Estrogen receptor Beta (ER β): grow hair and muscle?

DavidsDome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As already proven: ER α is bad for our hair and thus is ER β good.

Hair cycle control by estrogens: catagen induction via estrogen receptor (ER)-alpha is checked by ER beta signaling

Then I came across these two studies about muscle growth by ER β activation:

Selective estrogen receptor-β activation stimulates skeletal muscle growth and regeneration
Estrogen receptor beta is involved in skeletal muscle hypertrophy induced by the phytoecdysteroid ecdysterone

So in stead of using an ER β agonist as a topical, why not use it oral and grow some muscle as well?

Yes the only thing I can think is... This sounds too good to be true... So probably it is.
Surely there must be some kind of unwanted side effects when we raise our ER β systemically?
Anybody any idea?
I ordered some ecdysterone, so I'm gonna give this a shot purely for the possible muscle growth effect.
Ecdysterone is a bit controversial though. Some studies claim it works, at least one is saying it doesnt work. But that shouldnt matter too much in this discussion.
I wonder if every ER β agonist will have an effect on muscle growth. Because there are very selective ER β agonists around. Why not take them oral?
Curious to hear if somebody else has some more info / opinions on this topic.

DavidsDome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It has no androgenic effect so i would say that it doesnt promotie more body hair...
The only known effect is through er beta signaling. That of course doesn't mean that it doesn't have other mechanisms of action.

Johnson40

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Side effects of old time treatment: Brain fog, ball ache, ED and gyno
Side effects of 2020s treatment: Enhanced muscle growth, Higher libido, Better skin, Longer REM sleep, Reduced anxiety

Isn't the future promising boyos?
Though i'd advise against taking orally poorly studied substance, especially if you're not on peak physical heath and have underlying conditions.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is what WAY is, 67x more selective for ERb then ERa. Check the group buy thread.

DavidsDome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes im aware of WAY.
Hence my interest.
What would happen if we take WAY orally?
Because they are all using it tropical i believe?
In general, oral works better. But of course will it do its thing all over the body.
But if it also improves muscle repair, then that would be great.
Receptor B agonists are also linked with anti inflammatory effects and anti depressant.
So far it just sound like estrogen B agonists are fine, even oral...

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes im aware of WAY.
Hence my interest.
What would happen if we take WAY orally?
Because they are all using it tropical i believe?
In general, oral works better. But of course will it do its thing all over the body.
But if it also improves muscle repair, then that would be great.
Receptor B agonists are also linked with anti inflammatory effects and anti depressant.
So far it just sound like estrogen B agonists are fine, even oral...
Not sure, no one has tried oral.

DavidsDome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Found this regarding another selective ER beta agonist given orally to healthy men:

LY500307 is a highly selective estrogen receptor β (ERβ) agonist, which loses its selectivity at high dose and leads to undesirable suppression of total testosterone (TT) concentration

Not sure if this applies to all selective ER beta agonists of course.
But for those who would like to try oral ER beta agonists, you might want check if the selectivity of the substance used is guaranteed at the taken dose.

On the other hand, ER beta is not associated with feminizing effects in men:
The effects of estrogen are mediated through two estrogen receptors –ER-alpha (ERα) and ER-beta (ERβ)which was discovered in 1996(21-23).ERα is the primary receptor for estrogen’s effects in reproductive systems. Unlike ERα, ERβ is essentially absent from adult pituitary and endometrium so agonists for this receptor subtype would not be associated with risks for chemical castration, feminization effects in men...

DavidsDome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
warning on kidney health regarding ecdysterone use:
In summary, our study demonstrated that ecdysone treatment seems sufficient to cause albuminuria and glomerular injury in murine models. This harmful effect is likely accounted for by a mineralocorticoid-like activity of ecdysone that is able to activate MR in glomerular cells and trigger cytopathic changes, and can be abolished by the MR blockade spironolactone. Our findings suggest that the use of ecdysone, a popular anabolic and adaptogenic agent, may be problematic, at least for kidney health and thus warrants extra precautions.