Evaluation of DNA variants associated with androgenetic alopecia and their potential

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Androgenetic alopecia, known in men as male pattern baldness (male pattern baldness), is a very conspicuous condition that is particularly frequent among European men and thus contributes markedly to variation in physical appearance traits amongst Europeans. Recent studies have revealed multiple genes and polymorphisms to be associated with susceptibility to male pattern baldness. In this study, 50 candidate SNPs for androgenetic alopecia were analyzed in order to verify their potential to predict male pattern baldness. Significant associations were confirmed for 29 SNPs from chromosomes X, 1, 5, 7, 18 and 20. A simple 5-SNP prediction model and an extended 20-SNP model were developed based on a discovery panel of 305 males from various European populations fitting one of two distinct phenotype categories. The first category consisted of men below 50 years of age with significant baldness and the second; men aged 50 years or older lacking baldness. The simple model comprised the five best predictors: rs5919324 near AR, rs1998076 in the 20p11 region, rs929626 in EBF1, rs12565727 in TARDBP and rs756853 in HDAC9. The extended prediction model added 15 SNPs from five genomic regions that improved overall prevalence-adjusted predictive accuracy measured by area under the receiver characteristic operating curve (AUC). Both models were evaluated for predictive accuracy using a test set of 300 males reflecting the general European population. Applying a 65% probability threshold, high prediction sensitivity of 87.1% but low specificity of 42.4% was obtained in men aged <50 years. In men aged ≥50, prediction sensitivity was slightly lower at 67.7% while specificity reached 90%. Overall, the AUC=0.761 calculated for men at or above 50 years of age indicates these SNPs offer considerable potential for the application of genetic tests to predict male pattern baldness patterns, adding a highly informative predictive system to the emerging field of forensic analysis of externally visible characteristics

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4441445/

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
^ That doesn't really prove anything. There are brothers from the same mother and father who some of them go bald and others don't. It's all about what genes you pull.

If you're like me and there is baldness on both sides of the family then you're 99% ****ed.

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
The way I read this: there are multiple genetic abnormalities responsible for Androgenetic Alopecia. This would follow our casual observances of the wide variation of degrees and types of Androgenetic Alopecia. Also, perhaps even the reason why some treatments work for some and not for others, and all of the gray shades of efficacy between those extremes. So, maybe the future of treatments would include genetic testing to determine the genes expressed, followed by targeted treatment addressing them specifically. For now, the best move might still be the shotgun approach (big 3 etc.).

Moximus

Reaction score
I think the study has implications for those who don't know if they are going to suffer from male pattern baldness yet. Many of us wished we started treatments earlier than we did to diminsh the damages.

abcdefg

Reaction score
The fact men over 50 have no male pattern baldness pretty much proves male pattern baldness is not from aging alone. I dont know anyone at 50+ that has not aged. I still think in another 5 years significantly better stuff will exist and it will be less about whether your going to go bald and just whether you feel like preventing it or treating it. Since its always going to cost money some men might not care.
The only reason to care whether its in your future now is simply nothing can be done except prevention so you have to start early for any chance. In another 5 years that might be as much of an issue. Things like CB might carry less risk and you can just use it for fun to prevent before it ever happens even if you never get it.
We know genetically its awful hard to figure out because its polymorphic trait involving a bunch of genes.

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
So, androgen sensitivity of scalp hair is inherited only from your mother's side ? You can not inherit it from your fathers side ?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Prevention better than cure, and more perfect in this case for common baldness, ... all have a healthy hair at the begining.