Everyone Is Complaining About Lack Or Research, Why Don't We Change That?

Would you donate to a non-profit organization dedicated to finding a cure for baldness?

• Yes. Shut up and take my money.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Yes. But to a limited extent.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • No, I lost all hope.

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's no secret that men suffering from hair loss spend billions every year on products those don't work at all. I'm not talking about proven to work medication, I'm talking about all the shampoos and lotions, etc those still manage to sell to the unwary average individual.

So the question is. Why don't we stop whining and start doing something? Over 25% of men suffer from hair loss and it's not easy whether you are 20 or 80. Most of these people will be ready to fund an effort for a cure. So why don't we just start a public fundraiser boldly called "AloCure" and start spreading awareness of all of the fake products in an effort to redirect their undeserved revenue to a real effort that could potentially end our suffering?

Why do we have to wait for 10-50 years when we can just throw billions at the problem and have it solved in 2 years? I might seem insane to some right now, but it's insane people who run this world. It's insane people who achieve something, it's insane people who make a difference!

I have a dream and that dream is a cure for hair loss once and for all. A permanent cure, affordable to a penniless homeless man in Chile or Nigeria as much as it is affordable to well off men. I believe for good reasons that money has the power to solve any problem. If a scientist has a 0.01% chance of finding a cure then how about 10000 scientists working on it? Let's hire 10000 scientists just because we can!

If there's no known organization out there that's dedicated enough to "reducing hair loss suck" let's start one and start the biggest fundraiser in history. Our target: $50b insane? That's why it might work.

If someone is ready to go through the legal procedures or pretty much any type of effort needed for such organization and effort please come forward. I myself would do the best I can, I'm an experienced developer and ready to build a private website for free.

Most potentially useful research field: CRISPR, let's eradicate this curse from the gene pool once and for all!

I made the following banner just out of excitement, this is my fighting spirit refusing to give up and refusing to let others go through my frustration. Who is ready to join me and pursue the dream? Who is willing to be insane?

alocure.png

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why research takes years.

FDA

Phase 1 - Several months
Phase 2 - Several months - 2 years
Phase 3 - 1 to 4 years
Phase 4 - no time frame

Are we super optimistic, then it could be done within 2 years (who knows how much several months means), but then when we are talking about leading edge research, you don't have so much research to rely on. So 2 years its a bit too optimistic for me.

raising $50b requires A LOT of people. And who owns the rights afterwards?

If people gives $100 each it requires 500 million people. The amount of people needed makes its not feasible. But if you ask for MORE money from each person, then people again want something in return. how many can give $10.000 without attachments ?

Its way to unrealistic.

And then we have crispr. It still haven't been proven it can be used on adults without it being attacked but peoples own immune system.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I doubt your sincerity. How would I know you are legitimate? But BTW I am penniless man living alone in India. I have nothing to offer. In have already shred minded due to hairloss.

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, who decides how to invest the money is a big problem. That's why I said organization instead of an individual. In fact, stakeholders or rather donators can have weighted votes. Those who donated most get the biggest vote weight.

Funding one research is a horrible idea. This would work if we fund multiple research teams working on multiple ideas at the same time. We don't want to wait 5 years for research only for it to go bust. We want to maximize success probability in the shortest time frame possible.

$50b is just a very optimistic figure, shoot higher to get high. In reality once something like this starts producing meaningful research more and more people will hear about it and donate, even $1m would kickstart it.

Now regarding the trial periods stretching for years to get FDA approval. Well, we don't need FDA approval to release medication. Black market will do the trick until FDA approves it, we just need something that damn works no matter what unknown health risks it has it's up to the consumer to take the risk based on how desperate they are. Would this be using their desperation? Nope, not when we simply make the research public and pretty much any company can manufacture it. We don't have any financial gain, we just want the people to decide whether or not they'd take the risk not the FDA. And if someone takes the risk and wants to sue someone for any negative effects perceived, they cannot sue the researchers; publishing is not a crime. So it's the companies manufacturing whatever substance/device it is that takes legal responsibility. Lots of Chinese manufacturers don't give a single f*** about FDA so problem solved.

I might sound ruthless, but this is what the problem demands. If I could give my life in exchange for hair loss to disappear, I'd do it in a heartbeat that's how dedicated I'm and I bet there are others like me. I HATE HAIR LOSS!!!!

My Regimen
Reaction score
And then we have crispr. It still haven't been proven it can be used on adults without it being attacked but peoples own immune system.

This is exactly what I mean. There ARE people who are ready willing and able to be test subjects for a CRISPR that eliminates hair loss from their DNA. It's a matter of overly strict regulations preventing the scientists from carrying proper experiments in time. Soooo let's just do it in a country that doesn't care on people who are ready to take the risk! Sign me up first!

