Excessive hair loss after minoxidil overdose

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been recently picking up stories from the internet that could help me in explaining my recent problems with shedding, and I think it could be useful to share them with you.

I have been on some sort of hair treatment since December 1996 (the age of 22 years), when I first observed a receding hairline in my temples. Until 1999, I used Alpicort F, then 2% minoxidil (1999-2008) and in summer 2008 I switched to 5% minoxidil, because it was both cheaper and more effective. I applied it only once daily on the whole area that is normally affected by male alopecia. During the whole time, I observed only very negligible vellus growth in temples, but my hairline has stayed the same like in the spring of 1997 (Norwood 2), when the treatment by Alpicort F started to work. No wonder that I was quite surprised by many internet claims that in theory, it shouldn't happen, because I couldn't hold my hairline for 14 years without a DHT blocker. But everybody is different...

When I switched to 5% minoxidil in 2008, I added 0.05% retin A to it, because I heard about the positive effect of this combination in temples. I used it for nearly one year, but I regrew only few thin hairs. Still, this result was encouraging, and the experience I read in the internet convinced me that the regrowth of hair is only a matter of dosage, because the follicles are not "dead" forever, only miniaturized.

In January 2011 I finally bought dr. Lee's 15% Xandrox and I started to add it to my usual daily regimen with 5% minoxidil (5% minoxidil in the evening, Xandrox in the morning - only in temples). In April, I cut my hair short and then I noticed for the first time that the density of my hair in temples is somewhat lower. At the same time, I observed that thin vellus hairs on bald places became thicker and darker, so I came to the conclusion that the stuff is working and that I am only paranoid. However, after additional 2 months, the hair loss is very marked and I estimate that I lost at least one-third of my hair in my temples. Since they were partly thinned even before (as a consequence of my brief, but very unfortunate experiment with herbal extracts in 1998), under certain circumstances I look almost like Norwood 3.

On a more positive note, I definitely see some new thick hairs springing out on places that have been bald for 13-14 years. There is also an unusually high number of little hairs growing back on the affected hairy areas. This must mean that the stuff is really producing results and that my hair loss is also due to it and not due to some sudden aggravation of my male alopecia. However, my hair is still in the worst state ever, and from time to time I really succumb to serious depression. Well, I admit that my problems might seem ludicrous to many bald people, but while Norwood 2 possesses no problems to my hair style, Norwood 3 already requires some sort of masking, which I wholeheartedly despise.

I tried to find other pieces of experience in the internet, and my conclusion is that the everyday's use of 15% minoxidil (together with 5% minoxidil) led to chronical overdose and excessive reaction of hair follicles. Some people experience dramatic shedding after 15% minoxidil for as much as 8 months, and their lost hair regrows back (or even surprisingly "explodes") only when they switch to less potent versions. Therefore, I think that if you see shedding with strong minoxidil versions for many months, you should decrease the frequency of use, otherwise your hairs will have big problems to accustom to it.

Since 10 days ago I ran out of my Xandrox already, I use 5% minoxidil like before, and I added Retin A with Nizoral. However, I want to give it one more try and I ordered a new bottle of 15% minoxidil (Essen Gen). This time I will use it only every other day, and only on bald places, if possible. It is a sort of a gamble now, but I do hope that the lost hairs will grow back, and that I could even partly restore my temples - as the new thick hairs suggest. In any case, I am sorry that I didn't reflect internet recommendations and I wasn't more careful. Now I will have many unpleasant hellish weeks in front of me.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
WarLord said:
I tried to find other pieces of experience in the internet, and my conclusion is that the everyday's use of 15% minoxidil (together with 5% minoxidil) led to chronical overdose and excessive reaction of hair follicles. Some people experience dramatic shedding after 15% minoxidil for as much as 8 months, and their lost hair regrows back (or even surprisingly "explodes") only when they switch to less potent versions.

Yes I remember reading a couple of posters on here saying exactly that. Heavy shedding on 15% then they switched to 5% and saw amazing regrowth to thicker than ever before.

(Care to put your hands up posters?)

Part of me wondered if it was some other ingredient in the Xandrox that was supressing the potential of the minoxidil, but you could be right that it's just an overdose-like effect.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Interessting read. Question though, I use the 5% version but use quite a lot of it every time (mostly cause my hair is very long, and by itself very thick so I use extra to be sure) but doesn't that count for like using a higher concentration?? I've heard so before at least...

