Evening primrose oil is good sh*t, second recovery and back on it for good.

Ticken

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i took some omega 3 fish oil supplements last year . containing evening primose oil and i can say i had a sudden growth of hair in a few days

I agree there is something with primose oil
May I ask, did you continue with evening primrose oil after getting that initial sudden growth? If so, did the regrowth continue?

Last edited:

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends on the dosage, I accidentally bought an EPO product that includes vitamin e, which somewhat contradicts the purpose of epo because too much vitamin e can increase progesterone. In general too much vitamin e can induce hair loss, which is not what I want.

Check the branding and ingredients of your supplements to make sure they don't use tocopherol or "vitamin e" as a base.

The brand "nature's bounty" IIRC does not contain tocopherol as a base and I think the dose for those gel capsules was 500mg or less, the brand I have now is 1000mg, which I take once every other day because of the tocopherol. I am actually going to go out and get a different brand soon because of that. Normally I take it in runs, like every day for a few days then give my body a rest, because it really can soften your skin and I don't want it to be -too- soft. I'm not out to feminize myself, just not prematurely age and look like sh*t.

I am very much in tune with my body so I just intuitively know how much to take, and you are going to have to figure that out as well.

With every single supplement and hormone I take, you cannot accept a baseline dosage because if you keep taking it at that dose even if your body is telling you to stop, you will do more harm than good.

For example, I have to take dessicated thyroid hormone, and the main drawback with dessicated thyroid is getting each tablet to a clinical dose of hormone, which is more difficult than synthetic thyroid hormone which is f*****g useless to me and one half of my family who all have thyroid problems.

You can take the artificial sh*t like clockwork and everyone on my mother's side of the family feels and looked bad until one by one they all got off it and started taking dessicated thyroid and their health just magically turned around.

So recently I took a dose and it had way more thyroid hormone than normal (which just happens when compounding a natural hormone product like that) and I got horrific headaches for like half a day until the overdose wore off.

You are going to have to experiment and listen to what your body is telling you while you're taking these things, it is going to be a lifelong responsibility to manage your body's hormones and wellbeing, especially if you're at risk for losing hair.

But it's not all bad, and I am here to give help to people who need any advice getting started, I like being able to help people with this stuff, I don't want to see people get lost and give up.
Depends on the dosage, I accidentally bought an EPO product that includes vitamin e, which somewhat contradicts the purpose of epo because too much vitamin e can increase progesterone. In general too much vitamin e can induce hair loss, which is not what I want.

Check the branding and ingredients of your supplements to make sure they don't use tocopherol or "vitamin e" as a base.

The brand "nature's bounty" IIRC does not contain tocopherol as a base and I think the dose for those gel capsules was 500mg or less, the brand I have now is 1000mg, which I take once every other day because of the tocopherol. I am actually going to go out and get a different brand soon because of that. Normally I take it in runs, like every day for a few days then give my body a rest, because it really can soften your skin and I don't want it to be -too- soft. I'm not out to feminize myself, just not prematurely age and look like sh*t.

I am very much in tune with my body so I just intuitively know how much to take, and you are going to have to figure that out as well.

With every single supplement and hormone I take, you cannot accept a baseline dosage because if you keep taking it at that dose even if your body is telling you to stop, you will do more harm than good.

For example, I have to take dessicated thyroid hormone, and the main drawback with dessicated thyroid is getting each tablet to a clinical dose of hormone, which is more difficult than synthetic thyroid hormone which is f*****g useless to me and one half of my family who all have thyroid problems.

You can take the artificial sh*t like clockwork and everyone on my mother's side of the family feels and looked bad until one by one they all got off it and started taking dessicated thyroid and their health just magically turned around.

So recently I took a dose and it had way more thyroid hormone than normal (which just happens when compounding a natural hormone product like that) and I got horrific headaches for like half a day until the overdose wore off.

You are going to have to experiment and listen to what your body is telling you while you're taking these things, it is going to be a lifelong responsibility to manage your body's hormones and wellbeing, especially if you're at risk for losing hair.

But it's not all bad, and I am here to give help to people who need any advice getting started, I like being able to help people with this stuff, I don't want to see people get lost and give up.

Just to confirm, is the Natures Bounty - Evening Primrose Oil that I attached the exact same one you are referring to? All I can find is 1000mg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211107_210925.jpg
    Screenshot_20211107_210925.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 179

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
May I ask, did you continued with evening primrose oil after getting that initial sudden growth? If so, did the regrowth continue?
The regrowth remained stable for many months until i stopped it. . Lost some ground again .

