Experiments with dissolving spironolactone...(Part 1)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that some of you make your own spironolactone topicals (either solutions or creams), so the following should be very relevant and comforting for you do-it-yourselfers!

Even though I also make some of my own topical concoctions, I've always felt slightly uneasy about the general technique of crushing-up spironolactone tablets and mixing them in with Rogaine or other topical vehicles. Does the spironolactone REALLY get dissolved into the alcohol, or does it just stay behind in all that sediment which falls to the bottom of the bottle? I finally decided to put that to the test, and the results appear to be an unequivocal and SPECTACULAR success! :lol: Here's a brief outline of what I did, and afterwards I'll even go into a little more detail by posting the actual numbers I got:

I've previously posted that I use generic spironolactone tablets ("Spirotone" brand) which contain 100 mg of spironolactone each. The tablets themselves weigh 500 mg, so that means that they must contain 100 mg of the active drug and 400 mg of inert tablet fillers and excipients (that's what _apparently_ forms that messy sludge which refuses to dissolve in alcohol!). I took one Spirotone tablet and finely powdered it in a mortar and pestle, just to make sure that every bit of the spironolactone in it would dissolve (assuming it was going to dissolve, of course) in the next step. I dumped the tablet powder into a small glass vial of known weight. Measuring the weight of the vial + powder, I verified the exact mass of the powder sitting at the bottom.

Next I added about 12 mL of pure Everclear, enough to be sure that it could completely dissolve all the spironolactone in that powdered tablet (assuming that it was in fact going to dissolve, of course...I pre-calculated that the concentration of spironolactone in the Everclear would be around the 1% level, which I figured it should easily be able to hold). I capped the vial and THOROUGHLY shook it over an extended period of time to be CERTAIN that the alcohol in the Everclear would completely dissolve whatever it was going to dissolve. Then I set the vial down in a cool, dark place to let the undissolved sediment slowly settle to the bottom of the vial.

24 hours later, it had settled-out nicely, leaving a pale yellow liquid (Everclear and whatever solute it contained) sitting over a milky-looking sediment. Next came the tricky and tedious part: I sat down with a long, slender glass eyedropper with a narrow tip at the end and SLOWLY and CAREFULLY removed as much of that Everclear above the sediment as I could. I did it without moving or jostling the vial, so that the sediment wouldn't get stirred-up and withdrawn by accident, along with the liquid. It took me about 45 minutes of tedious effort to do that (with beads of sweat popping out on my forehead), but I got rid of just about every last bit of liquid that I safely could (about 96% of the liquid, as I was able to calculate later). This left only the sediment lying in the bottom of the vial, which was still wet with a little remaining Everclear. I set the vial out to air-dry the rest of the way by itself.

Two days later it was completely bone-dry, with just the sediment remaining in the vial. And here came the CRITICAL STEP: I weighed the vial and its contents for one last time, and it was EXACTLY 400 mg higher than the empty starting weight of the vial!! It was "dead nuts", to use the technical term! :lol: That proved beyond any reasonable doubt that the Everclear did in fact dissolve all 100 mg of the spironolactone in the crushed-up tablet, and left behind all 400 mg of the fillers and excipients (BTW, this also demonstrates a simple way to remove all that sediment: just remove the good spironolactone-containing liquid with an eyedropper, and discard the remaining junk). I was _thrilled_ to be able to satisfy for myself that the fundamental process that we've been using with spironolactone tablets is sound. Further experiments I'll be doing (Part 2) will try to determine the maximum concentration of spironolactone that can be achieved with Everclear and Everclear/PPG mixtures. Stay tuned.

For those of you who want to see the actual numbers I got in my little test to double-check my method, here they are, straight out of my notes:

Mass of empty glass vial: 11.88 grams

Mass of vial + crushed spironolactone tab: 12.39 grams (my scale is accurate to +/- 0.01 grams)

Mass of vial + tab + Everclear: 21.94 grams

(After removing liquid and drying for two days)
Mass of vial + sediment: 12.28 grams

There ya have it: 12.28 - 11.88 = exactly 0.4 grams (400 mg) of sediment. Yes, I was as astonished as the rest of you to see it work out EXACTLY like that, to within the accuracy of the scale itself. I almost fell off the chair when I saw that! :lol:

Bryan

Stingray

Reaction score
Awesome..

