Equol inhibits Hormone Feedback

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
hairrific said:
Also, does EQUOL act on inhibiting type I and II 5-alpha reductase or does it just do something to DHT only?

Equol isn't a 5a-reductase inhibitor. All it does is bind to DHT, disabling it.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
I am still not understanding the.... "30-50% of people that have intestinal bacteria that makes equol". What about the rest of us who don't, how can we get equol if at all, (to expensive from China, is there no other way)?

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

That would explain why I am not finding much info on how except that vegetarians might be increasing their chances by their diet.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
LOL...nice avatar!

Btw, You can get equol, well not directly! You would have to get dietry "Daidzein", this is the compound equol is metabolized from.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol @ the avatar.

The problem with daidzein is precisely that only some people's intestinal bacteria can produce equol from it. So yeah, you could take soy isoflavones and hope for the best, but there's no practical way of knowing beforehand whether your body makes equol or not.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
JLL said:
Lol @ the avatar.

The problem with daidzein is precisely that only some people's intestinal bacteria can produce equol from it. So yeah, you could take soy isoflavones and hope for the best, but there's no practical way of knowing beforehand whether your body makes equol or not.

Bump for a good thread! :punk:

OK guys.. I really like the idea behind Equol and looking for some ways to increase the production of it in the guts.

Here is the stuff I collected so far.

Fermented Soy Powder from NOw:http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Fermented-Soy-Powder-1-lb-454-g/584

Description:
* Made with Organic (Non-GE) Soybeans
* With Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan, Bromelain & Inulin
* Cultured with L. acidophilus, Bifidobacterium spp.,
* L.bulgaricus & S. thermophilus

Probiotic All-Flora :http://www.newchapter.com/products/probiotic-all-flora 2 Capsules or 1 teaspoon powder
Two Capsules Contain:

%DV
Organic Fermented Soy
750 mg
•
Organic Jerusalem Artichoke Inulin (tuber)
125 mg
•
Organic Apple (fruit)
90 mg
•
Proprietary Probiotic Blend**(thermophilus, L. rhamnosus, B. breve, L. acidophilus, B. infantis, B. longum, L. plantarum, L. salivarius, L. helveticus)
35 mg

Add PUFAS to you soy intake:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyunsaturated_fatty_acid
Add Fructooligosacharides also : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructooligosaccharide

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
"equol did not change hormone levels but completely blocked the effects of DHT in rats."

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people ignore this Equol thing so much!

Getting raw foods is one key. See my recipe for a protien shake below.

I take 2 soy isoflavones caps a day which contains:
40 Mg Isoflavones
16 Mg Genistein & Genistin
20 Mg Daidzein & Daidzin (I think this is the one that is converted into Equol)
4 Mg Glycitein & Glycitin

protein shake 30g protein with complete amino acid chain baby:
2 scoops soy protein powder, and this also contains the above amount of isoflavones (vitamin shoppe brand) all the others add sugars, Fructose or sweeteners or artificial sweeteners. Now WHY the hell would they add sugar to that when I add orange juice and bananas it screws up the taste with sugar overload. Add half a bag organic spring mix lettuces, or baby spinach, NO YOU CAN'T TASTE THE VEGETABLES (LETTUCE MIX) AT ALL! ice, flax oil or olive oil, blend in blender. NO YOU CAN'T TASTE THE VEGETABLES (LETTUCE MIX) AT ALL! Delicious. Great way to get some raw organic vegetables! Now I let that mix all up in my colon and maybe you get Equol, LOL!

Only thing, these are phyto-estrogens producing plant products and some people think this is bad to consume. Any info here appreciated.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
hairrific said:
I am still not understanding the.... "30-50% of people that have intestinal bacteria that makes equol". What about the rest of us who don't, how can we get equol if at all, (to expensive from China, is there no other way)?

Just get more good bateria in you guts by taking INULIN/FOS. It promotes probiotic bacteria growth also called prebiotic. JARROW has a good INULIN/FOS supplements for cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inulin Inulin also stimulates the growth of bacteria in the gut....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructooligosaccharide FOS serves as a substrate for microflora in the large intestine, increasing the overall gastrointestinal tract...

Probiotics is also really good.

Will also buy Equol in capsule and add it to my daily soymilk intake.

EQUOL is good!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Bryan said:
hairrific said:
Also, does EQUOL act on inhibiting type I and II 5-alpha reductase or does it just do something to DHT only?

Equol acts like SHBG???

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
hairrific said:
I cannot for the life of me figure out why people ignore this Equol thing so much!

