Evening primrose oil is good sh*t, second recovery and back on it for good.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you can keep your DHT levels in check, and you can stand to not be extremely lean for the sake of nice skin and hair, it can do wonders for both. My first hairloss recovery did involve evening primrose oil, but it also involved using concentrated beta sitosterol and other sterols to mitigate DHT. It was hard to figure out what exactly was doing what, but I've been back on the "epo" for a little over a month and my skin and hair have been improving and seem to have a synergistic effect with the estriol, which I might add. The evening primrose oil seems to cause more sides than the estriol does, which is hilarious.

I've gained a bit of weight because of the epo, but that's ok, it's really improved my skin, I'm starting to look young for my age again, my face has filled out and I don't look as dry and angular as when my testosterone levels were flying uncontrolled.

Consider integrating it into your regimen if you have a solid means of controlling DHT.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I never said anything about EPO lowering DHT, it simply makes your hair grow like a mofo and your skin feel and look smooth and more hydrated dramatically improving regeneration, this is because of gamma linoleic acid and the results for me have been very noticeable. If you have rough, dry poorly hydrated skin, you're much more likely to experience skin and follicular inflammation which is terrible for inducing and maintaining hair growth long term.

Yes, brief periods of "good" inflammation are good for stimulating hair growth, but I know this from experience regrowing my hair after a significant loss of it previously, that culling inflammation will get more of your hair back than having it ever present on your scalp at all times.

There are plenty of studies that prove that beta sitosterol lowers DHT, in fact one which proved that it lowered DHT and subjectively in the study's participants perceived fewer side effects than taking finasteride.

I now know the key to beating both finasteride and beta sitosterol's side effects if any, is by making sure your estrogen levels can back up a loss of DHT, if not you will feel menopausal.

Last edited:

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Supplement, it would make your hair disgustingly sticky, it needs to be metabolized in the body.

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
GLA which is found in evening promise is 5 alpha reductase blocker but no one knows how strong it is in vivo. We only know that in vitro it is blocking 5 reductase in the liver strongly (Study > "Inhibition of steroid 5x-reductase by specific aliphatic unsaturated fatty acids" ). Plus evening promise oil was used in the study for hair growth on scalp for men and for unwanted body hair in women and in both cases it shows efficiency so its has some antiandrogens activity( study > "treatment of male pattern baldness and of unwanted hair growth"). Plus also taking GLA might be a good way to increase PGE1 in the body, since most studies who uses GLA supplement notice increase PGE1 in serum and PGE1 have the same or even better affinity for PGE2 receptor. I'm currently using topical blackcurrant oil with sandalore since it has more GLA(plus it containt ALA) and contain vitamin e which helps preserve the GLA, I just hit 2 months of using it so it is too early to tell for me if its working or not, thinking actually of switching to oral because its might increase PGE1 better than topical.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All I can tell you is that there are two main supplements I took when I went from having extremely diffuse thinning back in 2007 to very thick hair that I had back in my teenaged years, and that was a concentrated beta sitosterol complex, and evening primrose oil.

By process of elimination I can determine for myself after returning to beta sitosterol, that even talking half a gel capsule made me feel hypo-hormonal to the point where my skin looked dry and aged, and my hair did not improve. Beta sitosterol definitely knocks down your DHT, I know because I've felt it.

However recently I recalled I was using EPO specifically back when my hair really really started growing back, and not to mention the fact that my skin also looked great back then as well, and lo and behold, not only is my hair maintaining, but I am experiencing slow and steady recovery and my skin has gone from looking dry and aged to like I was 30 again, in which I looked quite good and was commonly mistaken for being in my early 20s.

I have taken borage oil and other GLA complexes and I think there is something specific to evening primrose oil that does something beneficial to the hair and skin, I'm so exhausted from the stress of experiencing a second sudden hair loss event that I have wrestled with for a good year and a half, that I'm just happy that it is in fact making me look young and healthy again, and helping my hair maintain and even grow.

Incidentally ever since I got on the estriol and evening primrose oil, I can tolerate taking a LOT more beta sitosterol further improving my hair regrowth (go figure).