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In fact my first post here i did talk about the EPA DHA and GLA combination. This treatment gave me a bit more improvement in hair like 30 % . Not my imagination as my family member even commented there is improvement

Search my profile to the earliest posts. In fact anything u take if it creates some finasteride effects even if mild it means the treatment is working

Post in thread 'My Observation Of Effects Of Gla On A 70 Year Old' https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...s-of-gla-on-a-70-year-old.126004/post-1854526

Last edited:

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another thing is that coconut or food containing natural coconut also does help

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

is there any studies to show this tocopherol is harmful? cos i i just oredred some pills which says "mixed tocopherol"

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
is there any studies to show this tocopherol is harmful? cos i i just oredred some pills which says "mixed tocopherol"
Mixed tocopherols are ok, taking only one tocopherol like alpha-tocopherol is bad because body needs all from the mix and taking one in high doses blocks the absorbtion of other.

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All I can tell you is that there are two main supplements I took when I went from having extremely diffuse thinning back in 2007 to very thick hair that I had back in my teenaged years, and that was a concentrated beta sitosterol complex, and evening primrose oil.

By process of elimination I can determine for myself after returning to beta sitosterol, that even talking half a gel capsule made me feel hypo-hormonal to the point where my skin looked dry and aged, and my hair did not improve. Beta sitosterol definitely knocks down your DHT, I know because I've felt it.

However recently I recalled I was using EPO specifically back when my hair really really started growing back, and not to mention the fact that my skin also looked great back then as well, and lo and behold, not only is my hair maintaining, but I am experiencing slow and steady recovery and my skin has gone from looking dry and aged to like I was 30 again, in which I looked quite good and was commonly mistaken for being in my early 20s.

I have taken borage oil and other GLA complexes and I think there is something specific to evening primrose oil that does something beneficial to the hair and skin, I'm so exhausted from the stress of experiencing a second sudden hair loss event that I have wrestled with for a good year and a half, that I'm just happy that it is in fact making me look young and healthy again, and helping my hair maintain and even grow.

Incidentally ever since I got on the estriol and evening primrose oil, I can tolerate taking a LOT more beta sitosterol further improving my hair regrowth (go figure).

I have the same observations regarding the skin. Feels smooth and hydrated I can feel the moisture

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All I can tell you is that there are two main supplements I took when I went from having extremely diffuse thinning back in 2007 to very thick hair that I had back in my teenaged years, and that was a concentrated beta sitosterol complex, and evening primrose oil.

By process of elimination I can determine for myself after returning to beta sitosterol, that even talking half a gel capsule made me feel hypo-hormonal to the point where my skin looked dry and aged, and my hair did not improve. Beta sitosterol definitely knocks down your DHT, I know because I've felt it.

However recently I recalled I was using EPO specifically back when my hair really really started growing back, and not to mention the fact that my skin also looked great back then as well, and lo and behold, not only is my hair maintaining, but I am experiencing slow and steady recovery and my skin has gone from looking dry and aged to like I was 30 again, in which I looked quite good and was commonly mistaken for being in my early 20s.

I have taken borage oil and other GLA complexes and I think there is something specific to evening primrose oil that does something beneficial to the hair and skin, I'm so exhausted from the stress of experiencing a second sudden hair loss event that I have wrestled with for a good year and a half, that I'm just happy that it is in fact making me look young and healthy again, and helping my hair maintain and even grow.

Incidentally ever since I got on the estriol and evening primrose oil, I can tolerate taking a LOT more beta sitosterol further improving my hair regrowth (go figure).
So in your opinion primrose oil is better than borage ?

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
May I ask, did you continue with evening primrose oil after getting that initial sudden growth? If so, did the regrowth continue?
i would say it maintained at that level for a few months than i changed regime and noticed the negative change

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't wan tot take pics as I don't have any before pics to compare with. But of cos I know how my own hair behaves and grows . So based on that. I don't think I am imagining things. it's best to receive feedback from others around u on your progress

inmyhead

Reaction score
Funny, but after two weeks of this I started getting itchy nipples and had to drop (already on finasteride). Hard for it to be placebo, as the skin around nipples was red and sensitive.

Wil try to restart in few weeks.