Did you know that if you take an M-1000 and the solid stuff in a cold pack, you can make quite a firecracker :)

But seriously..that's some interesting sh*t..keep us posted. I love chemistry.

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
good show bryan.

I thought about making my own spironolactone but the fillers were what discouraged me.

I just buy mine from Dr. Lee for now, but if I could make my own and be sure it was good, I would be willing since it would probably cost like 2bucks/bottle to make it yourself vs 20bottle with Dr. Lee.

Of course his has fragrance added to it which makes it smell better.

Did your concoction smell bad? I wonder what fragrances of your own you could add that would help the smell without hindering effectiveness?

Maybe next time you should buy an amateur lab kit that pumps off the surface liquid?

I'm sure there has to be a way to buy bulk spironolactone powder without fillers but I guess you'd have to know someone to do that.

Oh, and I think 3% is the max anyone has been able to obtain with spironolactone in solution. 2% is normally what is used probably because at 3% you start to border on maximum concentration.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
vortex72--> said:
I thought about making my own spironolactone but the fillers were what discouraged me.

I just buy mine from Dr. Lee for now, but if I could make my own and be sure it was good, I would be willing since it would probably cost like 2bucks/bottle to make it yourself vs 20bottle with Dr. Lee.

Yeah, the price would be somewhere along about there. What irks me is that hair2go had a very good price for spironolactone, but they no longer sell it.

vortex72--> said:
Of course his has fragrance added to it which makes it smell better.

Did your concoction smell bad? I wonder what fragrances of your own you could add that would help the smell without hindering effectiveness?

Not sure about that. Those Spirotone tablets already have a rather pleasant minty smell added to them, and the solutions and creams that I make with them maintain that aroma. It's no problem at all for ME, at least. Also, you should add a pinch of BHT and refrigerate it afterwards, to slow-down the development of any bad smell.

vortex72--> said:
Maybe next time you should buy an amateur lab kit that pumps off the surface liquid?

Well, we're only talking about relatively small amounts of liquid, so skimming-off the liquid with a dropper isn't really any big deal. I only stressed the tediousness and difficulty of doing that in my post because I was trying to be EXTRAORDINARILY careful and precise, just to be as accurate as possible for my little test. You wouldn't have to be as a*** about it, just when making up a quick batch for your own hairloss purposes! :lol:

vortex72--> said:
I'm sure there has to be a way to buy bulk spironolactone powder without fillers but I guess you'd have to know someone to do that.

I've seen links to Web sites which were selling the pure chemical, but it was prohibitively expensive. Much more even than what Dr. Lee charges on a per-gram basis.

vortex72--> said:
Oh, and I think 3% is the max anyone has been able to obtain with spironolactone in solution. 2% is normally what is used probably because at 3% you start to border on maximum concentration.

Keep in mind that products Like Dr. Lee's stuff and even studies (like the Italian spironolactone hairloss study) have used additional agents in the vehicle like propylene glycol or glycerin which almost certainly dissolve spironolactone better than pure ethanol, so it's hard to say what the max is with either pure alcohol OR any other specific vehicle. However, I hope to get a pretty good idea what they can do, with further testing.

Bryan

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
It took me about 45 minutes of tedious effort to do that (with beads of sweat popping out on my forehead)

sounds like more than a minor effort! :laugh: I hope it would be easier for me! :freaked2:

Keep in mind that products Like Dr. Lee's stuff and even studies (like the Italian spironolactone hairloss study) have used additional agents in the vehicle like propylene glycol or glycerin which almost certainly dissolve spironolactone better than pure ethanol, so it's hard to say what the max is with either pure alcohol OR any other specific vehicle. However, I hope to get a pretty good idea what they can do, with further testing.