Ticken

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Incidentally ever since I got on the estriol and evening primrose oil, I can tolerate taking a LOT more beta sitosterol further improving my hair regrowth (go figure).

What brands of EPO and Beta Sitosterol were you finding good results with?

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using New Roots brand "Sterols and Sterolins" for over 10 years, and I credit that to being a major force behind my hair's dramatic recovery, but clearly, just like finasteride, other hormones must be active and abundant for regrowth to take place even when you mitigate DHT.

Any drugstore brand is fine for evening primrose oil, I've used many over the years.

maballack

My Regimen
Reaction score
All I can tell you is that there are two main supplements I took when I went from having extremely diffuse thinning back in 2007 to very thick hair that I had back in my teenaged years, and that was a concentrated beta sitosterol complex, and evening primrose oil.

By process of elimination I can determine for myself after returning to beta sitosterol, that even talking half a gel capsule made me feel hypo-hormonal to the point where my skin looked dry and aged, and my hair did not improve. Beta sitosterol definitely knocks down your DHT, I know because I've felt it.

However recently I recalled I was using EPO specifically back when my hair really really started growing back, and not to mention the fact that my skin also looked great back then as well, and lo and behold, not only is my hair maintaining, but I am experiencing slow and steady recovery and my skin has gone from looking dry and aged to like I was 30 again, in which I looked quite good and was commonly mistaken for being in my early 20s.

I have taken borage oil and other GLA complexes and I think there is something specific to evening primrose oil that does something beneficial to the hair and skin, I'm so exhausted from the stress of experiencing a second sudden hair loss event that I have wrestled with for a good year and a half, that I'm just happy that it is in fact making me look young and healthy again, and helping my hair maintain and even grow.

Hi Dogo,
Thanks for all your help.
Do you recommend taking the New Root Beta Sitosterol formula
Attached the product

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20201231-133421_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    SmartSelect_20201231-133421_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 244

Lurker otto

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dogo, do you get sexual sides with EPO? Loss of libido, watery semen, anything like that?
Why do you say that it cause more sides than estriol? What Kind of sides?

And it make your hair look thicker? Do you get some regrowth?
Finally, in what dosage?

Sorry for the questions, but i really want to try this

maballack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using New Roots brand "Sterols and Sterolins" for over 10 years, and I credit that to being a major force behind my hair's dramatic recovery, but clearly, just like finasteride, other hormones must be active and abundant for regrowth to take place even when you mitigate DHT.

Any drugstore brand is fine for evening primrose oil, I've used many over the years.
Yes absolutely, DHT is 10x more potent than Test, However both Hormones can attache to the Androgen receptor in the Follicule and transcripts the male pattern baldness signals.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dogo, do you get sexual sides with EPO? Loss of libido, watery semen, anything like that?
Why do you say that it cause more sides than estriol? What Kind of sides?

And it make your hair look thicker? Do you get some regrowth?
Finally, in what dosage?

Sorry for the questions, but i really want to try this

@DogoDiLaurentiis can you kindly respond to Lurkers message, I'd also like to know these details because I'm also interested in trying this after you created a thread saying it's so good but left us midway without the rest of the information

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Dogo,
Thanks for all your help.
Do you recommend taking the New Root Beta Sitosterol formula
Attached the product

You're more than welcome, I'm here to help people out as best I can.

This is the one I use and have used since about 2010.

The dosage for the version I take has varied a -lot- I used to be able to get away with taking one gel capsule or two per day, and ESPECIALLY depending on what you're eating, you have to understand that sterols themselves can actually bind to fats in your blood/digestive system, so if you are eating something greasy like a burger, you're going to have to step up your dosage to combat the anabolic effects of the fat.

Lately because my IGF-1 has been raised and I've now discovered that IGF-1 works in a cyclical fashion that androgens actually upregulate IGF-1 receptor activity, and IGF-1 upregulates androgen expression, and so until I get on metformin and possibly somatostatin, I have to take a crazy amount of beta sitosterol (sometimes like four a day depending on what I'm eating/how I'm feeling).

It is critical that you pay attention to how your body feels and what your skin feels like and how its behaving when you're trying to improve your hormones for hair growth.

