explaination for shedding bullshit..

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
ok...so far..nobody seems to have an answer to my question.

my question is plain and simple..

the finasteride shed is attributed to reduced DHT levels. they say you would only go through a shed if your follicles were sensitive to DHT, in which case a NON-male pattern baldness person would not shed if given finasteride. if this is the case then why does the propecia cause 'all over shedding' including the back.

in my case, i was losing hair from the NW5 area...temple..front and vertex. upon taking finasteride i started shedding by the 10th day and started losing ALOT of hair from the back where i'd never lost a hair from before. a pull would bring out 5-6 hair each and every time including from the base of the neck.

if the shed is actually due to reduced DHT , since thats the explaination everybody gives for it. they say a reduction in DHT , stimulates the follicles and cause a shift from telogen to anagen which causes the shed. well if this were the case why would propecia make you lose hair from the 'safe zone' ..the back and sides of the head where the follicles 'supposedly' are insensitive to DHT.

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
Sir_LagaLot said:
ok...so far..nobody seems to have an answer to my question.

my question is plain and simple..

the finasteride shed is attributed to reduced DHT levels. they say you would only go through a shed if your follicles were sensitive to DHT, in which case a NON-male pattern baldness person would not shed if given finasteride. if this is the case then why does the propecia cause 'all over shedding' including the back.

in my case, i was losing hair from the NW5 area...temple..front and vertex. upon taking finasteride i started shedding by the 10th day and started losing ALOT of hair from the back where i'd never lost a hair from before. a pull would bring out 5-6 hair each and every time including from the base of the neck.

if the shed is actually due to reduced DHT , since thats the explaination everybody gives for it. they say a reduction in DHT , stimulates the follicles and cause a shift from telogen to anagen which causes the shed. well if this were the case why would propecia make you lose hair from the 'safe zone' ..the back and sides of the head where the follicles 'supposedly' are insensitive to DHT.

The "Safe zone" is under androgen influence just like the top of your head, but that doesn't mean it's thinning, maybe the hair on the sides is kinked due to DHT and when it's reduced those hairs will shed, just a theory. But shedding is concentrated to male pattern baldness prone areas

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
i no get. safe zone approppriately named because hair in that area not sensitive to DHT and you dont lose hair from there. you lose hair from the norwood areas like on the charts and the hair on the back and sides remain.

when i was losing hair (before taking finasteride) i didnt lose hair from the back ever...i took finasteride..and i lost tons of hair, short thin vellus-type hair from the back. why?

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Nobody has answered it because there is no answer. Science doesn't even know why minoxidil works and it certainly doesn't know all the reasons that cause male pattern baldness. You need to look at this situation for what it is. You are taking medications which produce different effects in different people and you are experiencing something that could be attributable to a number of possible causes.

I highly doubt you didn't ever lost hairs from the back either. Look some nowrwood 7's go down practically to the neck region so maybe you are not pulling from a safe zone. Also hairs near the neck are close to velus hairs because it is a smooth transition from regular hair to "no" hair as you go from crown down to the back. Or maybe your hair is thinning all over due to illness/ poor nutrition only its worse in the male pattern baldness area. Or you just have a mild case of Telogen Effluvium from the finasteride which causes hair to shed from all over the scalp. Or it is something else.

I am telling you that you will not get an answer from people here or anywhere else on the net, just a bunch of possible causes.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am on 7 months finasteride and i didnt ever had the noticeable finasteride shedding. i expereince regrowth by the 6 month in my vertex and hairline became slightly denser.....