I'm sure you are right. I just kind of pulled this concentration out of my butt since several articles I've read about topical spironolactone have never mentioned any solution higher than 3%. It would be interesting to experiment with various delivery vehicles such as absorption enhancers. You could try putting just a _pinch_ of DMSO in there to see what happens :rockon:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
vortex72--> said:
It took me about 45 minutes of tedious effort to do that (with beads of sweat popping out on my forehead)

sounds like more than a minor effort! :laugh: I hope it would be easier for me! :freaked2:

I want you to be absolutely clear that I only went to that _extreme_ effort because I had to be as accurate as possible for the purpose of that test! Under ordinary conditions like simply making a solution to put on my scalp, I'd have that liquid skimmed-off of there in about a couple of minutes! :lol:

Bryan

G

Two days later it was completely bone-dry, with just the sediment remaining in the vial. And here came the CRITICAL STEP: I weighed the vial and its contents for one last time, and it was EXACTLY 400 mg higher than the empty starting weight of the vial!! It was "dead nuts", to use the technical term! That proved beyond any reasonable doubt that the Everclear did in fact dissolve all 100 mg of the spironolactone in the crushed-up tablet, and left behind all 400 mg of the fillers and excipients (BTW, this also demonstrates a simple way to remove all that sediment: just remove the good spironolactone-containing liquid with an eyedropper, and discard the remaining junk). I was _thrilled_ to be able to satisfy for myself that the fundamental process that we've been using with spironolactone tablets is sound. Further experiments I'll be doing (Part 2) will try to determine the maximum concentration of spironolactone that can be achieved with Everclear and Everclear/PPG mixtures. Stay tuned.

This doesn't really prove anything. You don't seem to know the identity of the binder constituents, they may be entirely soluble in alcohol. They may be more soluble than the spironolactone and these solutes may reduce the solubility of the spironolactone in the multicomponent mixture. The 400 mg result is interesting, but means nothing in and of itself. There are too many degrees of freedom and you have determined nothing.

In order to even qualitatively evaluate the results of your test you need one of three pieces of information.

1. The identity and relative solubility of the binder constituents for a screening-type guess at what's up.
2. Determination that the raffinate is 100% devoid of spironolactone by analysis, which is unlikely, so better to have a quantitative analysis of the raffinate to perform material balance.
3. Best option - Since you are proposing that the resulting extract consists exclusively of binary azeotropic alc-water solvent and spironolactone solute, a refractive index on the extract should confirm the exact concentration which you have calculated. If you don’t have access to a lab you can do this at your local college/high school, if you are familiar with it this is a simple test that doesn’t cost anything or make any mess.

Other than option 3, you could take your crude analysis one step further. Since you have decided that all 100 mg of spironolactone has been extracted and all 400 mg of binder has been raffinate you can test this hypothesis very easily with a temperature of fusion check. Evaporate the solvent, take the evaporate which you believe to be pure spironolactone, and run a fusion/melting point test. If it is anywhere near pure it will have a temperature of fusion/melting range that is both very tight and very close to the literature values. If it is a little further away from pure then the fusion range will likely be wider in temperature but still close to the literature value. If the fraction of spironolactone present is qualitatively poor then the temperature of fusion will not be close to the literature values.

But unless you know more than you have provided, such as the identities of the binder constituents, you are relying on a mere coincidence and the result you have provided cannot be interpreted.

Harry

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with yeddie. It's possible that the solution removed with the eyedropper just happened to be 100mg of excipient matieral that dissolved perfectly in alcohol.
Also, long term, I don't think it's a good idea to put alcohol on your scalp every day. Think of the alcohol related throat and mouth cancers.
Why not try to put the spironolactone in some sort of liposome gel?
Thanks for posting though, Bryan. On the whole it was quite entertaining.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeddie said:
But unless you know more than you have provided, such as the identities of the binder constituents, you are relying on a mere coincidence and the result you have provided cannot be interpreted.

Uhh yes...it is indeed a coincidence I'm relying on, but it's not a "mere" one, it's a POWERFUL one! By that I mean that it would be quite a coincidence if it were NOT the 100 mg of spironolactone that dissolved, but one or more of the tablet fillers. I was careful to say that my results indicated "beyond a reasonable doubt" that it was the spironolactone that I had dissolved, and I certainly believe that to be true.

In any event, I really did enjoy your reply, and I appreciate the suggestions. BTW, I posted that on both HairLossTalk.com and HLH and I expected to get a number of posts just like yours, challenging my interpretation of those results. But there were only a couple: yours here on HairLossTalk.com, and one on HLH...

Bryan