Probably because it's just not a very good drug to try to use for balding. Equol is impossible to buy directly, and doing all this other crap to try to stimulate its production in your own gastrointestinal tract is probably expensive, with completely uncertain results as to whether or not it's really producing more equol. Add to that the fact that equol does pretty much the same thing as using finasteride or dutasteride anyway (which are widely available, relatively inexpensive, and proven to do their job consistently), it's no wonder that nobody's really interested in equol. Its 15 minutes of fame are over! :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
Bryan said:

Equol acts like SHBG???

That's a good way of putting it! :)

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
hairrific said:

Probably because it's just not a very good drug to try to use for balding. Equol is impossible to buy directly, and doing all this other crap to try to stimulate its production in your own gastrointestinal tract is probably expensive, with completely uncertain results as to whether or not it's really producing more equol. Add to that the fact that equol does pretty much the same thing as using finasteride or dutasteride anyway (which are widely available, relatively inexpensive, and proven to do their job consistently), it's no wonder that nobody's really interested in equol. Its 15 minutes of fame are over! :)

Not exciting? Then Bryan look at the big picture: Picture a synthetic pill version of Equol $$ that competes in the the market place with dutasteride and finasteride but its nothing like dutasteride and finasteride because this product "binds to DHT, disabling it" without change in other hormone levels, completely unlike finasteride and dutasteride which inhibiting 5ar.

"Equol isn't a 5a-reductase inhibitor. All it does is bind to DHT, disabling it."
That's the beauty of it Bryan, that sounds like it does something allot different than finasteride and dutasteride.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
hairrific said:
Bryan said:
hairrific said:

Not exciting? Then Bryan look at the big picture: Picture a synthetic pill version of Equol $$ that competes in the the market place with dutasteride and finasteride but its nothing like dutasteride and finasteride because this product "binds to DHT, disabling it" without change in other hormone levels, completely unlike finasteride and dutasteride which inhibiting 5ar.

"Equol isn't a 5a-reductase inhibitor. All it does is bind to DHT, disabling it."
That's the beauty of it Bryan, that sounds like it does something allot different than finasteride and dutasteride.

Equol's mechanism of action is different, because it works by preventing the functioning of DHT rather than by blocking its formation...Equol doesn't influence hormone levels, but prevent DHT from functioning as it normally would by binding to the androgen receptor. This molecule kick *** Bryan!

http://www.biolreprod.org/cgi/content/full/70/4/1188

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
hairrific said:
Not exciting? Then Bryan look at the big picture: Picture a synthetic pill version of Equol $$ that competes in the market place with dutasteride and finasteride but its nothing like dutasteride and finasteride because this product "binds to DHT, disabling it" without change in other hormone levels, completely unlike finasteride and dutasteride which inhibiting 5ar.

Equol works in a different molecular way than finasteride and dutasteride, but the bottom-line effects are the same. That's all that really matters. And finasteride and dutasteride are a lot cheaper than equol, and work more consistently and dependably.

hairrific said:

The ways that all those drugs work differ only in nuance. Again, they essentially do the same thing. It's just that finasteride and dutasteride are a lot cheaper, and far more dependable than equol.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
Equol's mechanism of action is different, because it works by preventing the functioning of DHT rather than by blocking its formation...Equol doesn't influence hormone levels, but prevent DHT from functioning as it normally would by binding to the androgen receptor. This molecule kick *** Bryan!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say that "equol doesn't influence hormone levels", because it certainly _does_ influence LH levels, and almost certainly will cause an upregulation of testosterone levels, just like finasteride and dutasteride do. But in any event, I repeat that the biological effects of equol, finasteride, and dutasteride are strikingly similar, even if they work in slightly different ways. But finasteride and dutasteride are a lot cheaper and more dependable, so I see no reason to use equol.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Bryan said:
squeegee said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say that "equol doesn't influence hormone levels", because it certainly _does_ influence LH levels, and almost certainly will cause an upregulation of testosterone levels, just like finasteride and dutasteride do. But in any event, I repeat that the biological effects of equol, finasteride, and dutasteride are strikingly similar, even if they work in slightly different ways. But finasteride and dutasteride are a lot cheaper and more dependable, so I see no reason to use equol.

Equol doesn't stop the circulation of your actual DHT, it just make it useless..!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
Isn't equol estrogen? If propecia doesn't give you tits, maybe estrogen will.

Equol is a nonsteroidal estrogen...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
Equol doesn't stop the circulation of your actual DHT, it just make it useless..!

It doesn't make any difference which one of those two things you do.