Exacty when is DHT formed?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
3) Masturbation causes significant long term changes in DHT levels. (true)

This is not true. Your body always works toward "homeostasis", perhaps you missed that word in biology class. Sexual functions cannot mess your body up except in the short term. Perhaps if you're jerking it 6 times a day for 5 years you will have some sort of minor hormone fluctuation, but that's because your body is never allowed to go back to normal.

Honestly, I think the case for balding when you aren't masturbating is actually better. Your testosterone levels actually rise, meaning there is more available to convert to DHT (and if you are not taking finasteride, you aren't blocking that DHT).

Your argument falls flat on its face. Especially with this one:

Brains Expel Hair said:
However:
4) Masturbation can affect other hormones which may connect to some forms of hair loss. (probable, but not substantiated)

This is not "probable" at all, it's unlikely as well as unsubstantiated.

I'd love to believe it too (easy fix), but there's no reason that the body would be affected negatively from sexual functions. If you're having sex like your body is designed to be able to do, is that detrimental?

Hoppi

Reaction score
Problem is in the absence of studies regarding sex hormone levels surrounding sexual activity, we really can't say for sure what the effect is. Additionally, I believe there is far more to this than simply whether your T levels are too high or not...

Homeostasis is a nice concept but in practice the body is always falling out of optimum hormonal levels - if that were not true, people would have no need to visit endocrinologists. Dropping health in males, for example, can lead to dropping testosterone. It is.. an odd suggestion to use the concept of homeostasis as evidence that we all must be hormonally perfect regardless of relevant lifestyle and diet issues.

zapper

Reaction score
Would it be possible that the lack of some important mineral such as Zinc which is essential for hair growth and also a component of the ejaculate, cause DHT to bind with hair follicles and hence make the hair grow thinner and thinner until the mineral such as Zinc gets back to normal / standard level?

May be the hair would grow back naturally, provided we know what we lack in terms of proteins or vitamins or minerals, etc.. There could be a number of ways to listen to the body and let the body know how important our hair is and force it to understand that with thicker hair comes more sexual activity, so that the body realizes and produces more hair for the treat.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Hoppi, I don't mean to be condescending but I agree with Seaback.

People that cannot achieve homeostasis have problems with their organs. Your hormones do not just "go out of whack". Usually something like a pitituitary gland or the thyroid is messed up--and this will EASILY be known from tests.

There is no "nice concept" about homeostasis. It's a fact. Your body is acting just perfectly normal, too, except that your hair follicles are sensitive to DHT.

Finasteride and minoxidil are you only hope until either hair cloning/multiplication or some other new technology for restoring hair is found.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
Brains Expel Hair said:
3) Masturbation causes significant long term changes in DHT levels. (true)

This is not true. Your body always works toward "homeostasis", perhaps you missed that word in biology class. Sexual functions cannot mess your body up except in the short term. Perhaps if you're jerking it 6 times a day for 5 years you will have some sort of minor hormone fluctuation, but that's because your body is never allowed to go back to normal.

Honestly, I think the case for balding when you aren't masturbating is actually better. Your testosterone levels actually rise, meaning there is more available to convert to DHT (and if you are not taking finasteride, you aren't blocking that DHT).

Your argument falls flat on its face. Especially with this one:

[quote="Brains Expel Hair":39w5kr16]However:
4) Masturbation can affect other hormones which may connect to some forms of hair loss. (probable, but not substantiated)

This is not "probable" at all, it's unlikely as well as unsubstantiated.

I'd love to believe it too (easy fix), but there's no reason that the body would be affected negatively from sexual functions. If you're having sex like your body is designed to be able to do, is that detrimental?[/quote:39w5kr16]

Actually yeah, 3) was a total typo on my end. Meant to type "causes no significant long term changes in DHT."

As for 4) it's totally probable (maybe you don't know what that word means?) as it's been shown that prolactin levels certainly fluctuate after orgasm but studies on chronic levels have yet to be done. Prolactin has been shown to affect both inflammation (in both positive and negative roles) and sex hormones. As you mentioned above with your homeostasis example, if prolactin is decreasing the amount of T in your system this can lead to an up-regulation of receptors as they try to compensate for this lowered amount over enough time. Probable, but not substantiated.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Cool stuff Brains, that's actually the view I am veering towards as well, it's cool we meet on this one :)

Oliver Olmos

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is everyone posting without trying to answer the original question?

It is a fact that DHT causes hair loss, but not to every man. It is also a fact that after ejaculation (regardless of through sex or masturbation) more Testosterone is converted to DHT. The original question is: when exactly?

I'm 31 and I've been losing hair after I turned 25. Not too long ago I realized that if I stop ejaculating for more than 10 days a lot of hair starts to grow again. Perhaps I should consider breaking up with my girlfriend in order to get all my hair back.

For people who have experienced the same as me, we are wondering if having sex without ejaculation prevents the creation of DHT or if it still gets created at some point.

abcdefg

Reaction score
If masturbation does anything it raises T levels. It does not do anything do to DHT directly. Its a pointless discussion though its not going to change your hair loss. The best anyone can tell you is go read some papers on it. No one can explain pages worth of studies in a few sentences.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
The title of the post is " Exacty when is DHT formed?"

for us could be better ask for DHT in hair.
I think that DHT apears in hairs in a autonomous form, independent of blood vessels. Pilosebaceous unit (hair) can make its own hormones, then what happen with the actual theory of androgenetic alopecia? Sebaceous gland need DHT to be active and boy/girls have sebum in scalp hairs a lot of years before puberty.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
About the relationship between ejaculation and hair loss...

IMG_3395.JPG

IMG_3396.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

Greetings from James, Rocco (a self proclaimed self-Addict), John

dunno

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People take steroids without losing hair either. If you're not genetically predisposed to it, you can do anything. Doesnt mean certain lifestyle habits wont make it better or worse.