expectations for ~17-30 year olds new on propecia

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a large percentage of young guys like me who are norwood 1-2 and/or crown thinning and/or diffuse thinning and recently started propecia. I'm just curious, what kind of results are ya'll expecting from propecia? Specifically how long it'll be before you progress significantly on the norwood scale.

and merry christmas!

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm 28 and started Proscar just over 2 months ago, I'd say that I'm a NW2 with diffuse thinning, I'm hoping to be an NW2 with no thinning by next summer if all goes to plan, it's likely that I'll add minoxidil in March.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
that's my problem. temple recession. ideally, you'll want more than just finasteride since it's a sensitive area, although finasteride will be the backbone of the treatment. nizoral is also a must. then u could try folligen, spironolactone cream, scalp exercises like i do, etc... hopefully this will keep armed against male pattern baldness for a while longer.

astral week

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering more of what kind of expectations ya'll had in the long run, like how long you think propecia will work before you slide significantly below your base count, and where you think you'll be in 5, 10, 20 years. I understand this is mostly guesswork and tailored to the individual and how he responds, but I was just curious.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i'm hoping to stay away from dutasteride for at least 10 years. let's see what happens. who knows... HM might even be out by then.

G

My expectations have dropped significantly since starting finasteride in July. At first I was hoping for major thickening and even regrowth of my hairline. But since then I have set more realistic goals...... I am now hoping to get back to baseline and maintain this state for about 7 or 8 years and add Rogaine then. Though, the way my hair looks like today I will probably have to add Rogaine much sooner... :cry:

All in all I am hoping to maintain a decent head of hair until HM actually comes out and offers a real solution for all hair related problems.....

G

If you really want your temples, apply minoxidil to that region as well as taking your standard dose of finasteride. It will do wonders. The finasteride may stop the recession or slow it down, but you most probably will not get any gains in the temporal region with fina alone.

lunarjm

Reaction score
MPBWarrior said:
that's my problem. temple recession. ideally, you'll want more than just finasteride since it's a sensitive area, although finasteride will be the backbone of the treatment. nizoral is also a must. then u could try folligen, spironolactone cream, scalp exercises like i do, etc... hopefully this will keep armed against male pattern baldness for a while longer.

I checked out the link for the scalp exercises and the guy mentions that finasteride and minoxidil are not effective for temporal hair loss, only crown? I haven't heard that before?

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Finasteride and Minoxidil are effective for frontal loss. They are more effective for crown regrowth, though, and the FDA tests that were done were only focused on the crown and midscalp. Therefore, though it is widely accepted that it's harder to regrow hair in the frontal region, we still know that it's a possibility; Upjohn and Merck just can't legally claim that it does.