The-concept-of-SWT-in-androgenic-alopecia_V1.pdf

"When assisted by SW™T, which on its own leads to fast and intensive hair growth, drastic changes can be expected.

On the basis of induced angiogenesis and regeneration the microneedling and SW™T will lead to rapid hair growth as sufficient blood supply is crucial for maintenance, repair and growth of new hair follicles.

The perspectives The combination therapy using microneedling and SW™T-assisted treatment of andogenic alopecia will exponentiate the outcome of enhanced hair growth.

It is an office-based procedure consisting of multiple sittings which are minimally invasive and very cost-effective. The risk of unintended sideeffects is very low and adverse events are really uncommon 16. The concept can be considered a safe and gentle alternative to surgical hair transplant. Due to its novelty, clinical trials are required to evaluate its efficacy. The concept was invented together with Mirza Niaz Zaman, MD (General Medicine, 5th course), KNMU, Ukraine. If you are interested to discuss this project or want to manage or participate in a clinical trial please feel free to directly contact us for further discussion.

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
More demonstration of systemic actions:

https://www.eswtusa.com/faqs

Lithotripsy, a similar shock wave therapy procedure, is used regularly for breaking up and dispersing kidney stones.

When urologists found that patients who had the kidney stone procedure presented with increased bone density and new tissue growth, the possibilities of shock wave therapy were revisited.

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE DORNIER EQUIPMENT USED BY EXCELLENCE SHOCK WAVE THERAPY AND OTHER ESWT EQUIPMENT?
Excellence Shock Wave Therapy has selected the Dornier EPOS Ultra as our equipment of choice because it offers the highest, yet most variable, energy output. It also incorporates ultrasound to view the damaged tissue and target the shock waves directly at, and only to, the damaged tissue.

The Dornier is capable of performing both low energy and high energy treatments. Excellence Shock Wave Therapy does not perform low energy shock wave therapy for plantar fasciitis. Only high energy is FDA tested and approved for plantar fasciitis.

High energy ESWT causes cavitation or microtrauma to the tissue. This forces the body to lay down new fibroblast tissue and actually repair the tendon while also affecting pain receptors.

Low energy shock wave therapy affects only the pain receptors. Low energy shock wave therapy cannot be performed with a local anesthetic because a local injection has been shown to nullify the results of low energy treatments on pain receptors. This means the patient must be able to tolerate the pain of the treatment. Once tolerance has been reached, the energy level cannot be increased. Multiple treatments are required to affect the pain receptors with low energy shock wave therapy.

Lately there have been some manufacturers of devices that are unfocused pressure waves machines trying to position their machines as ESWT.

Pressure wave devices are used for relaxing muscles and trigger point pain. They are not ESWT, and do not produce the same results or function in the body. Insist on high energy ESWT with the Dornier Epos Ultra.

https://www.eswtusa.com/articles/2003/comparison-chart

Otis Mack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If we are to take a page out of EWST therapy and assume microneedling is similar(and I dont know if they are) then the micro-needling only needs to be done about every 1-3 monthes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3607492/

[Research on the biological effects of LI-ESWT has mainly been focused on vasculogenesis and local neovascularization. Wang and colleagues [Wang et al. 2003] discovered that LI-ESWT stimulates the expression of angiogenesis-related growth factors, such as endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), and endothelial cell proliferation factors, such as proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA).

They also reported that LI-ESWT induces neovascularization, and consequently improves blood supply. Interestingly, they found that 1 week after LI-ESWT, the angiogenic marker levels rose significantly and this effect lasted for approximately 8 weeks.

They also showed that neovascularization and cell proliferation were evident 4 weeks after LI-ESWT and persisted for more than 12 weeks.