Ever been ripped off shopping online before?

HughJass

Reaction score
It seems i've been bilked out of nearly a thousand dollars by a company in New York. What a nightmare it is trying to sort it out.

Anybody ever been ripped off online before? Were you able to retrieve your cash or take any action against the perpetrators? particularly if they were overseas....

HughJass

Reaction score
The company is a retailer for electronics goods- mainly pro audio stuff. I ordered some parts from them last August - I had to wait a long time as some of the things I wanted were on backorder (so they claim), they never kept me updated, were slow with emails and basically a pain in the arse. The last successful contact I had from them was two months ago when they told me my stuff had been shipped to me. It doesn't take that long for stuff to arrive here from the US, it's usually 3 weeks max. I've contacted them dozens of times over the past 4 weeks and they haven't responded. The phone just rings out and they don't answer emails.

Google turned up some other unhappy customers complaining of the exact same problem.

The Gardener

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
It seems i've been bilked out of nearly a thousand dollars by a company in New York.
That's becoming quite a common thing these says.

The Better Business Bureau is normally who to turn to in cases like this. Below is the URL to the NY BBB chapter, I suggest you do a little manouvering around and see if anyone else has complained, and if so, are they taking any collective action:
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Very surprisingly - never. I've bought several hundred things from the world over. I only maybe had one problem. I bought a robot turret that fires foam missiles at anyone automatically if they open my door. It's called the Room Defender and it was on eBay for £10, normally £25. But I couldn't get it working, either I broke it or it wasn't working. Reminds me I always wanted to get one again... :whistle:

HughJass

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
aussieavodart said:
It seems i've been bilked out of nearly a thousand dollars by a company in New York.
That's becoming quite a common thing these says.

The Better Business Bureau is normally who to turn to in cases like this. Below is the URL to the NY BBB chapter, I suggest you do a little manouvering around and see if anyone else has complained, and if so, are they taking any collective action:
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/

Cassin said:
I would try emailing their local police department.

thanks chaps

I contacted consumer protection (in America) and they put me through to the attorney generals office in New York. My credit card company might be able to get the money back for me as well.

According to the Better Business Bureau, this company has pissed off quite a few people

ali777

Reaction score
looks like you are on the right track there...

I used to have fraud protection on my credit card. I don't know how exactly it works, but it cost me $10-20 a year. I always presumed if something went wrong, I would get all or some of my money back. Maybe the credit card company can look at it???

The Gardener

Reaction score
What a bi tch... sorry to hear about that, Aussie. I hope the few avenues you have found to try to get some recourse bear fruit.

Cassin

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
I contacted consumer protection (in America) and they put me through to the attorney generals office in New York. My credit card company might be able to get the money back for me as well.

According to the Better Business Bureau, this company has pissed off quite a few people

Seems to me you're either going to get your money back or help burying them.

barcafan

Reaction score
Appeal to your credit card company.

They WILL Reimburse you if you tell them all the facts and make a big stink. It's pennies to them.

You aren't making sh*t up, you were defrauded.

powersam

Reaction score
Easiest way is to contact credit card company and they will do a chargeback. It is actually very hard to steal someones money online now, bank transfers and western union orders are hard to get back, oh and e-gold, but most other forms of payment are very secure.

You most likely also have automatic fraud protection (insurance) on your credit card.

Cassin

Reaction score
Powersam is right....

I just recalled I have ripped off pretty hard before by a series of transactions in the $10 to $30 range. I remember just looking at my account one day and saw a handful of them. I called my bank and had to fill out some fraud paperwork and wait 10 days for a fraud refund. Pretty big hassle and it was no guarantee I was going to get my money back altho I eventually did.

Anyway...fraud department at my bank told me to never use a check card online and to always use a credit card (note paypal has a credit card generator now which is awesome.)

powersam

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Powersam is right....

I just recalled I have ripped off pretty hard before by a series of transactions in the $10 to $30 range. I remember just looking at my account one day and saw a handful of them. I called my bank and had to fill out some fraud paperwork and wait 10 days for a fraud refund. Pretty big hassle and it was no guarantee I was going to get my money back altho I eventually did.

Anyway...fraud department at my bank told me to never use a check card online and to always use a credit card (note paypal has a credit card generator now which is awesome.)

they have a credit card generator???

Cassin

Reaction score
Yeah its awesome.

It takes money from your bank account and processes it like a credit card so if you're buying from a website that only accepts credit cards you're set. I use it all the time.

powersam

Reaction score
only available to the yanks and your Canadian brothers.

I'm going to call the UN.