Evidence: Testosterone (not DHT) causing male pattern baldness!!!!!!!

mattam

Reaction score
Thanks to Red Rose -- see below abstract he found...

http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/138/1/356

Essentially, in vitro study of follicle cell of monkey indicated that Testosterone is responsible for inhibiting hair follicle cell growth.

Anyone interested in more details of my hypothesis and some discussions see another thread with subject "T (not just DHT) causing male pattern baldness"

Would be good if we can find more scientific evidence to support/dispute this so we can be more informed consumer of DHT inhibitor...

Minox_Baby

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that could be my problem. I've been on finasteride for 4 1/2 months and for about two months I was itching all over my body. Thats gone now but I've noticed increased body hair and little sharp hairs on the back of my hand. I've been shedding like crazy as well. Could the increased body hair be caused by increased testosterone in my body, which in turn could be making me perpetually shed? I've tried decreasing my finasteride intake but the hairs are still growing. I started finasteride before about a year ago for 4 months and I was absolotely fine. No sides. A good responder. I stopped for two weeks,started again and been on it ever since. Could that two weeks break messed my hormones up?

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This does not surprise me.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If its Testost. that is also causing male pattern baldness than its unstoppable??? unless we find a topical T blocker on the scalp right?

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Gees guys, although this all sounds plausible, I have my doubts. My main reason...guys with LOTS of Testosterone have LOTS of thick hair! IMO.

mattam

Reaction score
Greg1 said:
Gees guys, although this all sounds plausible, I have my doubts. My main reason...guys with LOTS of Testosterone have LOTS of thick hair! IMO.

See my other thread.

My hypothesis is that... in SOME men or in CERTAIN area of the scalp, male pattern baldness/hairloss is caused by Testosterone instead of (or in addition to) DHT. And this is genetic.

SO....it obviously doesn't mean that men full of T will lose their hair. It's just that genetically, they are not susceptible to either DHT or T.

Whereas some of us do...unfortunately to BOTH and not just to DHT.

Got it?????

ecs

Reaction score
Minox_Baby said:
is their any way to lower testosterone safely and cheaply?

castration :D

seriously, there are so many guys who have got their sex change operation, some ppl should do some research to see whether they have hairloss

once a guy cut his balls, he is not a male no more and MALE pattern baldness should not be an issue to the subject, sensible enough..

Zen2Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually I think there were studies done (I could be wrong...) that showed that if a man was castrated AFTER male pattern baldness began, it did not completely stop.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ecs said:
Minox_Baby said:
is their any way to lower testosterone safely and cheaply?

castration :D

seriously, there are so many guys who have got their sex change operation, some ppl should do some research to see whether they have hairloss

once a guy cut his balls, he is not a male no more and MALE pattern baldness should not be an issue to the subject, sensible enough..

what if it backfired?......they get female pattern baldness?

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You dont become a Female when you cut off your balls ... its not like you grow a vagina or anything.....................just have no balls

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
mattam said:

Essentially, in vitro study of follicle cell of monkey indicated that Testosterone is responsible for inhibiting hair follicle cell growth.

How do you know that it's testosterone specifically which was causing the hairgrowth inhibition in that study? How do you know it wasn't the result of the testosterone being converted to DHT by 5a-reductase? :wink:

Bryan

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
mattam said:

How do you know that it's testosterone specifically which was causing the hairgrowth inhibition in that study? How do you know it wasn't the result of the testosterone being converted to DHT by 5a-reductase? :wink:

Bryan

which was exactly what i was thinking......Dontt ell me monkeys dont produce DHT afterall in the study its stated they very closely resemble humans....

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I _guarantee_ you that monkeys produce DHT. The early studies of finasteride for hairloss were conducted on stumptailed macaques, and those critters react to finasteride the same way that humans do! :wink:

Bryan

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I _guarantee_ you that monkeys produce DHT. The early studies of finasteride for hairloss were conducted on stumptailed macaques, and those critters react to finasteride the same way that humans do! :wink:

Bryan

Their Penis' shrank?

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score
hairschmair said:
Bryan said:

Bryan

Their Penis' shrank?
They grew wings.

mattam

Reaction score
Quote from the Article Red Rose Found

"....Testosterone can bind to AR after diffusing through the plasma membrane; it can also be metabolized intracellularly by 5-reductase to 5-dihydrotestosterone, which can also bind and activate the AR (26). One possibility is that the androgen-AR complexes may directly repress the production and/or secretion of soluble mitogenic substances. Another possibility is that new inhibitory substances may be induced by androgen-AR complexes in bald frontal dermal papilla cells which may then inhibit proliferation of epithelial cells of hair follicles."

AR in this article refers to Androgen Receptor in hair follicle.

Notice that article mention both T and DHT can bind to Androgen Receptor in hair follicle.

Therefore, this partially support my hypothesis that T (in addition to DHT), can potentially cause hair loss.

And like I said, if Dutasteride cannot even slowdown hairloss in some men (with its 95% suppression of DHT), then this definitely points to the fact that T (or some other derivatives or other androgen) causes male pattern baldness.