Experience so far...the good, and the not so good

Brad98

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s been over 5 weeks since I finally got my system installed and it’s been quite the journey. I waited 5 months for the system to arrive and grew my back and sides out 3 times during the wait time - let me just say that this is the worst part of the entire process (well, I just experienced worse - but I’ll get to that in a second).

Reactions to the system have been quite positive from everyone that I have seen and I really enjoy the way I look wearing the hair. I’m actually surprised at how much I’ve grown attached to the system and see myself wearing one for a bit. For reference, I’m 41 now and fully shaved my head at 25 - so I’ve been bald pretty much my entire adult life.

Getting the routine down has been a challenge. I’ve generally been removing the system and cleaning it every 7-10 days and have had to do touch ups on the hair line a few times. It’s a process and I’m still very much learning, but there are some parts becoming more familiar with time. Still haven’t mastered the clean up of the glue - that’s the worst part of the entire maintenance process. Any tips are appreciated...

Now for the worst part since growing my hair out. I had a removal, clean up, and reinstall done this past Friday. After dealing with some discomfort and itching Sunday and Monday, I finally decided to check under the hairline to do some maintenance Tuesday evening. Once I lifted the hairline, I realized my scalp was quite irritated and red - yikes, an allergic reaction to the bond. It was Walker Tape Great White. My stylist and I believe we used this on the second service and everything was generally fine - I sweat a lot with workouts and thought that the itching was from that early on. Was probably having a slight reaction then. On my own, I use Ghostbond and that’s worked well. So, anyway, as I sit here typing this, this is night two without the system on my head and I really miss it - but gotta give my scalp time to resolve itself. It’s been peroxide, astringent, and cortisone cream to the rescue. The good news is it’s getting better and I hope to get the system back on tomorrow.

Any others suffer reactions? How long did it take to resolve? Tips on good bonds to use or ways to get around this?

For information, I’m wearing a full poly .03 unit.

I’m slightly concerned that I’ll have another reaction, but not ready to give up the looks again so soon. Thanks in advance for others stories, it’s always encouraging to know this community exists out there and I’m not alone in dealing with this craziness.

mroizo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just as you, I'm fairly new with hair systems and had my own journey over the last six months. In the beginning, I also had some allergy with one type of tape but my stylist switched to a different tape after that and the itchiness and inflammation is gone since then. Reading your experience makes me a bit wary of poly systems. I live in a very warm climate and was having a french lace with poly sides first and switched to a full lace system about a month back. The full lace system is only attached with glue on the front and a few tapes on the perimeter. This feels great in this climate as the lace lets the skin breathe and sweat gets out. Also when washing the hair, water gets through the lace and removes skin flakes and sweat residue.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Using a strong scalp prep like Walker Tape's Max Hold Sport is a good way to help with the irritation. It also helps improve the bond.

Always do a patch test (on your inner wrist) with anything you plan on putting on your body, first.

Brad98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just as you, I'm fairly new with hair systems and had my own journey over the last six months. In the beginning, I also had some allergy with one type of tape but my stylist switched to a different tape after that and the itchiness and inflammation is gone since then. Reading your experience makes me a bit wary of poly systems. I live in a very warm climate and was having a french lace with poly sides first and switched to a full lace system about a month back. The full lace system is only attached with glue on the front and a few tapes on the perimeter. This feels great in this climate as the lace lets the skin breathe and sweat gets out. Also when washing the hair, water gets through the lace and removes skin flakes and sweat residue.
Believe me, I would love to get into a lace system. Just haven't been able to get one so I settled for poly just to try a system out to see how I liked it. If you have any tips on getting a lace or lace with poly perimeter, please let me know. No one has my color (5R or 6R) for the few that might have a lace system.

Brad98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Using a strong scalp prep like Walker Tape's Max Hold Sport is a good way to help with the irritation. It also helps improve the bond.

Always do a patch test (on your inner wrist) with anything you plan on putting on your body, first.
Thanks for the information. Definitely doing a patch test moving forward. It was interesting to have this strong of a reaction after having used this bond before. The stylist did use a scalp protector as well.

The only other thing I can think that might have caused it was getting a little warm on the afternoon of the install with very light perspiration which likely caused the bond not to fully cure and my scalp to become extra irritated.

DarkHairHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For me, wearing a wig is not a good thing because it is the opposite of self-acceptance.

You lie to others and you lie to yourself. It's a huge false hope. Not to mention the price and maintenance.

Brad98

My Regimen
Reaction score
For me, wearing a wig is not a good thing because it is the opposite of self-acceptance.

You lie to others and you lie to yourself. It's a huge false hope. Not to mention the price and maintenance.
Thanks for your response. In my opinion, self-acceptance goes much further than wearing a wig. While wearing a wig certainly does play into ego and image, there is much more to self-acceptance.

It actually took me a long time to get to the place where I would even be comfortable wearing a wig because I would be scared who knew, what would others think, etc. For me, this was about trying out a new look and I honestly don't care who knows - part of the fun has been seeing friends again and seeing reactions - it's like getting a new haircut, new hair color, losing weight, etc. - anything that involves self-care and grooming. I'm not trying to mislead anybody. If they're judging me for my hair, lack thereof, or for wearing a piece, that's their problem. I just wanted a new look and a less shiny head for a while.

Price and maintenance are a matter of perspective. Razors/good trimmers aren't cheap and shaving my head every few days was maintenance as well - personal grooming and taking care of yourself are all part of life.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I disagree with you. Your negativity is not welcome here. Wearing hair is great because we can choose to look how we WANT to look, and not how we have to look because of hair loss.

I actually think shaving your head and pretending you 'accept yourself', when deep down you know you don't look as attractive as you would with hair, is far more phony than someone who wears hair. I feel empowered with my choice to wear hair, and it allows me to look and feel like the real me. I am expressing and being my true, authentic self by choosing to look the way I look with a hair system. A shaved head would NOT be the real me. I would be lying to myself and others if I shaved my head and pretended to be happy with it.

The price and maintenance of hair systems is not an issue - anyone with a modest income can afford a hair system, and the maintenance is easy once you learn how. I can simply focus on living my life and being me.

Also, please stop using the word 'wig'. We wear hair systems here, not wigs. There is a big difference. If you don't know the difference, you need to educate yourself.

Last edited:

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Its almost like we're all individuals with our own opinions and experiences. We're not you, so whats the point of posting that in a hair system forum? We're all lying all the time. I guess if your teeth need work done that is cosmetic (you chip your front teeth) you should just walk around like that too.

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I disagree with you. Your negativity is not welcome here. Wearing hair is great because we can choose to look how we WANT to look, and not how we have to look because of hair loss.

I actually think shaving your head and pretending you 'accept yourself', when deep down you know you don't look as attractive as you would with hair, is far more phony than someone who wears hair. I feel empowered with my choice to wear hair, and it allows me to look and feel like the real me. I am expressing and being my true, authentic self by choosing to look the way I look with a hair system. A shaved head would NOT be the real me. I would be lying to myself and others if I shaved my head and pretended to be happy with it.

The price and maintenance of hair systems is not an issue - anyone with a modest income can afford a hair system, and the maintenance is easy once you learn how. I can simply focus on living my life and being me.

Also, please stop using the word 'wig'. We wear hair systems here, not wigs. There is a big difference. If you don't know the difference, you need to educate yourself.
Thats another thing. Nothing wrong with shaving your head and being bald. But if you TRULY didn't give a F you would be walking around with a Chairman Mao haircut- not using fibers, no rogaine, no finasteride. That's another thing I bring up with the "just shave it bro" crowd. Shaving your head is a cosmetic improvement from balding for sure, but if they're trying to pretend they're escaping vanity by shaving they're really not. Like I just mentioned - you shave your head because you want to look better. Same thing as wearing hair. The only people that I know don't give a F are people walking around with the monk cut.

Brad98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats another thing. Nothing wrong with shaving your head and being bald. But if you TRULY didn't give a F you would be walking around with a Chairman Mao haircut- not using fibers, no rogaine, no finasteride. That's another thing I bring up with the "just shave it bro" crowd. Shaving your head is a cosmetic improvement from balding for sure, but if they're trying to pretend they're escaping vanity by shaving they're really not. Like I just mentioned - you shave your head because you want to look better. Same thing as wearing hair. The only people that I know don't give a F are people walking around with the monk cut.
Right on - and even then, they usually still get the hair they do have cut so they must give a sh*t to some degree.