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Now regarding the trial periods stretching for years to get FDA approval. Well, we don't need FDA approval to release medication. Black market will do the trick until FDA approves it, we just need something that damn works no matter what unknown health risks it has it's up to the consumer to take the risk based on how desperate they are. Would this be using their desperation? Nope, not when we simply make the research public and pretty much any company can manufacture it. We don't have any financial gain, we just want the people to decide whether or not they'd take the risk not the FDA. And if someone takes the risk and wants to sue someone for any negative effects perceived, they cannot sue the researchers; publishing is not a crime. So it's the companies manufacturing whatever substance/device it is that takes legal responsibility. Lots of Chinese manufacturers don't give a single f*** about FDA so problem solved.

you lost your marbles really.

desperation is never pretty, it clearly shows.

you want to have $50b but no financial gain.

How many money do you yourself have on hand to start up with? Or is it everyone else that need to come up with the money?

noveau22

My Regimen
Reaction score
i like how very proactive some of you really are. I just don't like the fact that I don't know where all the money is going. There has to be some kind of incentive for the scientists aka profit. Everyone has a limited time and the average person doesn't really suffer from hair loss. There more important things to focus on which is why the hair loss cure can take "who knows when?"

I was thinking more about donating money to a good company who is already looking for the hair loss cure to speed up the process like Shiseido? In my opinion, starting from scratch from a non-profit is very difficult.

max310

Established Member
Reaction score
One point I have to stress is that a ton of people will not benefit at all from crisper even if it’s available because they had a hair transplant and their existing follicles have already been destroyed. So crisper will not help them. Nor any other solution that doesn’t create a new follicle.

jjamerson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Show me the science that holds promise and I might offer some funding. I’m not funding anyone based on theories and starting from scratch by looking at follicles through a microscope.

Your idea sounds more like a cult following. Pay your dues to support the movement!

clams

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're pitching a major pharmaceutical company that's also a charity. Bill and Melinda Gates do that for African children lmao. Good luck man I'm sure there is 50 billion dollars worth of sympathy out there for depressed white guys.

My Regimen
Reaction score
desperation is never pretty, it clearly shows.

you want to have $50b but no financial gain.

Yes, the whole point is to be non-profit, this is to be packed by men who suffered/are suffering from hair loss for the sake of their own fulfillment and sense of purpose. Currently, I have no visible bald spots and I completely halted my hair loss so this is more driven by agony rather than desperation. I don't want anyone to ever go through what I went through. This is a problem affecting over 60% of the male population by 35, that's roughly 30% of the world population or almost 2 billion people so there are no investors breathing down your neck for profit it's just public funding driven by spreading awareness. The initial cost is for advertisement then it's a snowball.

There has to be some kind of incentive for the scientists aka profit.

Their incentive is their paycheck. R&D has nothing to do with profit the final results can be monetized or not it's up to the owner of the intellectual rights.

One point I have to stress is that a ton of people will not benefit at all from crisper even if it’s available because they had a hair transplant and their existing follicles have already been destroyed.

Yes but that's one path. Also, CRISP has a chance to eradicate the problem for mankind forever that's the allure of it.

Your idea sounds more like a cult following. Pay your dues to support the movement!

Yes and no. It's about collecting billions of dollars otherwise wasted on useless products which claim to be a cure and actually spending it on finding a cure. Now how exactly the team would do research and the intricate details, that's what we find out by interviewing and hiring good CEO and CTO we are not experts.

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're pitching a major pharmaceutical company that's also a charity. Bill and Melinda Gates do that for African children lmao. Good luck man I'm sure there is 50 billion dollars worth of sympathy out there for depressed white guys.

I will mention something from my last reply again here:

It's about collecting billions of dollars otherwise wasted on useless products which claim to be a cure and actually spending it on finding a cure.

No one will donate for the "charity" helping depressed white men other than they themselves. Let's tell everyone that no, nothing works besides the proven effects of anti-androgens so that money you were going to spend on the new fancy helmet just damn put it to a good cause!

clams

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will mention something from my last reply again here:

It's about collecting billions of dollars otherwise wasted on useless products which claim to be a cure and actually spending it on finding a cure.

No one will donate for the "charity" helping depressed white men other than they themselves. Let's tell everyone that no, nothing works besides the proven effects of anti-androgens so that money you were going to spend on the new fancy helmet just damn put it to a good cause!

There's obviously not billions of dollars in that you're way off. You can't just start a crispr research company, they don't even understand the genetics anyway. I guess if you wanted to actually do something you could try to find some researchers to raise money for, but I doubt there's even the money for that. Right now you just have this dumb idea about a pharmaceutical company that you'll never have the money to build. I hope no one is dumb waste any money on this. It's the same as any useless product.