Expectations of hair transplant (FUE) with long hair

DuncanOP

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys.

I'm a typical NW3 as in the pictures (my hair is wet in the following 2 pictures, of course):

img2.jpg

img1.png

Also, my hair is pretty long as i'm growing it for 9 years:

1622691120425.png

So, I have questions about what expectation I can have if I do a FUE without shaving my hair? (because my hair growth is pretty long and I would like to keep it, if is possible)

I found a doctor with 250+ reviews in Google Reviews with a average note of 5 stars and he is a member of ISHRS. I think he is the highest ranked in it, in my region. And he said he can do FUE it by only shaving the scruff. Can it be really feasible? I searched some other clinics and the rest said that I need to shave my hair

I'm accepting suggestions.

Some points:
1) I have 26 years old
2) I'm a NW3 since 16-17 years old? But my hair is pretty stable since this age and I not having shedding or something like that
3) My father is NW6 with black hair. And my mother grandfather is a NW0 with red hair. I think I have got more genes from my mother side, but I know my father side is relevant with Androgenic Alopecia
4) My regime is only with finasteride and I using it from 8 years long

Thanks in advice.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're going to do a FUE, I wouldn't go anywhere near a no shave procedure with your hair that long. You're going to need 2500~ grafts minimum and you want them to be done as professionally as possible, examined under a microscope and implanted correctly for a proper hairline design. If keeping your hair is important to you then just do a FUT where they can just shave the strip at the back and do the procedure properly.

If a surgeon is trying to get you into the chair with your hair that long and telling you it will be fine, run away. Most no shave procedures are for people who are looking for smaller procedures to shore up thinning areas because they are in media, sales, etc or something. Don't take short cuts on something that can so easily get botched and require extensive repair work.

DuncanOP

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you are right, shave the hair should be required.

2500 grafts is considerable more than I expected. For a NW3~ like me, I was thinking around 1500 grafts to do a good hairline.

For know, do you think how many grafts NW3's takes in their procedures (or know, if you work with that)?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't work with transplants but you have more recession then I did when I was researching and getting quotes for a transplant for myself and I was being told 2500-2750 grafts. If your forelock (the middle) was perfectly dense 1500 would be fine but you're going to need grafts in the middle to add density.

Although I just realized that your hair is wet in the pictures so perhaps less is suitable as well, it just looks like you have further recession into the NW3-4 range and would want to put as many grafts as possible to prevent you from being back in a surgeons chain in 3-4 years time.

DuncanOP

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good point, add density should be good to avoid back to the surgeons, if finasteride did not maintain my hair.
I personally think the middle still good in density at the moment, but I should use some follicles below the middle since I need to lower the forehead a bit.

Hairline/the front is the most important part of the hair for me. If I need to use a lot of scalp hair in it and let only body hairs to fill the rest (If i need), it will still a good business.

Here is some other pics, with my dry hair
1623197809269.png

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks much better dry, you're probably right that you could get great results with under 2500, but I still wouldn't go anywhere near a no shave FUE.

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

DuncanOP

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks.
Guys, I'll do the chirurgy in another city, by two hours with driving car.

Did you know if we can use the car after the chirurgy normally? As a passenger, of course.