Estrogen Dominance = DHT overload

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Hello, I am 19 and have a interesting theory on Male Pattern Baldness. I suppose I'm predisposed to male pattern baldness because my old man is bald, his father is bald (yet has more hair than my father/his son). My mothers father had a receding hairline and her mother has diabetes (which can damage hair/hormones).
I believe that male pattern baldness is caused by a hormonal imbalance. When men age their testosterone levels drop and their estrogen rises, some more than others, some not at all.
This is caused by either:
*Increased aromatase activity. (Aromatase is an enzyme that converts androgens into estrogens, for instance, testosterone into estradiol, a potent estrogen).
*Prolonged exposure to Xenoestrogens. (Strong synthetic estrogens that enter the body mostley through synthetic perservatives and additives in food.)
*High insulin levels or insulin resistence. (Eating food high in sugar and refined carbs such as: white bread, pasta, white rice, flour,etc. downregulates SHBG. Low SHBG increses your balding chances.)
*High saturated fat intake. (Saturated fat or animal fat increses cholesterol. The more cholesterol in your body, the more hormones your body makes, often leading to imbalance. Saturated fat reduces phytonutriants such as Lignans and phytosterols form absorbtion im the intestines.)
Another theory of mine is that alpha-5-reductase actully converts estrogen to DHT instead of testosterone, considering testosterone is converted to estrogen via aromatase. So if a man becomes estrogen dominant (which usually begins to occur after the age of 30, but can even start as early as high school), which means the ratio of testosterone to estrogen is off balance; less testosterone, more estrogen, the more DHT he is going to produce.
When testosterone is becomming "depleted" via aromatase enzyme. It is the role of alpha-5-reductase to create more androgens to keep you from literally becomming a woman. The way it does this is by catching the excess estrogen and converting it to DHT, which is ten-times stronger, to make up for the androgen/estrogen deficit, unfortunatly to maintain a full head of hair, you need to have an androgen/estrogen balance of testosterone/estrogen not DHT/estrogen.
The way you do this is actually quite simple and inexpensive. *First you must adjust your diet. No more refind sugar (sodas,candy,table sugar, sweets, etc.). No more refind carbohydrates. When you eat carbohydrates make sure to eat fiber with it. This will reduce the chances of insulin resistance, which can downregulate SHBG. Next is to limit your intake of animal fat, especially milk and butter. Try to eat whole foods and organic foods and also food that lower cholesterol like oatmeal, nuts, etc.
*Next you are going to need to inhibit both armoatase and alpha-5-reductase enzymes at the same time, inhibiting aromatase is more important than inhibiting alpha-5-reductase. The best way to do this is by consuming three table spoons of ground flax seeds daliy, you can find ground flax seeds at any store for cheap! Flax Seeds contain lignans which are phytoestrogens (plant-estrogens) that increase SHBG and balance the testosterone/estrogen ratio. Flax seed lignans inhibit both aromatase and alpha-5-reductase enzymes. Flax seeds also contains the perfect ratio (3:1) of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, which will lower cholesterol and prevent insulin resistance, and zinc, which also inhibits aromatase and alpha-5-reductase.
*And last but not least protect yourself from free-radicals. Free-radicals are molecules that cause aging, they travel around causing damage to your DNA, overtime each cell that gets damaged dies and produces a new cell that is more and more different from the last, due to constant free-radical damage. Antioxidants' purpose is to destroy the harmful free radicals. Out of all the antioxidants you have either water soluable antioxidants (vitimin c) and fat soluable antioxidants (vitimin e). Alpha Lipoic Acid is both fat and water soluable so it gets to every cell in your body. It is fairly cheap and availible at the grocery store, it is also found in spinch. Alpha Lipoic Acid protects against insulin resistance, detoxs the liver, and chelates heavy metals out of your body. In addition to that Alpha Lipoic Acid can pass through the blood-brain-barrier and protects the brain and nervous system from free-radicals and heavy metals.