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
To be sincere, I regularly use 3-4 ml of the 5% minoxidil every day. It may be unnecessarily much, but I really don't think that it would be technically possible to cover the whole head with 1 ml, as recommended. And my hair is not especially long, usually 2,5-5 cm (1-2 inches).

Apparently, the problem lies in concentration, not in the amount of minoxidil. I have never observed any shedding from minoxidil, even when I switched from 2% to 5%. And at the beginning, I normally used about 5 ml of 2% minoxidil a day. Only after several years, when I saw that it works well, I dared to lower the dosage. Therefore, I hoped that an increase from 5% to 15% would pose no problem. But it did...

So be really careful, because it can temporarily destroy your hair almost completely. Basically, I think that hair follicles affected by minoxidil overdose "get crazy" and start to produce new hair shafts on a mass scale. As a result, virtually all your hairs are being replaced within a very short time. But considering that the new hair needs about 3 months to start growing, the density of hair gradually decreases, because the new hairs can't replace the old hairs so quickly. This is the most logical explanation, because the density of my hair on bald places simultaneously increases.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Update: Since people often complain that some posters don't come back, I will update my experience with high doses of minoxidil.

As I said, the shedding on 15% minoxidil was horrible and between January and June, I basically got from moderate Norwood 2 to Norwood 3. June was a depressive month for me, despite the fact that I saw some new thick hairs growing on places that have been bald for 13-14 years. This indicated that the stuff was working, but it didn't improve my mood too much.

In July, I decreased the frequency of use of 15% minoxidil from every day to every other day, and I continued in the everyday's use of 5% minoxidil. Gradually I noticed that the lost hair was growing back and in August, my hair practically returned to the original state. Then I decided to use 15% minoxidil only on bald places and 10% minoxidil on thin hairy places (every other day). I continued in this treatment until mid-October, but I observed no further regrowth. Yes, I have regrown some new thick hairs since January, but they were few and the effect was not cosmetically meaningful.

I realized that the potential of 15% minoxidil was exhausted. Then I bought a 2 mm dermaroller, because I wanted to use it on my acne scars, but I told myself that it could be useful even on hair regrowth. At first I rolled once in every 6 days and in December I started to roll once in 4 days. Simultaneously I used 10% minoxidil on the bald and thin places every other day, and I also applied it after rolling. During January, I started to observe that hair on affected areas became thicker and to my surprise, I also noticed some new hairs springing out on bald areas. This was encouraging.

However, now I see that frontal areas, where I roll and use 10% minoxidil, are again thinner than before. At first I thought I was only paranoid, but today I noticed that there was an unusually high amount of little hairs growing back - i.e. a similar development like in summer. At the same time, there are definitely some new hairs that must have grown during the last 2 months. This means that it works, but again I am displeased by the hair loss. I suspect that the minoxidil concentrations are too strong for me and the repeating loss-regrowth-loss-regrowth is both annoying and psychically exhausting. Hence I decided to switch to a 3-days' cycle: I will be rolling and applying 10% minoxidil once in every 3 days.

Reaction score
Hi Warlord ..

That's some experience you have on Minoxidil , I am also using Minoxidil 5 for 2 years now , At first my experience was pretty awesome , The hair regrowth i achieved was huge but now after 2 years it seems the results are going away .. I am thinning again and my temple and crown area is loosing density.
So what according to you should be my next step
a) Increasing the Minoxidil strength
b) Adding finasteride ( Too afraid to do that though , Already using nizoral 2% thrice a week )
c) Both A and B.

The kind of experience you have with Minoxidil i figure i could use some.

Thanks

bikram sharma

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using minoxidil 10% with finasteride 2mg and ketoconazole shampoo(twice a week) from the last 5months. Hair fall increased in first 2month then it decrease a little and then again after 5months
The hair is falling like a flash of cards like minimum 50hair everyday and more than 100 while taking bath...
I'm applying minoxidil twice a day
Should I apply it once a day or should I give a break of 7/8 days..
Is the medicine not working ...
Please help

bikram sharma

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using minoxidil 10% with finasteride 2mg and ketoconazole shampoo(twice a week) from the last 5months. Hair fall increased in first 2month then it decrease a little and then again after 5months
The hair is falling like a flash of cards like minimum 50hair everyday and more than 100 while taking bath...
I'm applying minoxidil twice a day
Should I apply it once a day or should I give a break of 7/8 days..
Is the medicine not working ...
Please help