BadHairDecade

Reaction score
it has for me :D

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
it has for me :D

I started minoxidil to treat my frontal hairline back in 1994, I was 16. I used Rogaine 2% for 3 years and in that 3 years it grew a whopping one hair on my frontal hairline/forehead. It was kinda funny to watch this lone hair grow.. it ended up falling out.

jetsman5ian

Reaction score
hey, thomas, maybe if you had tried using a stronger minoxidil mixture u might have grown more hairs, that one hair might have been a sign minoxidil would have worked if it had a stronger concentration. . .?

any thoughts anyone?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I'm sorry it hasn't worked for you guys. Wow 16 and on minoxidil that must have sucked..Were you using it it 2x a day. Then again the study mainly showed 5% minoxidil 2x a day being effective on the frontal areas of the scalp in 51% of test subjects from what i can recall.

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
I'm sorry it hasn't worked for you guys. Wow 16 and on minoxidil that must have sucked..Were you using it it 2x a day. Then again the study mainly showed 5% minoxidil 2x a day being effective on the frontal areas of the scalp in 51% of test subjects from what i can recall.

Yea it did suck, I started going bald as soon as I hit puberty. In the beginning I started with 2% (that was the strongest avilable from my Dr. back then) Then I switched to 5% when it came out in stores, used it for about 6 months.. Nothing happened in the front. I used it 2X a day everyday.. Then used in in conjunction with finasteride when that came out..Nothing grew after 1 year.. Then realized that over the past 3 1/2 years I had spent so much money on products that I could have just had an hair transplant, so that is what I finally did at age 19... BTW, minoxidil did stop my hair from falling out for the first 7 months or so then became useless and my hairline receded rapidly, I don't know why I stayed on it so long.

Redbone

Reaction score
That is BS Bad, look at Dr. Lee's studies- your chances of growing hair on the frontal lobes of your head are grim at best. He leads no one to believe that it is easy to re-grow hair on the frontal region, and even goes as far as to say you probably wont have good results. I believe something like 16 or 20% were able to grow significant hair in that region.

Are you sure your not halucinating?? Because as a verteran of the hair loss game I know as do others that re-growth on the frontal region is next to impossible, certainly not enough to make a difference.

infact all manufacturers of hair loss supplements Propecia, Xandrox, minoxidil state that frontal hair growth is unlikely.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Red I was just quoting the study from the link. 51% showed regrowth. Significant regrowth is another story and I think was around 19%. Did you read the artilce I linked too? As far as my progress no I'm not halucinating at all, No need to take a jab at me by saying that either. Click on my regimen and look at the pics . But I am on The big 3 so finasteride in combination with 5% minoxidil has done wonders for me. I too am a veteran with male pattern baldness going on 11 years and under 1 year of treatment.

The reason why the manufacturers claim that it's only proven to work on the vertex is because that's the only place it was tested. Being a veteran of the hairloss game I would assume you know that already. It's also mentioned in the article as well.

BHD

Petchsky

Reaction score
Good article. Be great if you could get hold of the photos it mentioned, i tried to no avail.

By my own experience i can vouch for minoxidil's capabilities for regrowing frontal hair and in my case the sides. Recently my bathroom ligh bulb went, so i put a new one in, only this time it was a 100w instead of the 60w which was in before, lifting my hair up to get a look at my no more receeding patches to find even more vellus hair growing in away from the current hairline, and this is 18 months since starting.

Maybe i am just a freak of nature where minoxidil is concerned but i just wanted to add that to the thread.

:)

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
By my own experience i can vouch for minoxidil's capabilities for regrowing frontal hair and in my case the sides. :)

Good to hear :D

Green Soap

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil is working for me on every area it hits. I cover my whole scalp with that 1ml and as far as my front it is getting more and more solid.

viperfish

Reaction score
BHD,
51% effectiveness at doing what on the hairline?? Maintaining or regrowth?? Minoxidil is what 28% effective at growing hair on the vertex??

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Bruce,
Rogaine is just one of the brand names for minoxidil.

Viperfish...Your question was answered in the article. Here's a quote from the link I posted

Results at 48 weeks (study conclusion) show that visible, photographically evident improvements were seen in the frontal scalp regions of 51 percent of men using 5 percent minoxidil, 42 percent using 2 percent minoxidil, and 13 percent of placebo users. Among these men, moderate to great increases in hair growth were seen in the frontal scalp regions of 19 percent of men using 5 percent minoxidil, 10 percent using 2 percent minoxidil, and 3 percent of placebo users.

Not sure what you meant about the vertex portion of your question. :?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Yup. That'll work :) Be sure to use it 2x/day

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
brucergoldberg said:
so if my hair falls out, new hair will grow according to the box, but then if i stop using it im screwed?

In theory , yes.