When I was 17, the right side of my hairline receded neary two inches within 6-months, the year after that the hair on my scalp began to thin all around, and the left side of my hairline bagan to receded as well. I chaged my diet, eating mostly organic and whole foods. I began eating three table spoons of ground flax seeds daily. I began using 400mg of alpha lipoic acid, 200mg in the morning 200mg at night. I began to exercise every other day. Oh Yeah! I nearly forgot: Shampoo! When it comes to shampoo stay away from anything with Sodium Laureth/Laurel Sulfate in it, I use Dr. Bronners peppermint soap, all organic and it washes excess cholesterol off your scalp and increses blood circulation. So if you change your diet, take 3 table spoons of ground flax seeds 400mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid and wash your hair with Dr. Bronners peppermint soap you will regrow hair...trust me it takes a long time but it works...it's that easy! I went from looking like Phil Collins at age 17 to looking like Jack Kerouac by age 19!!! Don't be fooled by those evil pharmasudical corporations that have little reguard for health and sell you crap like propecia and rogaine which can have nasty side effects. Look to Mother Nature for everything... She won't let you down 2-15-2009

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
misterE said:
Don't be fooled by those evil pharmasudical corporations that have little reguard for health and sell you crap like propecia and rogaine which can have nasty side effects. Look to Mother Nature for everything... She won't let you down JME 2-15-2009

BS :thumbdown2:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Another theory of mine is that alpha-5-reductase actully converts estrogen to DHT instead of testosterone, considering testosterone is converted to estrogen via aromatase.

Your theory is wrong. Estrogen doesn't get converted into DHT.

misterE said:
So if a man becomes estrogen dominant (which usually begins to occur after the age of 30, but can even start as early as high school), which means the ratio of testosterone to estrogen is off balance; less testosterone, more estrogen, the more DHT he is going to produce.

Wrong again.

misterE said:
When testosterone is becomming "depleted" via aromatase enzyme. It is the role of alpha-5-reductase to create more androgens to keep you from literally becomming a woman. The way it does this is by catching the excess estrogen and converting it to DHT, which is ten-times stronger, to make up for the androgen/estrogen deficit...

Wrong again. You have a nice streak going here! :)

CCS

Reaction score
MisterE,

All your "theories" (hypothesis is the word you should use) are not backed by any science. A huge body of evidence only completely refutes everything you just said. I'm sure Bryan has explained. I did not read his responses.

CCS

Reaction score
There is little mistery as to why we bald. There a few biological links we don't fully know, but we do know what each of the hormones does to hair, and we have drugs that can stop hair loss if we can just get them in topically. They are working on that, and working on better androgen receptor blockers. Just a matter of better drugs, better vehicles, and better targetting. But we already know what we got to do.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
This is terrible. Diet might play a small small role in hair loss but in the case of male pattern baldness, it comes down to genetics. Also on the theory of flaxseed, I remember seeing a post on balding blog that it can actually thin out the hair more....theres probably nothing to, it just like your claim but eh.

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score
So, basically, your theory is this:

a) Testosterone is not to blame, estrogen is the guilty hormone

Why is it male pattern baldness and not female, then?

b) Healthy, organic food will stop hair loss

I'm a bit of a health freak and I've always had the healthiest diet in the world, but that didn't stop me from losing hair. It was only when I started taking finasteride that my problem was really solved.

'Natural' doesn't always mean 'better'. Sometimes, mother nature sucks.

powersam

Reaction score
*High insulin levels or insulin resistence. (Eating food high in sugar and refined carbs such as: white bread, pasta, white rice, flour,etc. downregulates SHBG. Low SHBG increses your balding chances.)

I don't think that part has been refuted CCS.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Flavio said:
So, basically, your theory is this:

a) Testosterone is not to blame, estrogen is the guilty hormone

Why is it male pattern baldness and not female, then?

b) Healthy, organic food will stop hair loss

Testosterone is not to blame as long as it doesn't get converted to estrogen, which then gets converted to DHT. Is estrogen the guilty hormone? No, DHT is still the guilty hormone, but if you inhibit just alpha-5-reductase you will increase your levels of estrogen, leading to more production of DHT, which you will then have to inhibit, it is a circle. Why is it male pattern baldness and not female? Actually some females tend to have thinning hair during pregnancy when their estrogen levels are sky-high. Women tend to not bald as fast or as bad as men, and I think it has to do with the different amounts of aromatase and alpha-5-reductase enzymes; women have more aromatase enzymes, men with more alpha-5-reductase. Healthy, organic foods will stop hair loss? Not if you have a hormonal balance, but it is one larger step towards mending that imbalance. Anyone can tell you if you don't get good nutriants out of food and you eat alot of hydrogenated oils and synthetic hormones found in dairy, then your hormonal balance will suffer.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Testosterone is not to blame as long as it doesn't get converted to estrogen, which then gets converted to DHT.

Estrogen doesn't get converted to DHT, dumbbell.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your theory is wrong. Estrogen doesn't get converted into DHT.

Wrong again.

Wrong again. You have a nice streak going here! :)
All wrong. All of it. Estrogen combats dht, the more you have, the less susceptible you are to hairloss. This entire theory is incorrect.
I would know, I’m a female, I lost all my estrogen, and it caused AA.