Even though I have to take a lot of beta sitosterol, and they're like crazy big horse pills, I still feel 1000x better than taking propecia, there was a study done in which the reported side effects of beta sitosterol in the administered group were much less and lower than those taking propecia. It doesn't totally nuke your DHT out of the gate, but the more you take the better it works.

Also if you have cholesterol problems or issues with vascular damage from high platelets or cholesterol, beta sitosterol helps with both of those by acting as a blood thinner. Overall, beta sitosterol imo is one of natures miracle nutrients/medications, and proof that sometimes modern synthetic medicine is in fact not superior to what we can grow or harvest naturally.

Last edited:

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@DogoDiLaurentiis how much you take of EPO per day, do you split the dose with meals
Thanks

Depends on the dosage, I accidentally bought an EPO product that includes vitamin e, which somewhat contradicts the purpose of epo because too much vitamin e can increase progesterone. In general too much vitamin e can induce hair loss, which is not what I want.

Check the branding and ingredients of your supplements to make sure they don't use tocopherol or "vitamin e" as a base.

The brand "nature's bounty" IIRC does not contain tocopherol as a base and I think the dose for those gel capsules was 500mg or less, the brand I have now is 1000mg, which I take once every other day because of the tocopherol. I am actually going to go out and get a different brand soon because of that. Normally I take it in runs, like every day for a few days then give my body a rest, because it really can soften your skin and I don't want it to be -too- soft. I'm not out to feminize myself, just not prematurely age and look like sh*t.

I am very much in tune with my body so I just intuitively know how much to take, and you are going to have to figure that out as well.

With every single supplement and hormone I take, you cannot accept a baseline dosage because if you keep taking it at that dose even if your body is telling you to stop, you will do more harm than good.

For example, I have to take dessicated thyroid hormone, and the main drawback with dessicated thyroid is getting each tablet to a clinical dose of hormone, which is more difficult than synthetic thyroid hormone which is f*****g useless to me and one half of my family who all have thyroid problems.

You can take the artificial sh*t like clockwork and everyone on my mother's side of the family feels and looked bad until one by one they all got off it and started taking dessicated thyroid and their health just magically turned around.

So recently I took a dose and it had way more thyroid hormone than normal (which just happens when compounding a natural hormone product like that) and I got horrific headaches for like half a day until the overdose wore off.

You are going to have to experiment and listen to what your body is telling you while you're taking these things, it is going to be a lifelong responsibility to manage your body's hormones and wellbeing, especially if you're at risk for losing hair.

But it's not all bad, and I am here to give help to people who need any advice getting started, I like being able to help people with this stuff, I don't want to see people get lost and give up.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@DogoDiLaurentiis can you kindly respond to Lurkers message, I'd also like to know these details because I'm also interested in trying this after you created a thread saying it's so good but left us midway without the rest of the information

After taking quite a few things to lower my testosterone, my libido has gone down, but this is from basically wanting to f*** every single night, to wanting to do so once or twice a week. Having sex constantly is not great for your hair as it shocks your body with prolactin, and if you're not controlling that it can get out of control.

So yes, as expected in lowering my testosterone and DHT my libido has gone down, but now I can get some sleep at night without being awakened with this ridiculous need to bust off lest I can't get back to sleep again, that's how bad it was.

So I'm perfectly happy lowering my libido somewhat, high testosterone is going to do that to you, and lowering your testosterone absolutely will lower your libido, that's just how it works.

My semen has always been uncharacteristically thick so I wouldn't know about that, it does not seem like it has become watery, but I don't know why anyone would complain about it not having the consistency of oatmeal (which it has for me in the past).

Taking EPO itself has not done this, this is primarily from taking aggressive pulsed doses of red reishi and beta sitosterol in combination.

EPO more than anything for me just seems to enhance hair growth and skin hydration, but I'll bet if you took a ridiculously high dose of it you may see sexual side effects.

Also if you take EPO that is contained in a base of tocopherol, my theory would be that you wouldn't see any drop in libido at all, vitamin e lowers prolactin and every time I would take too much in the past my libido would skyrocket

Last edited:

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

i took some omega 3 fish oil supplements last year . containing evening primose oil and i can say i had a sudden growth of hair in a few days

I agree there is something with primose oil